Thread: Recommended Welding Process for Dump Trailer Bed Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Recommended Welding Process for Dump Trailer Bed Repair

Hey all, I'm new here.

I'm working for my brother-in-law's landscape company this summer. He knows that I've been attending welding school and wants me to do some welding on the bed of his dump trailer. The trailer is a Big Tex 14lx. The floor is comprised of two sheets of 10 Gauge mild sheet steel. When the purchased the trailer the sheets were butted tightly together but over time dirt and grit have worked between the sheet. This has allowed moisture to be trapped and cause some rusting. There are only a couple of spots that cannot be covered by a quarter. The gap is probably close to 1/16" on average.

I have a Miller Multimatic 215 with access to 240 power, C25 mixed gas, no tig setup. My question to y'all is what process do you think I should run?
    I will try to get some pictures once the dang thing is empty. Can't wait to gain some insight!!

I hope this is a proper way to introduce myself.

AW

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommended Welding Process for Dump Trailer Bed Repair

I would use hard wire with the c-25. Run a cutting disc in the gap to clean it out and grind back 3/4" or so each side of the seam.

3. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply! Will I have to worry about grinding it down much so they can shovel across it? I'll get some extra flap discs if need be. Another thing that worries me is burning through on larger rust spots and gaps. Any pointers too avoid that? It's a pretty nice trailer other than this and I'd hate to be the one to mess it up! :P

Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about blowing through, weld in very short bursts and skip around so one area cools while you hit a different area.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a good plan. I'll see if I can find some drops of similar thickness from the steel yard. Try a few different methods and machine settings, see what I can figure out!
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll try to post some pics in the projects section once I get going.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that dirt has work its way in between the sheets, it's never going to be pretty ever again, unless you cut the entire top sheet out and replace it.

But as said above, grind out the rust, piece in a couple of patches for the biggest holes, and build up the smaller ones with weld. Ground flush and painted, it will be rough, but it will get another few years of life out of the trailer.

solid wire MIG is definitely best for this sort of work. 10 gauge (2.5mm to us over here) is a very forgiving thickness to work with, much easier than thinner body panels.

8. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I had originally thought about doing flux-cored wire so I wouldn't have to drag the bottle around. After hearing what you guys have to say and I stick to the hardwire. I'll have to find a spot in the trailer where I can secure my bottle and still have enough range with the welding machine to get the whole seam. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have an air hose try to blow all the dirt out after everything is prepped so it's as clean as possible before welding. If you get a bunch of porosity, grind it back out and start over. The nice thing with Mig is you can pull the trigger on and off to let the puddle cool if you have a bigger gap.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago my friend asked my son to "fix" his dump trailer. It proved to be pretty much a build from scratch project. It was rusty.
    A couple weeks in, maybe 20 man hours, Seth bogged down on the project. I got involved. Everything went well until the floor. The trailer's owner came along, wanted to weld the floor down. The frame was 2" square tube, 10 gauge sheet. When I checked in on him he had run continuous MIG bead all the way around the sheet. The rectangular floor was curled up around all the corners. I made dozens of cuts to relieve the stress.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In areas that have very large gaps, that are not backed by anything, place a flat bar under the area and weld it.

All 3 pieces will be welded together and it'll be done quickly.

It's just a dump trailer so no need to make it super beautiful

As others said, I like solid wire and gas for this.
    My gun is 15 feet long, but the tractor lifts the whole welder with bottle right into stuff if I really need to.
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 1 Week Ago at 10:06 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave- my plan was to use wire wheels and get at it from both sides. Then grind it out. I like the idea of air, I'll do that after I get it all clean and wire wheel it once more before I run the bead. Shouldn't be anywhere that needs patched or backer, it's ok pretty good shape overall, just poor design.

Willie- I'll definitely take my time and weld small passes in different areas to allow for cooling. I'll also watch for cracking.

Thanks for the heads up guys! I'll talk to my BIL today and see if the trailer is empty. Start to get some pictures up here.

Post Thanks / Like

I use fluxcore exclusively on our dump trailer floors... works fine maybe its not the prettiest but like was said... it's a dump trailer hauling dirt I only add welds where it actually needs them to either keep the panels from lifting or dirt from leaking an usually won't weld longer than a 3-4 inch continuous bead unless it's in a place that won't warp.

Post Thanks / Like

Should I try to get the sheet welded to the cross braces too? I was thinking of coming up from the bottom with some small beads... Or maybe drilling a few holes.

I'm probably worrying more than the thing warrants...

Post Thanks / Like

You could put some small welds on the bottom. I wouldn't drill holes, they could cause more rusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. I should clarify, I was thinkng about drilling some holes through the sheet for plug welds into the cross braces. I like the idea of just going from underneath though, just lift the bed and put some tacks.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just widen out the gap and weld thru to the cross member. No drilling holes or crawling underneath that way.

21. Likes ronsii, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys, I got started on cleanup yesterday and get it finished up and welded out today. Grinding it smooth tomorrow.

I started a new thread in the projects forum. You can find the posts here.