+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motor bike seat pan.

Post Thanks / Like

Motor bike seat pan.

I'm bringing a TX650 back to life with quite a few mods. This is a single seat pan I've built with a rear cowl. Material is a little to thick at 1.2mm, but that's what I had, so that's what I used. First time around the cowl was one piece, the angle of the cowl didn't match the tank angle, so I cut the cowl off and decreased the angle of the pan's upswept section. This of course meant the cowl was now too short along the bottom rail. To fix, I cut the cowl in half, increased the angle and tacked the cowl further forward. This unfortunately left a 3mm gap between the two sections of the cowl which I filled with weld. After bending the cowl to suit the shape of the pan upsweep, I tacked the two halves in place. As the the sheet was so thick, at 1.2mm, I could weld the cowl on in fairly long sections without fear of distortion. After cleaning up the weld, I bent up a small hump to weld at the front of the pan to clear the tank mounting bracket. The pan turned out pretty good, so the next job was to design and fabricate a front mount. For this I used a small piece of 3mm plate, welded an 8mm spigot to it and bolted it to the pan. The frame mount was a piece of 22mm tube, welded to a piece of 3mm x 25mm shaped angle. a small piece of 8mm ID rubber tube slides over the spigot on the pan and is seated inside the 22mm tube giving a rubber mount to protect against the vibes of the TX650 I haven't decided on a rear mount yet, but I'm leaning toward a mount either side of the cowl, just above the shocky mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. Likes Mikel_24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motor bike seat pan.

This is the front seat mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

4. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motor bike seat pan.

Very cool

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist