Thread: Make Something Useful out of a Package Conveyor

Post Thanks / Like

Make Something Useful out of a Package Conveyor

$20 Craigslist score - it's one of those portable skate wheel package movers like delivery companies use to load trucks.

Name:  IMG_20200724_113442-01.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  245.6 KB

I pulled a section out of it - collapsed it's 2' deep, but can open up to 4' long if fully extended. (18" wide) In that extended state, it'll support 150lbs spread out along the length - very stiff and stable.

Name:  IMG_20200724_115328-01.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  236.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20200724_115153-01.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  172.8 KB

It rolls very easily and the height is adjustable - so I'm thinking some sort of spare work bench - a place to keep lesser used tools like the portaband chop saw, extra space for laying out hand tools (to keep my primary worktable less cluttered).

Current work table is steel topped old kitchen cabinets with a 4" vise at one corner (3' x 6' overall) which works plenty good for me.

Name:  IMG_20200613_132110-01.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  131.2 KB

I can pull all the skate wheels and leave the cross shafts (tedious but doable) so it's more flat and not have to deal with the wheels. But...

It would be really tailored for my needs if I had flat steel on the top - so maybe 2 or 3 pieces of flat steel that would only be secured at one end, and able to slide under/over the others when the thing is collapsed.

Name:  IMG_20200724_114939_1-01-01.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  126.9 KB

Or maybe I'm overlooking other options that you may suggest?
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Make Something Useful out of a Package Conveyor

20 bux is a heck of a deal... just try to buy one of them when you need it and you'll pay a *lot* more!!!

Personally I'd leave it's main structure intact and just slap a flat surface on it with some sort of temp poles to keep it from moving if you need more bench real estate.

4. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw a neat trick in a different thread, might be just what you want. A couple lengths of angle, toes up, laid between rows would hold plate nice and stable. Probably rise and fall as the base expanded or contracted. Wouldn't have to weld or make permanent alterations, just store the plate and angles close by, use as needed.
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

6. Likes wb4rt, Shootr, whtbaron, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    20 bux is a heck of a deal... just try to buy one of them when you need it and you'll pay a *lot* more!!!

Personally I'd leave it's main structure intact and just slap a flat surface on it with some sort of temp poles to keep it from moving if you need more bench real estate.
    LOL, I sell them (work for a conveyor supply and repair company), $1200-1400 for one this size. The casters lock tight so once it's extended and casters locked - it doesn't try to walk away. Just that section is about 70 pounds.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

They make a perfect truck unloader too (scrap run for some project materials):

Name:  IMG_20200725_083950-01.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  241.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20200725_084340-01.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  306.4 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful score! I would have loved to find one of them for pennies like that.

I'd leave it as-is, personally. No matter how you weld it, it'll never be a nice stiff bench. If you put a heavy top on it, you'll lose the convenience of it folding up and adjusting in height easily. And you'll still have the problem of it being flimsy. Having a convenient off-loader for your truck is very handy, and that it folds away when you don't need it only makes things better.

As said above, if you really need a bench to weld on.... just throw some angle iron in between the rollers. With four or five pieces of angle dropped in, they naturally settle so they're even, and you can pop them out and store them on a shelf whenever you're done. With all the spaces between the rollers and angle, it makes for a dandy cutting/grinding table because everything drops to the ground.
    Last edited by VaughnT; 07-25-2020 at 04:08 PM.

11. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Wonderful score! I would have loved to find one of them for pennies like that.

I'd leave it as-is, personally. No matter how you weld it, it'll never be a nice stiff bench. If you put a heavy top on it, you'll lose the convenience of it folding up and adjusting in height easily. And you'll still have the problem of it being flimsy. Having a convenient off-loader for your truck is very handy, and that it folds away when you don't need it only makes things better.

As said above, if you really need a bench to weld on.... just throw some angle iron in between the rollers. With four or five pieces of angle dropped in, they naturally settle so they're even, and you can pop them out and store them on a shelf whenever you're done. With all the spaces between the rollers and angle, it makes for a dandy cutting/grinding table because everything drops to the ground.
    I still have the other half of the conveyor that I'll keep as a loader/unloader for now. Mostly I wanted a little more benchtop real estate for the chop saw and/or a place to spread out tools when working on the main bench.

The 5/16" plate cleaned up good enough for me, I smoothed the edges and tacked one end of the longest piece to a row of skate wheels. Then I tacked the shorter piece at one end to another row of wheels (using some nuts as height spacers so the longer plate could easily slide under the shorter one.

Name:  IMG-20200725-114619-01.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  357.8 KB

Name:  IMG-20200725-114439-01.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  261.9 KB

It still collapses down to store more easily. The caster brakes work great so there's not much if any shimmy when I'm using it. Moving the portaband/bandsaw/chopsaw off the main bench sure free's up a lot of room - going to like it me thinks.

Name:  IMG-20200725-144703-01.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  138.6 KB
    Last edited by Shootr; 07-25-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

that skate wheel thingamabob would make a great horizontal bandsaw material table. heavy H beams or stacks of angle iron would almost feed themselves into the saw.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

14. Likes Shootr liked this post