Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: the best route for line boring?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like

    the best route for line boring?

    hey yall, planning on doing some line boring shortly here, which is a better route obviously being portable is more money but a generator/welder with a suitcase vs. being shop based with a gas welder & feeder is a 1/4 of the price of being mobile. who's doing what? any other idea's im missing here?
    If the conversation isnít money, then Iíll see you later.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    I'm in the heavy equipment repair business, wish I had gotten into line boring a few years back. Anyway I call in a guy that specializes in Line boring and has a truck set up with everything to do the job, Portable is the only way to go. Buckets, etc are easily hauled to a shop, but 120,000 pound machines (loaders, excavators) are not hauled cheap. Just my 2 cents.

  3. Likes thegary, ronsii liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    I think being portable would provide a lot more opportunities because not all machines could be brought to a shop. A portable rig could also be used in a shop with the welder/generator outside.

  5. Likes thegary liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    I use a mag drill and pillow block bearings.
    Bore the hole
    Now make sleave to fit the new bored and the ID to fit the shaft.
    If press fitting the sleave made ID bigger so after pressing the the ID is size I want.

    Very easy and fast.
    If you weld build up it take longer.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by MOE1 View Post
    hey yall, planning on doing some line boring shortly here, which is a better route obviously being portable is more money but a generator/welder with a suitcase vs. being shop based with a gas welder & feeder is a 1/4 of the price of being mobile. who's doing what? any other idea's im missing here?

  7. Likes farmall liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    The opportunities is good where there a lot heavy equipment.
    This type of work does not need a shop. Most companies want you go to there place and do work.
    All you need is a welder, mag drill, small bench lathe, home made boring bar, pillow block bearings to fit boring bar, some plate and angle iron and tubing for sleaves. Do not for get the good old 1/2 ton pickup.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I think being portable would provide a lot more opportunities because not all machines could be brought to a shop. A portable rig could also be used in a shop with the welder/generator outside.

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    A lot of times the customer doesn't want a sleeve. They want it welded up and bored to original size. The welding equipment for this adds a bunch to the cost.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 07-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.

  10. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    3,651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    A lot times the customer doesn't want a sleeve. They want it welded up and bored to original size. The welding equipment for this adds a bunch to the cost.
    It's been my experience with bucket lugs, sleeves will just pound out rapidly. Welding and boring is a must.

  12. Likes thegary, crab fisherman, ronsii liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Boring is simple work.
    You can do boring with no more than a 1/2" hand drill.

    Companies that sell equipment try make boring a complex for there bottom line.

    Even boring bar is simple just drill hole for tool bit and drill tap hole to hole the cutter.
    The cutter is just old drill bit.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    It's been my experience with bucket lugs, sleeves will just pound out rapidly. Welding and boring is a must.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    It's been my experience with bucket lugs, sleeves will just pound out rapidly. Welding and boring is a must.
    This is the truth...
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller XMT 304

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Boring is simple work.
    You can do boring with no more than a 1/2" hand drill.

    Companies that sell equipment try make boring a complex for there bottom line.

    Even boring bar is simple just drill hole for tool bit and drill tap hole to hole the cutter.
    The cutter is just old drill bit.

    Dave
    Having a boring bar to do job every now and then is a different animal than one intended to be used day in and day out and be versatile enough to do anything that is presented are 2 different things. Some automated welding equipment is a must to be efficient . A man that has worked in the realm for a few years could design and build a setup for a reasonable cost but a newbe to the boring would have a hard time making something versatile enough.

  16. Likes ronsii, farmall liked this post
  17. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Western, NY
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    I have two line boring machines and two bore welders everything is portable. I can run it off my truck or run it in the shop. It has been used 2 times in the shop in about 20 years. It cost a fortune to move equipment now a days and some of the jobs I have done was on equipment in a plant that was impossible to move. Regardless of what others say the bore welder is the most important part of this setup. Now don't get me wrong there are times I have cut the bosses off the end of a stick on an excavator. Sometime it is not profitable to the customer to try and weld up a bore you can throw a cat threw.

  18. Likes ronsii, farmall liked this post
  19. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Sweet Iím seeing some good ideaís. I was just curious as far as starting out Iíd like to do in-house buckets, sticks whatever could be brought to me but I will not rule out have a generator/welder for being mobile. I got the set up in mind just need to plan for the bore welder and barís as those can be pricey from what Iíve seen. What are yíall running for bore welders? I know thereís a gentleman in NH that has set ups.

  20. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Any time I have build the hole I just use Flux core or stick.
    I prefer making a sleave over build with welding.
    I try spend any money and only use what I have.
    If buy the equipment you easy spend $10,000.00

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Having a boring bar to do job every now and then is a different animal than one intended to be used day in and day out and be versatile enough to do anything that is presented are 2 different things. Some automated welding equipment is a must to be efficient . A man that has worked in the realm for a few years could design and build a setup for a reasonable cost but a newbe to the boring would have a hard time making something versatile enough.

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Any time I have build the hole I just use Flux core or stick.
    I prefer making a sleave over build with welding.
    I try spend any money and only use what I have.
    If buy the equipment you easy spend $10,000.00

    Dave
    $10,000 is nothing for what a proper setup would be able to make . But I am sure it would cost more unless the equipment was found used. www.repairbores.com has a lot of info and sells everything you need as far as the specialized equipment.
    Last edited by thegary; 07-06-2020 at 02:00 AM.

  22. Likes ronsii liked this post
  23. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    I should have said starting cost.
    That why I used what had on hand and made the tooling need.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    $10,000 is nothing for what a proper setup would be able to make . But I am sure it would cost more unless the quipment was found used.

  24. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    It's a specialized field and the proper equipment for setting up to do it on a regular basis is quite expensive. Most that do line boring, do it as an extra service to their other line of work being it general welding, mechanical repairs or machining. I don't think it's worth the cost if you just want to do in the shop. You'd be cutting out 75% or more of your potential customers.

  25. Likes thegary, theweldor liked this post
  26. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Western, NY
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    And..... Believe me , there is quite a learning curve in all of this. If you are asking I don't believe you will stand a chance to make back the 25 or 30 thousand that can be sunk into one of the better systems out there. Most of the time you really have to think outside of the box to be productive at this venture.

  27. Likes farmall liked this post
  28. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    When I worked as a millwright they would always bring in a align boring/welding outfit every time they would do a valve rebuild on the turbines in the power plants. They were usually there for about a week working around the clock welding and reboring the guides for the valves. Those guys were on a steady schedule going from power plant to the next every fall and spring. They were charging $250 hr + travel expenses for their men. With a minimum mobilization fee of like $2500. As I went from power house to power house we would run into the same guys frequently. They some times would also have a metal disintegrator and remove broken bolts and studs too. If they were doing that it was like $5000 mobilization fee just to show up ready to work. But they would travel the whole country doing that.

    Those prices I gave you were from 10 years ago, thats how long I've been retired from millwrighting.

  29. Likes ronsii liked this post
  30. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Work you doing it taken from someone else.
    Even 25% can be big market.
    I would not try just line boring as only work.
    To do the work Does Not need costly equipment. It is a very basic and you see drawings of line boring be for photography was invented.

    I would never buy a line boring machine from places like CLIMAX. Great tool but all the work is in cutter and pillow block bearings.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    It's a specialized field and the proper equipment for setting up to do it on a regular basis is quite expensive. Most that do line boring, do it as an extra service to their other line of work being it general welding, mechanical repairs or machining. I don't think it's worth the cost if you just want to do in the shop. You'd be cutting out 75% or more of your potential customers.

  31. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    The first time did line boring I look up in Encyclopaedia Britannica. It showed a guy hand crank for power from around 1800.
    So I had 1/2" hand drill some 1/2" scrap plate and a shaft.

    Machine the shaft to drill and drill holes for cutters. Used the plate for bearings by boring a hole to fit the shaft.
    Chuck the boring bar and push through the hole.

    It was very low budget.

    Dave

  32. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    I think you'd want a commercial set up to do as a steady business.

  33. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  34. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    To me line boring would add to a going business to get more work. As in rebuild earth moving buckets.
    You find a lot of weld shops that can do just welding.
    But adding in Line Boring to bucket repair/rebuild. Just give a step up from other weld shops.
    Machine Shop most think the cost is high for any work done.

    Here a few photos of line boring using mag drill.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Zq7fPDGM&id=BBBFFA5C2C40 9746B59C0ED5961C3E8D96199E12&thid=OIP.Zq7fPDGMFtep sPNoh0_sQwHaL0&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.american machinetools.com%2Fimages%2Fold_drill.jpg&exph=519 &expw=325&q=line+boring+with+mag+drill&simid=60801 2702990993195&ck=4585154A48AC96312B06D259102D673F& selectedindex=27&vt=4&sim=11

    https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=b3FqaNbl&id=BBBFFA5C2C40 9746B59C6935B9FF3B215DBAA78D&thid=OIP.b3FqaNblZk0o PtZUc12wcwAAAA&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.american machinetools.com%2Fimages%2Fhole_reboring.jpg&exph =451&expw=325&q=line+boring+with+mag+drill&simid=6 08044863621956163&ck=4059FF3C0EC83F28D01888A1EBE1B 4EE&selectedindex=11&pc=EMMX01&vt=4&sim=11

    https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=VelaSqw%2B&id=BBBFFA5C2C 409746B59CCA9FC7288A5DDEDC0B53&thid=OIP.VelaSqw-wMCaPm02RoMOTQHaEj&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amer icanmachinetools.com%2Fimages%2Fline_boring_photo-2.jpg&exph=200&expw=325&q=line+boring+with+mag+dri ll&simid=608013815401284001&ck=7F957DA454625C564C7 7531DF390F263&selectedindex=6&pc=EMMX01&vt=4&sim=1 1

    Dave

    PS: I been doing line boring since was 14 .

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I think you'd want a commercial set up to do as a steady business.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 07-07-2020 at 02:22 AM.

  35. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Sweet guys thanks for All the info. I plan on Comin into the game doing line boring as itís what I was asked if I did vs just saying I can weld. I have a set up in mind for the welding but the boring set up I gotta figure out. Maybe I can find something used sitting in someoneís garage some where lol

  36. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    To me line boring would add to a going business to get more work. As in rebuild earth moving buckets.
    You find a lot of weld shops that can do just welding.
    But adding in Line Boring to bucket repair/rebuild. Just give a step up from other weld shops.
    Machine Shop most think the cost is high for any work done.

    Here a few photos of line boring using mag drill.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...27&vt=4&sim=11

    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...01&vt=4&sim=11

    https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...01&vt=4&sim=11

    Dave

    PS: I been doing line boring since was 14 .
    None of your links open.

  37. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: the best route for line boring?





    I hope this works
    I thing a good mag is very important part welding shop.
    The one have in use for drill but I also for tapping , boring and facing.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    None of your links open.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 07-07-2020 at 10:11 PM.

  38. Likes whtbaron, farmall liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,603,320,348.36450 seconds with 12 queries