Thread: Lincoln 180 Dual - Wire Feed

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln 180 Dual - Wire Feed

I picked up a Dual 180 mig welder. When I plug in the 230v plug, the wire roller moves and feeds and it looks like the gas is on also. I checked the polarity connections and even opened the gun to verify the trigger isn't depressed. Suggestions?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln 180 Dual - Wire Feed

Quote Originally Posted by nicksorg View Post
    I picked up a Dual 180 mig welder. When I plug in the 230v plug, the wire roller moves and feeds and it looks like the gas is on also. I checked the polarity connections and even opened the gun to verify the trigger isn't depressed. Suggestions?
    Thanks
    Where the gun whip connects to the welder box disconnect the smaller wire and plug... also does this same thing happen when you use the 120v plug??? the way your post is written kind of hints it doesn't... if it still does this after disconnecting the smaller wires then could be a short inside the box or stuck relay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Where the gun whip connects to the welder box disconnect the smaller wire and plug... also does this same thing happen when you use the 120v plug??? the way your post is written kind of hints it doesn't... if it still does this after disconnecting the smaller wires then could be a short inside the box or stuck relay.
    I didn’t try it using the 120v plug. I’ll try unplugging the small connector. What am I testing by doing that? Am I isolating the mig gun vs the box as the source of the problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicksorg View Post
    I didn’t try it using the 120v plug. I’ll try unplugging the small connector. What am I testing by doing that? Am I isolating the mig gun vs the box as the source of the problem?
    Yes, that will tell you if there is a short in the gun and whip. from there you'd have to open the box and then work your way back from the plug on the face of the welder that the whip plugs into - look to make sure they haven't got a solder blob or tiny piece of wire shorting one of the terminals... then on to the board where the relay is... I would guess 120v plug will do the same...

Post Thanks / Like

I have this one. The only thing I have issues with is: the trigger is very sensitive, if I breathe hard on it, "the wire rolls".
    The spring behind (inside) the trigger is mushy soft.
    Maybe you have the same issue, , , ,

-c-
    What is the sound of one knee jerking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I have this one. The only thing I have issues with is: the trigger is very sensitive, if I breathe hard on it, "the wire rolls".
    The spring behind (inside) the trigger is mushy soft.
    Maybe you have the same issue, , , ,

-c-
    Buy a new trigger for your gun. will come with a new spring i think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    Buy a new trigger for your gun. will come with a new spring i think.
    I took it apart, once. The trigger seems ok, but the spring is extremely weak. It took 45 minutes to put it back together, just the spring & trigger, with a stiffer spring, I donno how long to re-assemble it.

-c-
    What is the sound of one knee jerking?