+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a dedicated MIG machine

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a dedicated MIG machine

First post-I couldn’t find any current posts on the topic, if there is a current sticky let me know, I don’t want to be “that guy!”

Ok...been looking to upgrade from the stick welder i bought for a class maybe 7 years ago, and was set on the Miller 211, then the Multiprocess Miller 215 came out, which more recently led me to the ESAB REBEL 215ic, but it’s Chinese and although available here in Phoenix, not stocked (i.e. minimal support).

Both multi’s (MM215 etc.) are a little steep on the budget side, and as much as i’d love a TIG option, i’m a big believer in “Jack of all-master of none.” And the AC/DC options are completely out of the $ picture. Similarly, multi- process is also more parts, electronics, things to go, possible company compromises, which brings me back to a dedicated MIG.

So I’m looking for thoughts on any recommendations.
    Some must have’s:
    -110/220v capable
    -<40-45lbs
    -relatively easy setup and use. If someone said “a monkey could weld with that thing” I’d call that a big plus.

For you production pros... duty-cycle probably won’t be an issue for me. I’m more tuned to detail than production. Plus I’m not getting paid for this work. More quality/deluxe DIY.
    Thanks all 👍

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a dedicated MIG machine

I wouldn't have any issue with the Esab Rebel. Its no more or less Chinese than the Miller or Lincoln equivalents, and ESAB has a good reputation for customer service. Contact tips and other consumables on the Rebel are standard and can be found in a lot of places. The idea that you will have minimal support just isn't correct, in my opinion. Esab probably gets the nod for "so easy a monkey can weld with it", with the sMig feature. There are only a few 200 amp, dual voltage units out there that meet all your qualifications, and are not multiprocess machines (at least that I am aware of): Millemratic 211, Harbor Freight Migmax 215, Everlast power i-mig 200. The Lincoln Powermig180 is too heavy, The Lincoln Powermig 210mp is multiprocess, the Hobart machines are all around 80 lbs, The Forney mig is only 240v, The Eastwood units are too heavy or multiprocess, The Klutch unit is only 240 volts.

If you really want "its so easy a monkey could weld with it, it probably comes down to the Esab in first place, and the Miller in second.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from southern Az! Louie gave you some very good recommendations, I really don't know which, if any brands are made in America, seeing the weight requirement, you will need to be in an inverter machine which will pretty much get you th "so easy a monkey can do it" category, I have a similar problem in that things need "so easy a cavemann can do it". I would recommend a 120/240 volt machine for a little more versatility.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I have a miller 211 & like it pretty well. Have only run fluxcore through it, but am satisfied with the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thoughtful replies everyone! -I apologize for the delay getting back on here...had some technology/login issues, one reason “so easy a caveman/monkey can use it” appeals to me. I want to be welding, not downloading etc.

So it looks like a pretty thin herd of machines to choose from, which is fine. Here’s another question. Between a dedicated MIG and it’s close sister multi process machine, should/would the MIG-only be the same? Has anyone run a Miller 211 against a the MIG function of a Miller 215, with as many variables kept the same as possible, or say a 211 vs. the Lincoln 210MP on MiG? (probably lots there with a quick search). For the ESAB “rebel” EM 215ic (MIG-only), how does it compare to the MIG on the EMP version (multi), does it essentially have the same brains, blood and guts on the MIG Side, or did they have to sacrifice any MIG capabilities to make it an all-in-one? Looking for some fresh devils advocates opinions.

Another thing that could help me decide is resale. Say I want or need to sell 5 years, what will hold its value the best between some of those machines? Also I didn’t realize all those compact inverters were Chinese, but not surprised. I figured lower production costs of the Chinese ESAB gave them room to add the candy, where say the 211 may be more solid/quality internals. In the HVAC world a lot of the guts of Trane, Lennox, Ruud etc. may come out of the same factories.

Thanks again for your thoughts and if there’s an existing thread or sticky let me know and i’ll head there ��

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't plan on any of these machines having much resale value in 5 years. They are all consumer grade/hobbyist grade welders and I would be willing to bet in 5 years time, the next generation of inverters will have features we haven't even thought of yet. I think it would be different if you were buying an industrial grade inverter like a XMT350 or something. But the sub-$2,000 units? I wouldn't bet on much if any resale. Don't go by the crazy asking prices you see on Craig's List.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I found my 170 UNITWELD at a very good price, it's a 3 in 1mig, lift tig & stick, I got it on a closeout for $359.00, but for some reason they knoced anthe 10 or 15 bucks off of it, I later found it on ebay listed for almost $900.00, it's listed as a commercial grade machine and has a very respectable duty cycle @ 60% at 170 amps, has 2T & 4T, arcforce & fine tuning for wire speed & voltage, I've been very happy with it, so far it has run anything I have tried it with. I think I would be happy with one of the Vulcan machines, possibly even a Titanium.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart Handler 210MVP :$839.00 Mig/Fluxcore

Miller 211 :$1,355.00 Mig/Fluxcore

Lincoln 210PM :$1,495.00 (Offers DC Tig but ya gotta pony up for the Tig accessories.

Rebel 215 Mig : $1,165.00 Mig/Fluxcore

Pick one and weld on
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

9. Likes JayWal, ArcblastAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Well said Broccoli1 🥦
    Last edited by ArcblastAZ; 08-11-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I really want something with a local dealer, which takes Northern Tool out. Though I loved them when I lived in Texas. Like an upscale Harbor Freight meets Tractor Supply. Northern Tool-we’d love to see you in AZ.

Post Thanks / Like

I have own Miller they very good welder. I have no experience with ESAB.
    I never like all in one as if one give out now you have a 60 pound paper weight.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ArcblastAZ View Post
    First post-I couldn’t find any current posts on the topic, if there is a current sticky let me know, I don’t want to be “that guy!”

Ok...been looking to upgrade from the stick welder i bought for a class maybe 7 years ago, and was set on the Miller 211, then the Multiprocess Miller 215 came out, which more recently led me to the ESAB REBEL 215ic, but it’s Chinese and although available here in Phoenix, not stocked (i.e. minimal support).

Both multi’s (MM215 etc.) are a little steep on the budget side, and as much as i’d love a TIG option, i’m a big believer in “Jack of all-master of none.” And the AC/DC options are completely out of the $ picture. Similarly, multi- process is also more parts, electronics, things to go, possible company compromises, which brings me back to a dedicated MIG.

Some must have’s:
    -110/220v capable
    -<40-45lbs
    -relatively easy setup and use. If someone said “a monkey could weld with that thing” I’d call that a big plus.

For you production pros... duty-cycle probably won’t be an issue for me. I’m more tuned to detail than production. Plus I’m not getting paid for this work. More quality/deluxe DIY.
    Thanks all 👍

Post Thanks / Like

The inverter versions of the MM211 routinely sell for around $1K when they come up used in clean condition...and they don't seem to last long.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Cave Creek.
    Our LWS stores have incredibly high prices on machines, Phoenix Welding, Praxair, and Vern Lewis. Phoenix Welding has about the best price on gas and wire. I have used https://www.weldersupply.com/ for a few purchases. Usually free shipping, which helps a fair bit, and their prices are good. They are great people to work with. Have also had good luck with https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/

I don’t generally like multi process machines in the lighter grades. I run an XMT304 with a feeder and also a MM200 and have a MM185 and a MM140. All are fine machines. I have a Sync 250 for TIG and have a transformer in the shop and a TB 251 on my truck, so I have a fair amount of redundancy. If my tig breaks it doesn’t take down my stick and mig welding too.

I have purchased a MM211 for a friend of mine. It seems like a very nice and capable little machine. I would recommend it. Stay away from Craigslist looking for welders. They are usually near new prices. I have actually seen well used machines listed for higher than new on there.

If you need any help don’t be afraid to give me a shout.
    Last edited by walker; 08-11-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
    Maybe check into the machines that HTP has for sale. I dont know if they have anything that you may be interestered in but, it may be worth a look see. I owned a machine from them many years ago and their customer service for it was very good!
    Even though they weld great, they don't meet his must-have criteria of being dual-voltage to use on 120V. Even though they can run off a 120V→240V voltage transformer, which is only like $100-$150. I can run any of mine on my LiteFuze LT-5000 step-up converter.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you buy a name brand, any local dealer will be happy to service it, or provide warranty service.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. Well said Broccoli1 ��
    It is tough choosing a new machine fo' sho.

The HH210 is a solid simple machine. Hobart is a good company.

If you can swing the price, the MM211 would be a good choice and satisfy your local support requirement and will hold more resale value than the Hobart.

The Miller brand definitely holds it value.

Just remember to add the cost of a bottle of shielding gas to your budget. Call yer local LWS and find out what they charge.

** but dont be too worried about resale value of the Hobart if indeed you wouldn't be looking to sell for at least 5 years. You would have 5 years of good use and could get a few bucks out of it.
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 08-12-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

“Rugrat,” what do you mean by “us?” I live Phoenix and the nearest Northern Tool is 352 miles from my zip code, in El Paso, Texas, not 8 miles away. Northern Tool is higher quality than Harbor Freight=common sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ed. Yeah, there hasn’t been a single used Miller 211 on Craigslist here the for a couple weeks-I’ve been checking, so resale may be something I don’t need to worry about. I’d say it’s down to the 211 or ESAB mig machines unless I decide on a 215 or ESAB MULTI (not as likely at this point). . I know Miller dropped its Summer sale early, but i’ll be checking for sales for Miller/ESAB. I’ve got some time, it’s getting up to 114 degrees each day here, a little toasty for my outdoor projects

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    It is tough choosing a new machine fo' sho.

The HH210 is a solid simple machine. Hobart is a good company.

If you can swing the price, the MM211 would be a good choice and satisfy your local support requirement and will hold more resale value than the Hobart.

The Miller brand definitely holds it value.

Just remember to add the cost of a bottle of shielding gas to your budget. Call yer local LWS and find out what they charge.

** but dont be too worried about resale value of the Hobart if indeed you wouldn't be looking to sell for at least 5 years. You would have 5 years of good use and could get a few bucks out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ed. Yeah, there hasn’t been a single used Miller 211 on Craigslist here the for a couple weeks-I’ve been checking, so resale may be something I don’t need to worry about. I’d say it’s down to the 211 or ESAB mig machines unless I decide on a 215 or ESAB MULTI (not as likely at this point). . I know Miller dropped its Summer sale early, but i’ll be checking for sales for Miller/ESAB. I’ve got some time, it’s getting up to 114 degrees each day here, a little toasty for my outdoor projects

Thanks again!
    At least around here (greater Midwest) Craigslist has become less and less the place for buying/selling stuff like welders. In the past year or so it's really switched to Facebook Marketplace. I'm not really a big FB fan, but generally speaking it's safer and less hassle than Craigslist because people aren't anonymous (or aren't supposed to be).

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

21. Likes Broccoli1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not know what plan to later but a welder can run off generator can helpful later.
    I would still only use 240 volt welder or 120/240 volt

Dave

Some must have’s:
    -110/220v capable
    -<40-45lbs

Thanks all 👍

Post Thanks / Like

See if you can find a used Hobart 210.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. CL still seems to be pretty popular around here, but someone else mentioned FB Marketplace was kind of taking that spot. I'll definitely check it out. For good measure I just checked CL, no Miller 211 or Hobart 210's. I think welder demand is pretty high here, which is a good thing all around. Most of the Miller, Lincoln and Hobart machines are old and huge. Zero ESAB welders in Phoenix on CL. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. G-ManBart a few years ago I partially restored a Rock Island No. 574 Vice. I say mostly because it has a bit of slop and I guess a "full" restoration might take that out, if possible. Knocked off the old layers of paint and buffed it out.

Post Thanks / Like

G-ManBart a few years ago I partially restored a Rock Island No. 574 Vice. I say mostly because it has a bit of slop and I guess a "full" restoration might take that out, if possible. Knocked off the old layers of paint and buffed it out.
    I have a Craftsman 5163 on one of my benches, and that is the exact same vise as the No. 574 other than the markings. I love Rock Island vises! If you aren't aware, Rock Island stamped the production date on the slide right behind the body of the vise with it closed all the way. Mine is dated 1-40 to it's only 80 years old! I got lucky and it came out of the basement of a woodworker's house and it still has a lot of the original paint....led an easy life.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a pm. There is a machine for sale here in phx. its exactly like mine. in fact if you want to try mine before you go look at it, let me know.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist