Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for an affordable MIG?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for an affordable MIG?

I trust Hobart welder.
    I had very good luck with Hobart welders.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by diesel625 View Post
    For mig, I like to run a suitcase, but I have an engine drive to power it. If I were looking for an affordable 220v machine, Iíd probably go with a Hobart. 210mvp if I didnít need the amps or a high duty cycle, of the Ironman 240 if I needed I higher duty cycle. You get a lot of machine for the dollar with the hobarts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I dont think he is bashing Lincoln or Miller, it's just those brands tend to cost more that off brand names and he does not have the coin for Lincoln or Miller.
    So to him it is obvious that he wont be buying one of those two because of cost

" Obviously I know it's not gonna be a Lincoln or Miller"
    I simply wish that he would be a bit more specific.If he has financial issues then he should say so.I still have financial issues at 64 years of age.RC,have you ever welded with a 120 volt welder?My 140 Lincoln has put down some fantastic welds. BTW,I purchased this welder new from Lowes.It was just under the $400 mark.A new 220 welder is going to cost more than the 120 simply for the functions that it has.As someone mentioned that the welder from Harbor Freight is getting many good reviews.If you have a Home Depot near you look at the Fortney MIG welders.I started my journey into the welding field with a Longevity 100 and still have it in my garage.It still works great and is a flux-core only but it was a start in my welding career. I wish you luck in your search.Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased an Ironman 230 last fall (Black Friday) from northern tool to rebuild a trailer and maintain a tractor, farm equipment, I had previous welding experience with O/A, tig and stick welding but never tried Mig, I found weldingweb mentioned on a tractor site I frequent and did a lot of reading. Decided on the ironman230 mainly due to the fact it didn’t have any expensive motherboards and was rated as more than capable for my requirements. I’ve been welding with it all summer and couldn’t be happier with this welder, I read Dans reviews and totally agree with his reviews, I didn’t find the taps to be a hindrance at all! Thanks again Dan for you honest reviews
    Last edited by Cobraone; 09-17-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it will be a great welder.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraone View Post
    I purchased an Ironman 230 last fall (Black Friday) from northern tool to rebuild a trailer and maintain a tractor, farm equipment, I had previous welding experience with O/A, tig and stick welding but never tried Mig, I found weldingweb mentioned on a tractor site I frequent and did a lot of reading. Decided on the ironman230 mainly due to the fact it didn’t have any expensive motherboards and was rated as more than capable for my requirements. I’ve been welding with it all summer and couldn’t be happier with this welder, I read Dans reviews and totally agree with his reviews, I didn’t find the taps to be a hindrance at all! Thanks again Dan for you honest reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    First off what are you attempting to weld? As to your comment about Lincoln and Miller why the beef?Have you owned one and had some bad experience with it or are you just shooting from the hip?I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 140, and have put countless spools of .030 wire through it. Never had an issue.My experience with the Lincoln is actual experience.Not someone said this or someone said that.If you have a problem with the brands name. Let's hear about it. I don't thing that you have any knowledge about what you are saying.
    Not a lot of experience yet with this new Lincoln Pro 180, but so far it puts down a nice weld . I gave $550 ,still in box ,never been opened. I believe they retail for around $700. I'll bet they are around used ,but not abused for cheaper if one is patient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weldaholic View Post
    Not a lot of experience yet with this new Lincoln Pro 180, but so far it puts down a nice weld . I gave $550 ,still in box ,never been opened. I believe they retail for around $700. I'll bet they are around used ,but not abused for cheaper if one is patient.
    Patient is the key word.

I looked for about a year before I found the deal I wanted on a 220v mig. Ended up with a ProMig 180. I saw a few deals on more expensive welders, but couldn't justify the $1500 or more for all the more I would use it (and what I would be using it for )

I also am happy with it so far.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want new I suggest using keepa.com app to track on Amazon. Select the model you want and the price you want to pay and it sends alerts if that price is achieved. I tracked a welder for a while and it went on sale at crazy low price. Itís free so worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 155 from this company and have been happy with it. I googled for problems on this machine and didn't find anything. Not as good as a Miller or Lincoln, but it's inexpensive. Many reviews on Youtube.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...W-from-Weldpro

If you want to go name brand cheap you need patience. I bought a Miller XMT350 from a pawn shop for $500, a Lincoln 175 Mig for $160 from a private party and a DialARC 250 AF for $180 at an auction. There are still deals to be had, if you can wait.

Check the app Letgo, or letgo.com. They show a Miller XMT350 in the Denver area right now for $750. May be sold, but it was there.

Good luck,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post
    Patient is the key word.

I looked for about a year before I found the deal I wanted on a 220v mig. Ended up with a ProMig 180. I saw a few deals on more expensive welders, but couldn't justify the $1500 or more for all the more I would use it (and what I would be using it for )

I also am happy with it so far.
    Haven't heard anything bad about this Lincoln Pro 180. Been watching the classifieds here, this one I got was on there, still new in the box. I was seeing them used for around a $100 less. I opted for new. Duty cycle is always a concern ,but depending on the type of welding , for me it is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln 180 all the way!!!!!
    Welds last longer than Love...