+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ESAB 350MPI With Dual Drive 4-30 Digital Dual Process MPI

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB 350MPI With Dual Drive 4-30 Digital Dual Process MPI

So I'm be coming familiar with this new to me setup. Going to use it as a fairly dedicated MIG/MAG setup, with a stinger in storage if I need it.

I have done a few welds on 14ga and a few on on 1/4" just to try out the spray setting. All of these voltage adjustments were done via the main panel with the preset button display. Just for fun I was going to try the panel on the Dual Drive. I flipped the switch over and nothing really happened (no arc). I remembered the manual stated that the dial needed to be cranked up. So I double checked the wire feed dial was set to around where the main panel was and dialed the panel up. I was set to MIG / Steel Argon Mix and should have been around 16V (back to thin stuff)

What came out of the gun was a wild jet of pure plasma, looked like a dragon breathing onto the steel.

So I guess I'm asking is my 19pin control cable bad, is the Dura Drive? WTF basically. I have noticed that the Dura Drive V display and the 350MPI V display do not match after welding. Do I need to check my crimp or set screws in the cables?

Page 21 3.3 D
    "the REMOTE position for remote voltage control wire feeders and/or accessories. If REMOTE position is selected, set the PANEL potentiometer to maximum for full range from remote."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESAB 350MPI With Dual Drive 4-30 Digital Dual Process MPI

Unplug the feeder. You need to make sure the welder will work by its self.
    Manual 15-481-G page 23 has a functionality check out list.
    Or with welder in panel stick on, try to stick weld and see if it can be controlled.
    When using the voltage control on the feeder. think of the welder panel control as a master high limit. The feeder will control from set low the panel high setting.
    But for the feeder voltage control to work correctly. It has to see the weld voltage at the 19 pin plug.
    It needs voltage feedback from the welder to know where it is at, or it will drive the welder to full panel set. Use the owners manual diagram and perform a ohm check on the 19 pin control cable. Make sure no wires are broken or cut.
    Using both manuals check inputs and outputs. After that you might need a pcb.
    If you were near me we could check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESAB 350MPI With Dual Drive 4-30 Digital Dual Process MPI

Thanks man. It welds great just this weird control thing. I'll ohm out the cable when I finish this project today and figure it out. The cable is brand new so I hope its fine - 300 bucks for a cable it better be hand polished.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist