+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Shop and a Request for TIG Recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

My Shop and a Request for TIG Recommendation

Hi all.
    Background
    I'm 52 and live in CT. I do cyber security work for a living and have always maintained my home, cars, and motorcycles so I enjoy working with my hands. Welding and metal work was always on my todo list and 2 years ago I did something about it. I took three college welding classes at a local community college that had a recent infusion of state grant money. Suffice to say, I learned how to weld and learned how to use all of the shop equipment - presses, torches, presses, etc. I spent most of my time stick welding in all the positions, but also spent some time on MIG and TIG.

My Gear
    My current house has only 100 AMP service. I've looked into an upgrade but based on underground wiring and how it enters the house, it has been cost-prohibitive. Based on that I bought an engine-driven welder and attachments. That has enabled me to practice the various processes, though before last weekend, it had been about 8 months since I touched any of it. Here is what I have:

Thermal-Arc TA-10/270-HE. This is a DC CC/CV machine.
    Tweco stinger
    50' cables
    Miller S-32P MIG suitcase setup for gas and .035 wire with a Bernard 300 AMP gun
    CK 17 FX TIG torch with gas valve
    SSC C810 14-pin TIG foot pedal

Hobart Handler 135 110v machine setup for .035 wire.

With this setup I generally run 7018 rods for ARC welding. I use the suitcase on CV for most MIG stuff I do unless it's thin metal and I use the Hobart just because its quicker to setup and use since it's 110v. Besides flash, the screen also provides wind protection at my garage door.

The TIG setup is fairly new, so I spent some time last weekend playing around with the lift start, machine settings, etc. I finally got it to a point where I could make puddles.

Attachment 1713184

TIG Recommendation

With my current setup I can pretty much weld anything. The problem is that welding time involves running the engine, which gets a little old sometime. Winters also suck since my garage isn't heated, though I can get it fairly warm with portable heat. I'm also considering a propane heater. My garage is adjacent to my kitchen. My stove is adjacent to the dividing wall and has a 3 prong plug with double tapped 40 AMP fuses in the panel. I was thinking I could have another run from the panel to my garage with the same setup or maybe 50 AMP circuit that I could use to run a machine when the stove isn't in use. So if I do that, what kind of machine could I get that would allow me to do more TIG welding and improve my skills with that process. I know I can also run it off my generator/welder too. I am a hobby welder who enjoys welding and wants to see where this takes me.
    Thanks
    Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nicksorg; 07-07-2020 at 09:09 PM. Reason: fix picture orientation

2. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Shop and a Request for TIG Recommendation

If you have 100 amp power you have a lot of options. Do you have open breaker space in the panel? There is no excuse to mess with the range. Run from the panel with #6 copper, put it on a 60 amp breaker. ALL inverter welders will work on that, many transformer units will also.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

4. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A 200A modern inverter TIG welder will only pull about 30A, and that's IF you run it full-tilt. My Invertig 221 at WOT only sucks up 32A. Since it has a 20% duty cycle, for a TIG like it, all you'd need is a #10 wire with a 30A breaker. The Ieff rating on 230V is 12A due to the duty cycle, so it allows derating of the wire, so 10awg would be just fine for it. Surely you can spare 30A from your 100A service for 2min out of every 10min?

When you say, "welding time involves running the engine, which gets a little old sometime.", do you mean it gets old because of the expense of fuel, or because of the noise?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I upgraded the panel last year and there is plenty of room for additional breakers. Sometimes the engine noise from the welder/generator concerns me based on my family and neighbors. Additionally, I learned TIG on a unit that had a HF start so that was a little better than lift start.

Post Thanks / Like

You can always build a sound-proof enclosure for the generator too. I just built a "prototype" for mine to test out Roxul soundproofing material inside the walls of the enclosure, and it works amazingly well. Top, bottom, and sides are 2.5" wide, with 3" thick Roxul stuffed inside. Front/back have downward-facing large-opening ducts; front is fresh air intake with a 10" fan to force air in, rear is where all air/exhaust exits. Reduces sound to inconsequential levels.
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-08-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Check out your transformer. I share a transformer with two neighbors. Standard transformer might be 25 KW (104 amps) They'll tolerate double that for short periods. Dimming lights in the whole neighborhood prompted the power company to upgrade us to 37.5 KW.

There are numerous stretches of conductors between your transformer, and welder. Each loses some voltage. Most inverter welders adjust, but transformer welders work best at or above rated voltage.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

60 amp breaker should cover it. Just make sure no one turns the oven or dryer on when you're welding. I had a Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255 transformer hooked up by an electrician on a 60 amp breaker. No problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the engine noise from the welder/generator concerns me based on my family and neighbors.
    Knowing West Hartford as intimately as I do (I was a paramedic there for 10 years), I can't imagine one of your neighbors hasn't called the cops to complain already! I would ditch the TA and get an inverter or two. As Bill mentioned you have lots of options for a 240 volt circuit to the garage. Something like a Lincoln 210MP or a Miller Multimatic 215 could pretty much replace your entire setup since the TA only has DC welding output. You may not need the full 270 amps of power as a hobby guy, but if you do, you could go with something like an ESAB Rebel 285 or a Miller Multimatic 255. The bigger Miller gives you pulse MIG and only draws 40 amps at its rated output. The smaller Miller only draws 27 amps. With all of these you get MIG, Stick and Lift TIG in one unit.
    Miller Multimatic 255

11. Likes nicksorg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Knowing West Hartford as intimately as I do (I was a paramedic there for 10 years), I can't imagine one of your neighbors hasn't called the cops to complain already!
    That's funny. You do know my town. I like your recommendation. If I can get it to all work out, I would save a bunch of space also. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I actually live close by..like 20 miles west. Let me know what you get. We can set up a weld-o-rama...
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I recommend a primeweld 225 tig inverter, or if you want to spend double, a sanrex sanarg 180ap .

15. Likes DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I actually live close by..like 20 miles west. Let me know what you get. We can set up a weld-o-rama...
    Sounds good. I don't know anyone else in this town who welds, shoots, wrenches, etc...
    Last edited by nicksorg; 07-09-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I run a 100' 10 ga extension cord from my basement dryer outlet to my upstairs attached garage. The dryer isn't in use much and that gives me 220v/30a which has never been a limitation.

I can weld 1/4 material easily all day.

18. Dislikes CrookedRoads disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anyone else in this town who welds, shoots, wrenches, etc...
    That's true. About as close as you will come is someone who fly fishes and hangs out at the Orvis up in Avon. :-)
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with a Multimatic 220 AC/DC as it has AC capability so you will be able to weld alooominum with the Tig process.

The Multimatic 255 is only DC.

But it's easy to spend your money

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...process-welder
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

That's true. About as close as you will come is someone who fly fishes and hangs out at the Orvis up in Avon. :-)
    Gee, I live 14 miles from Orvis main store in Manchester. Our former neighbor worked in returns. She'd save buckets full of fishing rod parts. Sort through the buckets I could build a new rod. Those are expensive! We had $200. down filled dog beds.

I don't think I've been in the store in 40 years. Native born Vermonters aren't allowed in Manchester at all.

Post Thanks / Like

As winter draws close, I thought I would update everyone on my gear. I decided to sell my engine driven welder and my Hobart 135. I purchased a Miller Syncrowave 200 and then a Multimatic 200. I was really busy with work and trying to get my exterior house work done that I didn't get a chance to use either. A couple weeks ago, I had some free time and tried both. I'm really impressed with both machines. The stick and Tig welding on the Syncrowave are very similar to what I used when I took a few semesters of welding at a local community college and the HF pedal is awesome.

I setup the Multimatic 200 with a spool of .035 solid wire and it also welds really well.

Nick

23. Likes Shootr, Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One major point I forgot to mention. I had a couple of engine driven welders because I thought I didn't have the power to run something like I have now. That was based on the fact that I have underground feed to my panel and I couldn't get the power company out to upgrade my service to 200 amps.

I weld in my 2 car garage that is attached to my kitchen. For this gear, I bought an adapter to plug into my stove outlet which is on the wall between the kitchen and garage. I've been using that with a purpose-built extension cord to run both welders without issue. Now that I know it works, I will have an electrician come out and wire a dedicated plug in the garage and just remember that I shouldn't weld while the stove is on.

The only downside to this setup is I live in New England and my garage isn't heated. I've been thinking about going with a propane heater with a dedicated tank in back from the propane company. That would be a really nice addition, particularly as it will let me work on cars and my Harley. I would then need a fume extractor to weld. Some things to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lincoln square wave 200. It was just serviced under warranty. The ENTIRE internals were replaced with a brand new unit (better design). I am looking to sell it along with all the accessories. 1200 shipped. Interested?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicksorg View Post
    Hi all.
    Background
    I'm 52 and live in CT. I do cyber security work for a living and have always maintained my home, cars, and motorcycles so I enjoy working with my hands. Welding and metal work was always on my todo list and 2 years ago I did something about it. I took three college welding classes at a local community college that had a recent infusion of state grant money. Suffice to say, I learned how to weld and learned how to use all of the shop equipment - presses, torches, presses, etc. I spent most of my time stick welding in all the positions, but also spent some time on MIG and TIG.

My Gear
    My current house has only 100 AMP service. I've looked into an upgrade but based on underground wiring and how it enters the house, it has been cost-prohibitive. Based on that I bought an engine-driven welder and attachments. That has enabled me to practice the various processes, though before last weekend, it had been about 8 months since I touched any of it. Here is what I have:

Thermal-Arc TA-10/270-HE. This is a DC CC/CV machine.
    Tweco stinger
    50' cables
    Miller S-32P MIG suitcase setup for gas and .035 wire with a Bernard 300 AMP gun
    CK 17 FX TIG torch with gas valve
    SSC C810 14-pin TIG foot pedal

Hobart Handler 135 110v machine setup for .035 wire.

With this setup I generally run 7018 rods for ARC welding. I use the suitcase on CV for most MIG stuff I do unless it's thin metal and I use the Hobart just because its quicker to setup and use since it's 110v. Besides flash, the screen also provides wind protection at my garage door.

The TIG setup is fairly new, so I spent some time last weekend playing around with the lift start, machine settings, etc. I finally got it to a point where I could make puddles.

Attachment 1713184

TIG Recommendation

With my current setup I can pretty much weld anything. The problem is that welding time involves running the engine, which gets a little old sometime. Winters also suck since my garage isn't heated, though I can get it fairly warm with portable heat. I'm also considering a propane heater. My garage is adjacent to my kitchen. My stove is adjacent to the dividing wall and has a 3 prong plug with double tapped 40 AMP fuses in the panel. I was thinking I could have another run from the panel to my garage with the same setup or maybe 50 AMP circuit that I could use to run a machine when the stove isn't in use. So if I do that, what kind of machine could I get that would allow me to do more TIG welding and improve my skills with that process. I know I can also run it off my generator/welder too. I am a hobby welder who enjoys welding and wants to see where this takes me.
    Thanks
    Nick
    Get a little mini-split Diaken or Fijutsu or even Mitsubishi for the garage. They supply heat and AC. Some go down to minus 5 Fahrenheit at 100 percent efficiency. Just keep the garage at 55 and if you are still cold turn it up. They absorb heat from outside and bring it inside.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist