+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slag brushes - what lasts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Slag brushes - what lasts?

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Your post pretty much sums up my experiences with the HF wire brushes and grinders... The wire brushes = great!!!! grinders... not so much... quit buying them years back switched to the 35-40 dollar dewalts on internet will outlast HF 10X at least!!!

heh heh funny thing on the brushes I must have a couple dozen in one of my parts drawers in the garage toolroom
    I bought 10 packs of Harbor freight brushes for 4-1/2" grinders one time. Junk. The guys used most of them up in 2 days. I went back to Weiler for stringer bead brushes. And I do buy mostly DeWalt 5" grinders for general purpose use. Got a six pack of Ryobi's once that looked good but only lasted 3-4 days in the trench.

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the round brush chucked into a 3/8 drill... usually a rechargeable DeWalt. The drill doesn't spin as fast and they last a lot longer. As for ease of slag removal, I generally smack it a couple times with the chipping hammer first so it comes off easy.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Just get more grinders and quit changing the wheels around. 1 grinder for each commonly used wheel. Soooo much less frustration over the long haul.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Multimatic 200
    Ellis 1800
    Haberle S225 9" cold saw
    MM 300; Spoolmate 30A w/ WC-24
    TB 302G
    Dynasty 280 DX Tigrunner

5. Likes ronsii, Kelvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drooopy View Post
    Just get more grinders and quit changing the wheels around. 1 grinder for each commonly used wheel. Soooo much less frustration over the long haul.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Right now in my work truck I currently have:
    1 milwaukee fuel 7/9 inch grinder with a 9 inch grinding wheel on it
    2 milwaukee fuel 5 inchers one with .045 cutoffs and one with 5 inch grinding wheel
    4 dewalt corded side switch 5 inch - - 1-knotted wire wheel 1-wire cup brush 1-.045 cutoffs 1-grinding wheel 36 grit 1-3/16th's cutoffs
    2 dewalt corded paddle 5 inch -- 1-heavy knotted wheel 1-grinding wheel 24 grit

There might be another one or two dewalts floating around in there too as backups... you just can't have enough grinders.. in fact I need to get a couple more of the milwaukee's for when I am doing 'cordless' jobs so's I don't have to switch wheels on the cutoffs... and maybe another 7/9 grinder cause it sure eats metal with the grinding wheels I have on it but it also comes in handy for bigger cutoff wheels when the 5 inchers aren't quite enough

I also keep at least 4 dewalts in my powersmoke for neighbor jobs that I don't use the work truck for... and a 9 inch old chinese grinder that works great when you need to make a spark shower 15 feet long!!!

7. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Right now in my work truck I currently have:
    1 milwaukee fuel 7/9 inch grinder with a 9 inch grinding wheel on it
    2 milwaukee fuel 5 inchers one with .045 cutoffs and one with 5 inch grinding wheel
    4 dewalt corded side switch 5 inch - - 1-knotted wire wheel 1-wire cup brush 1-.045 cutoffs 1-grinding wheel 36 grit 1-3/16th's cutoffs
    2 dewalt corded paddle 5 inch -- 1-heavy knotted wheel 1-grinding wheel 24 grit

There might be another one or two dewalts floating around in there too as backups... you just can't have enough grinders.. in fact I need to get a couple more of the milwaukee's for when I am doing 'cordless' jobs so's I don't have to switch wheels on the cutoffs... and maybe another 7/9 grinder cause it sure eats metal with the grinding wheels I have on it but it also comes in handy for bigger cutoff wheels when the 5 inchers aren't quite enough

I also keep at least 4 dewalts in my powersmoke for neighbor jobs that I don't use the work truck for... and a 9 inch old chinese grinder that works great when you need to make a spark shower 15 feet long!!!
    I was going to call you a grinder sl*t, but then I started counting what I use... Probably about 5 on the bench from 4.5" to 9", and at least Two 5 inchers and a 9" in the truck. Tried a 4.5" Dewalt cordless a few years back and was not impressed, I guess I should try the Milwaukee stuff. Oh, have some air grinders for the shop too. I love the little 2" right angle jobbies for tight spots.

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I was going to call you a grinder sl*t, but then I started counting what I use... Probably about 5 on the bench from 4.5" to 9", and at least Two 5 inchers and a 9" in the truck. Tried a 4.5" Dewalt cordless a few years back and was not impressed, I guess I should try the Milwaukee stuff. Oh, have some air grinders for the shop too. I love the little 2" right angle jobbies for tight spots.
    Lol!!!! Yeah I have more in the shops I even keep a few HF's down in the sawmill with some wood hogging discs on them.

11. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read this entire thread but get yourself a HF small needle gun and all that slag will go away.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's what started out as a file. Use a grinder to make teeth. Works great with 6010 and 6011.
    A saw blade is good too. The solid blades ones from power hacksaws work well took.
    Some are 12" to 18" long.
    Use the edge of a half round bastard file for 7018. Handle removed for photo
    Name:  9FB2BC85-85A7-4A76-8DF3-E84F683E1BFE.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  136.0 KB
    Last edited by BD1; 08-05-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what started out as a file. Use a grinder to make teeth. Works great with 6010 and 6011.
    A saw blade is good too. The solid blades ones from power hacksaws work well took.
    Some are 12" to 18" long.
    Use the edge of a half round bastard file for 7018. Handle removed for photo
    Name:  9FB2BC85-85A7-4A76-8DF3-E84F683E1BFE.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  136.0 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist