+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ESAB EM 235ic mig only or Hobart Ironman 240?

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB EM 235ic mig only or Hobart Ironman 240?

I’m still on the hunt to buy my first machine. A couple nice used ones slipped through my fingers. I considered the multiprocess machines, but I be decided to go mig only and pick up a tig welder down the line.

I’m interested in picking up the ESAB EM 235ic mig only machine. I’m wondering if it’s being discontinued. It is not directly listed on ESAB’s site, but you can find it in their printed brochures. You can find the 215 mig only version or the EMP 235 multiprocess version, but not the mig only 235.

Is this a concern? Does anyone have firsthand experience with the mig only 235? The other machine I’m considering it the Hobart Ironman 240. The only problem with that is it’s basically impossible to find in stock currently.

I like some of the bells and whistles(digital readouts, sMIG) that come with the 235 over the 240, but I like the fact that the Hobart is American made and is probably the more robust design with the old school transformer. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESAB EM 235ic mig only or Hobart Ironman 240?

1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Haha yes the ESAB is in stock, but seems to be hard to find on ESAB’s website. If you search their current line up of welders it is not even an option. But it is included in their pdf brochures. Look at their mig welder selection, it is not mentioned.

The Ironman 240 is not in stock anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok, I misread, lol. I thought you couldn't find the Esab anywhere.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

The Ironman 240 is a dumbed down MM252. I would just go buy a 252 on the used market. They can often be had for $1500.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB are getting worse and worse for their web information. Possibly the mig-only version isn't in production any more, but vendors still have stock to sell. It won't affect your warranty though.

If I was buying a Rebel, it would have to have MMA mode for me to justify it - it looks like it runs great, and it would be a perfect mobile repair machine. Otherwise, it's an overly-fancy MIG welder that won't be as reliable as the Hobart/Miller transformer machine.

I have to agree with Louie... a good condition used MM252 would be the pick of the bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

The Hobart IM240 is a new machine- the dealers have not received stock
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what it's like in the US but in Canada Esab doesn't stock hardly anything in the way of parts. Miller and if Hobart uses the same components are readily available just about everywhere. A used Lincoln like a Power Mig 256 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

9. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the used market is a joke around here. Mostly junk with an occasional decent machine that is overpriced. There is a Millermatic 252 for sale for $2400 near me lol, looks well used too.
    Is the lack of digital readouts on the Ironman considered dumbed down, how much of a hindrance is this for a newbie welder. I feel like the digital readouts would be beneficial, which is why I was leaning towards the ESAB. There just doesn't seem to be any options in this price range from reputable companies other than these two I'm comparing.

Post Thanks / Like

You can fit a cheap voltmeter or use a multimeter to verify welding amps (need a friend or a camera while you weld)
    And you can measure wirespeed manually and work out amps from that.

So no, you don't really need meters... they're a definite nice to have though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kent_man View Post
    Unfortunately the used market is a joke around here. Mostly junk with an occasional decent machine that is overpriced. There is a Millermatic 252 for sale for $2400 near me lol, looks well used too.
    Is the lack of digital readouts on the Ironman considered dumbed down, how much of a hindrance is this for a newbie welder. I feel like the digital readouts would be beneficial, which is why I was leaning towards the ESAB. There just doesn't seem to be any options in this price range from reputable companies other than these two I'm comparing.
    Lack of digital readout is no big deal. All of the classic work horses from Miller, Lincoln, ESAB etc did not have them and they all worked just fine and still work.

I dont really care to know all that information that my MM252 provides with the digital displays.

I just set the damn thing to what the chart suggests and adjust from there.

My Passport Plus does not have a digital readout.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I’m still on the hunt to buy my first machine. A couple nice used ones slipped through my fingers. I considered the multiprocess machines, but I be decided to go mig only and pick up a tig welder down the line.

I’m interested in picking up the ESAB EM 235ic mig only machine. I’m wondering if it’s being discontinued. It is not directly listed on ESAB’s site, but you can find it in their printed brochures. You can find the 215 mig only version or the EMP 235 multiprocess version, but not the mig only 235.

Is this a concern? Does anyone have firsthand experience with the mig only 235? The other machine I’m considering it the Hobart Ironman 240. The only problem with that is it’s basically impossible to find in stock currently.

I like some of the bells and whistles(digital readouts, sMIG) that come with the 235 over the 240, but I like the fact that the Hobart is American made and is probably the more robust design with the old school transformer. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Friends at ESAB tell me the Mig Only Rebels are going away. The 215 is gone already unless a dealer has one.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. What are your thoughts on parts support down the line? My guess is the replaceable components are shared between the multiprocess units.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. What are your thoughts on parts support down the line? My guess is the replaceable components are shared between the multiprocess units.
    I'm sure they will still support the mig only's.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist