+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LN25 & CC Machine

Post Thanks / Like

LN25 & CC Machine

As I understand it, if you have a CC machine (SAE300), larger self shielded flux core wire runs better through an LN25. What wire size would you recommend for general repair of farm implements/heavy equipment? Also, does anyone run flux core for hard surfacing? If so, what do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LN25 & CC Machine

1/16, .068 or 5/64" depending on brand would be the most common. You need to determine the strength requirements and the basic self-shielded wire isn't designed for dynamic loading like on heavy equipment. The wire designed for such applications is quite a bit more expensive. Flux-core hardfacing requires different drive rolls (U-groove). Smallest diameters generally require shielding gas but some don't. It works pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheats View Post
    As I understand it, if you have a CC machine (SAE300), larger self shielded flux core wire runs better through an LN25. What wire size would you recommend for general repair of farm implements/heavy equipment? Also, does anyone run flux core for hard surfacing? If so, what do you use?
    NR 233 or NR 232 works very good on heavy equipment and runs good on CC. I use it all the time on mining machinery, 1/16 is what size i run, but 068 and 072 work well too. I dont do much hardfacing at all, we use very hard AR plate like AR 400 and AR 500. Sonmetimes we use some stuff called Cruesabro 8000, really hard stuff, make sure you preheat any of the AR plate if you use it though. Maybe one of the other fellas can clue you in about hardfacing wire
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 07-18-2020 at 08:51 PM.

4. Likes theweldor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK using CC in a wire feeder, you can not do anything other then flat. I did a bit of it years ago and it was strange, you pulled the trigger, the wire came out and stuck to the work, the power source went under load, then the end burned off and welding started.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never run a ln25, but have run the Miller 12vs on cc many times. For general farm repair, I like to use coreshield 11. Usually in 1/16”. I’ve used it to build miles of pipe fence, cattle guards, trusses, and serval other things. For equipment repair, I like to use coreshield 8. I’ve never had an issue with the wire sticking to the work as mentioned above. I can run it stacked like 6010, or really smooth like 7018. Doesn’t matter the position in my case. It leaves excellent looking welds every time. I’ve run it off numerous power sources with no issue. These are the only types of flux cored wire I’ve ran through the suitcase. I’ve never heard faced with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    AFAIK using CC in a wire feeder, you can not do anything other then flat. I did a bit of it years ago and it was strange, you pulled the trigger, the wire came out and stuck to the work, the power source went under load, then the end burned off and welding started.
    My guess is you might have been using an E70T type wire, that stuff is only for flat work, E71T wire will run in any position on CC or CV, i had an old Miller BIG 40 years ago and ran that wire all day long with no trouble in any position. Even today with my 502D with the CV capability, there is times it seems to go easier on CC for whatever crazy reason

8. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheats View Post
    Also, does anyone run flux core for hard surfacing? If so, what do you use?
    ive used stoody super 20, in a 1/16 dia., it was $1200 a 33lb roll. ( high dollar cuz its not only good, but w/stood high heat). id think there would be stuff less $

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    ive used stoody super 20, in a 1/16 dia., it was $1200 a 33lb roll. ( high dollar cuz its not only good, but w/stood high heat). id think there would be stuff less $
    That's a specialty wire so not a fair comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Just so you know. If the welding you are wanting to do is code work you best have the correct equipment and procedures even if you can burn the wire in CC.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist