+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for an affordable MIG?

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for an affordable MIG?

I'm looking around for preferably a 220v quality machine that won't cost me thousands of dollars. Obviously I know it's not gonna be a Lincoln or Miller or something like that and that's fine with me. I have some ideas but need more recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for an affordable MIG?

The biggest thing to be concerned about is consumables and parts availability down the road. Service is another consideration. Getting a cheap machine but having it sit in a corner 3 years later because you can't get parts is not saving you any money. A used Lincoln or Miller might be good option. If you want to weld over 1/8" get a 230 volt machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart Ironman 230 or Hobart Handler 210mvp (multi voltage).
    I have a 40 year old Hobart BetaMig200 that’s still cranking along and got a 210mvp last year. It’s a heavy transformer machine with voltage taps (no fancy readout and infinite voltage) but, so far, it’s a solid machine.
    The Ironman appears to be the equivalent of my old BetaMig. Same thing, transformer and voltage taps.
    You can get consumables at Tractor Supply or USAWeld.com.

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My 210MVP has been flawless and the IMO the taps are not an issue at all.

Before I bought it I was leaning toward a machine with the digital display an more tunable settings, but as I did more research I saw many people talk about how the taps were actually fairly easy to dial in and I've found that to be true Also, the tap machines have less components to fail.
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i

6. Likes 12V71, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoyClark View Post
    I'm looking around for preferably a 220v quality machine that won't cost me thousands of dollars. Obviously I know it's not gonna be a Lincoln or Miller or something like that and that's fine with me. I have some ideas but need more recommendations.
    That's like saying "I need a quality vehicle that won't break the bank"....it's not enough information to go on. What are you going to be doing with it?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    That's like saying "I need a quality vehicle that won't break the bank"....it's not enough information to go on. What are you going to be doing with it?
    An HTP 2400 is very hard to beat if purchasing new. If looking at used I would look for a Millermatic 200 from the late 80's . You can find them from $400-$800 used and they are one of the best mig welders ever made. Either machine can do anything you throw at it and you will never need to step up to something better. I have one of each and they are both good machines. If you were close by me I have an HTP 2400 I would sell because I do not need it.

See the HTP at www.usaweld.com

Everlast has some nice units out too.https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgREAE&adurl=
    Last edited by thegary; 07-06-2020 at 02:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    I concur.

Also, what is your budget? "Not thousands of dollars" could mean almost anything. The less vague/ambiguous you are, the better the responses you will get.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

"cost me thousands of dollars" IMHO affordable entry mig machines red or blue abound. If you want diversity regarding material thickness opt for 220V machines. If you are looking for thin sheet metal maybe 110V machines. Big box stores have tapped machines $550 to $750 (Lowes), 110v to 220v. If it were me, I would opt for 220V infinite adjustment. I purchased a 220v miller 175 few years back for $750.00 and have welded everything from mower decks to sheet goods. I then migrated to a larger more capable mig machine for 1800.00. It takes time but all well spent.
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    An HTP 2400 is very hard to beat if purchasing new. If looking at used I would look for a Millermatic 200 from the late 80's . You can find them from $400-$800 used and they are one of the best mig welders ever made. Either machine can do anything you throw at it and you will never need to step up to something better. I have one of each and they are both good machines. If you were close by me I have an HTP 2400 I would sell because I do not need it.

See the HTP at www.usaweld.com

Everlast has some nice units out too.https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgREAE&adurl=
    Thanks for the suggestion you made. I also found a review where they recommend LOTOS MIG175. How is it?

Post Thanks / Like

My personal choices if I were buying today: Under $1000=Harbor Freight Vulcan Migmax 215, Under $2000=Lincoln Powermig 210MP, under $3000=Millermatic 255 (and actually I would spend just over $3K and get the Multimatic 255)

The Harbor Freight machine is really well regarded, and Ave did a tear down video on one a while back, where he gave it high praise. Its a lot of bang for the buck.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I would not take any review from that site as credible as they receive revenue from sales.
    I have an older Millermatic 130 and it still chugs along fine but is 110 only so not in your range.
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

Shop around. I bought a brand new in the box, never been opened, Lincoln 180 for less than $500 at a local pawn shop.

I figured someone had probably bought it five years ago, had it sitting in their garage all that time, and finally decided to pawn it. When I opened it up, and pulled out the warranty card, I found to my surprise that the date of manufacture was only about eight months before I bought it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used this Machine for a few years now, and would recommend it. It has a 60% duty cycle at 180, which is something to consider, if you envision making welds more than a foot long.
    https://www.longevity-inc.com/migweld-200s
    Last edited by geezerbill; 07-06-2020 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Add detail

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion you made. I also found a review where they recommend LOTOS MIG175. How is it?
    Just from that post, I can tell that you should keep whatever cash you have in your pocket and double it. You will get 4x the quality machine for double the price. It really does get a lot better once you cross the $1,000 threshold.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get into a Hobart Handler 190 for somewhere in the 7's. It's been good to me, and I'd recommend it to anybody who doesn't need a MIG to do heavier plate.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the Harbor freight 170 MIG welder is great welder. The cost is under $190.00
    https://www.harborfreight.com/170-am...der-68885.html

I have own larger welders Miller and Hobart great welders but the cost and size is big.
    Today I need a lot cost smaller welder, found the Harbor freight 170 and does good weld.

Dave

Last edited by smithdoor; 07-07-2020 at 01:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart 210 MVP if I was in the market.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant tell if ol' RoyClark is serious; his posts on this forum are few and always very vague.

seems like a bot of some sort.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I cant tell if ol' RoyClark is serious; his posts on this forum are few and always very vague.

seems like a bot of some sort.
    I see nothing that leads me to think it's a bot.
    Maybe he's just a busy person and doesn't get to the site that often...
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a brand new one in a box that never opened, the Lincoln 180 for less than $ 800.

Post Thanks / Like

I always wanted a Linde/Ltec/ESAB Migmaster 250 or a MultiMaster 260. Came close to getting an Ltec Multimaster with a gas tank for $500 when the price was reduced from $800. Have seen a pristine ESAB for maybe a grand awhile back. But my $750. Lincoln SP-175+ works fine. (So do my Lincoln Idealarc 250 and Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC stick welders at $300-$350.)
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

26. Likes docwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i had an ltec dual voltage mig130 and ran the heck out of it. i used it strictly for .035 innershield on 110v for cell block repairs inaccessible to my heavy idealarc. it came set up for solid wire and now goes for around $200. or so used.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

For mig, I like to run a suitcase, but I have an engine drive to power it. If I were looking for an affordable 220v machine, I’d probably go with a Hobart. 210mvp if I didn’t need the amps or a high duty cycle, of the Ironman 240 if I needed I higher duty cycle. You get a lot of machine for the dollar with the hobarts.

Post Thanks / Like

First off what are you attempting to weld? As to your comment about Lincoln and Miller why the beef?Have you owned one and had some bad experience with it or are you just shooting from the hip?I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 140, and have put countless spools of .030 wire through it. Never had an issue.My experience with the Lincoln is actual experience.Not someone said this or someone said that.If you have a problem with the brands name. Let's hear about it. I don't thing that you have any knowledge about what you are saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    First off what are you attempting to weld? As to your comment about Lincoln and Miller why the beef?Have you owned one and had some bad experience with it or are you just shooting from the hip?I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 140, and have put countless spools of .030 wire through it. Never had an issue.My experience with the Lincoln is actual experience.Not someone said this or someone said that.If you have a problem with the brands name. Let's hear about it. I don't thing that you have any knowledge about what you are saying.
    I dont think he is bashing Lincoln or Miller, it's just those brands tend to cost more that off brand names and he does not have the coin for Lincoln or Miller.
    So to him it is obvious that he wont be buying one of those two because of cost

" Obviously I know it's not gonna be a Lincoln or Miller"
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

31. Likes denverguy, weldnhack liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist