Thread: Century 250 Mig

Post Thanks / Like

Century 250 Mig

There is a century 250 mig for sale locally for $1200, seems over priced for sure. Iím not sure if it comes with the bottle or not. Anyway, I cannot find any info on this. All I find online are the 255 or other models on Lincolnís site. On the face it says itís rated for 60% duty cycle 225 amps.

Iím looking for more info on it, maybe a manual and what it should be worth without the bottle. Any known problems, or should I avoid it?

Sorry if this does not belong in the Lincoln category, seemed fitting since I thought Lincoln made them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Century 250 Mig

Name:  09AC14D3-E8C9-4A20-A5BC-5F2E0E9ADB6D.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  81.4 KBName:  D5475E81-13A6-423B-A761-6C2C17CC9CD2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  86.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Some where on the welder will be the specs. with the specs will be the model number. Starts with 117-xxx. You can try and go the Lincolns web site and look up the parts manual. Or call 866-236-0044 tech support for these old machines.
    Price seems high for the welder alone. would need to be in like new condition with an owner bottle and lots of goodies, some parts are no longer available for these welders.

Post Thanks / Like

It has spot and stitch weld timers which could be desirable for some applications and looks like it was taken care of. If it comes with the cylinder and the cylinder can be refilled the price isn't out of line.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure Lincoln made that machine?. Might want to check with Lincoln. You are probably better if it is not a Lincoln product. Since Lincoln produce them as cheaper alternatives?

Tough call on the price. I had a friend who owned one, it seemed to worked fine for him. We also had a local certified century repairman he said the only issue he had was getting parts for service. That was around when lincoln took over.

Post Thanks / Like

i have 160 amp model of that machine. Nice simple machine. Not much to go wrong with it. Parts are available, with the exception of the control board. That being said, the control board is super simple and could be fixed with pretty much no electronics experience. I am not a pro welder by any stretch. I do what my Grandfather called "farm welding" (aka good enough to be safe, but not NASA quality)

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely made when century was century before Clore automotive bought them and then sold to Lincoln. Model number appears to be right under the Miggun.
    unless he has retired there was one guy working for Lincoln that came from Century.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

New guy here, not a professional welder, just a retired guy and home machinist that occasionally needs to weld things.

I just bought one of these Century 250 welders at an auction. Since the auction was on-line only I had to rely on the pictures posted by the auction house. Pictures don't always show the real condition, but then again I didn't pay a lot for it either, just enough to sting if is not repairable.

Mine is in much rougher shape than the one pictured in a previous post by kent_man.

In fact mine, won't draw an arc.

I get 30 volts DC, from the MIG gun to ground when I trigger the MIG Gun, the gas solenoid works as does the wire feeder. At the Crydom relay I see 240v AC and 0 to 8.7 volts on the control side of the relay which varies when the Heat Selector is adjusted while the gun is triggered, thus the circuit board appears to be working. Thermal switch mounted above the rectified diodes has continuity. I have a schematic or diagram of the machine but little else.

I am seeking some help, please!

I need a manual and if anyone has had this issue before, what did it take to fix it? Also, how does one load test the rectifier diodes?

For what it's worth, the Lincoln website has no information on this welder. I haven't yet given them a phone call.

model 117-042-907 serial # H143975 Date 08/21/97

Further, I have a working Hobart GR-303 that is excess to my needs and will consider reasonable offers.

Post Thanks / Like

see post #3 for how to get manuals.
    Use just 117-042 The owners manual and parts list with circuit diagrams are all there. support tab to find parts then browse as guest.
    Last edited by ccawgc; 09-03-2020 at 01:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CCAWGC! I now have the manual, part list and a readable schematics.

I appreciate the help.