Thread: Prince spool gun connection to older welders

Post Thanks / Like

Prince spool gun connection to older welders

Hello, newbie here, I've got a Prince XL spool gun that I need to connect to one of my welders. I have an old Airco Heliwelder IV 300amp that I use for tig projects, and I have an old Linde/Union Carbide VI 206 with a Mig-31 wire feeder that i use for mig projects. I also have a Powcon SGS III weld control WC-3 that I got with the spool gun. The Powcon unit has an extra switch someone installed and selects between 115v, off, and 24v. This Powcon unit is very simular to the MK 001-3062 WC-1, with the exception it does not have the "Posa Start". I cannot find a manual for the Powcon unit. I did find a reference to using the MK 001-3062 WC-1 with my Airco, but it states that it will only work in spray mode and cored wire.
    In a perfect world, I want to use the Powcon unit with my Linde welder, verses buying a new WC-1 for the $700.
    Can anyone here help a guy out with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prince spool gun connection to older welders

The Airco unit is a constant current welder. Limits what you can do with wire feeders.
    The VI 206 is a good mig welder. Constant voltage welder.
    The prince gun is just a holder with a motor and speed adjuster. Nothing to drive the motor. That is what is in the wc1 or a torpedo. To connect to the VI206 the weld control needs to be able to operate on 115 volts and have a cord the can connect to the terminal strip inside the welder. Or to the feeder plug.
    Go to MK products web site and look up manual 091-0458
    Gives connection instructions to many different welders.
    The switch on the powcon module might switch what voltage it will operate on.
    If I find time I will try to see if I have a manual for it.
    To adapt the VI 206 to operate a 24 volt controller. you will need a 115 to 24 volt step down transformer and a 24 volt relay. with this you can run a 24 volt control on a 115 volt control circuit welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I understand, thanks. Yes a manual for the powcon unit would be good. Best if i could put it back the to original, but only if original was 115v in, then i could use it with my Linde.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, with no manual, and my brothers help, I think its back to original condition. Seems to be working fine.