+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mobile Generator question/opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Mobile Generator question/opinions

Hi,
    I'd like to buy a gas generator to have as an option to (occasionally) run my 3 welders in my driveway. I tend to over buy beyond my need - not that I have that budget but get over excited about new tools.

I have: Miller 211, AHP 200dx, Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC - I'd like to have the 220V power afforded to use most of the power these can deliver - but dont "need" it.

I dont make a living with this equipment - so trying hard not to go overboard. What running / surge watt rating would you recommend? What are you using?

I have an option for a new Duromax 10000E off facebook marketplace for $800 - surely would handle all - but again - if I only need a 6500 or even much less rated unit and can get that for $400 somewhere- that's $400 I'd have for materials to use!

Thx in advance for advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile Generator question/opinions

Be better off buying a long extension cord to run the machines in yer driveway.

cross off the Thunderbolt from the list for generator use. They just take too much power/surge.

Straight math formulas for figuring out input power for wiring up a circuit/receptacle in the geerage doesn't work out the same for generators.

Yer MM211 would run off a 6500 but ideally the 10k Duromax would be a better option.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

3. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick and TIG needs at lesd 9,000 watt generator.
    A small MiG needs 3,000 watt and up.

Stick and TIG needs more for starting the weld

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    Hi,
    I'd like to buy a gas generator to have as an option to (occasionally) run my 3 welders in my driveway. I tend to over buy beyond my need - not that I have that budget but get over excited about new tools.

I have: Miller 211, AHP 200dx, Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC - I'd like to have the 220V power afforded to use most of the power these can deliver - but dont "need" it.

I dont make a living with this equipment - so trying hard not to go overboard. What running / surge watt rating would you recommend? What are you using?

I have an option for a new Duromax 10000E off facebook marketplace for $800 - surely would handle all - but again - if I only need a 6500 or even much less rated unit and can get that for $400 somewhere- that's $400 I'd have for materials to use!

Thx in advance for advice.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some welders that do not run well off a generator. FWIW.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

OK - thx all.

Seems the stick is off the table which is fine. wish i could run the extension cord - problem is the power/wiring available in the garage - it's - not good, had an electrician in - was going to run a dedicated 220V line for me - longer story but unsure if that will happen - may have additional use for a portable generator in addition to use as a power source for my f-offery - so seems the Duromax 10000E may be the direction. $800 seems like a decent deal vs retail as a new unit. Appreciate all feedback

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5000 max 4500 continuous Honda generator for stick. Esab 160 welder. No issues for repair work. Gas tank is small. Runs about 3 hours with occasional welding and power tools.

As stated, The question is how will your welder perform off the genny power? Specifically the AHP? The thunderbolt seems redundant/expendable off generator power.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 08-11-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I can run my 200 amp stick inverter off a 5500k Honda powered generator. It wouldn't be able
    to drive it at full power, But all I ever need is 1/8' rods at 120 to 140 amps and it can handle that easily

Post Thanks / Like

OK - thx all.

Seems the stick is off the table which is fine. wish i could run the extension cord - problem is the power/wiring available in the garage - it's - not good, had an electrician in - was going to run a dedicated 220V line for me - longer story but unsure if that will happen - may have additional use for a portable generator in addition to use as a power source for my f-offery - so seems the Duromax 10000E may be the direction. $800 seems like a decent deal vs retail as a new unit. Appreciate all feedback
    You'll need an adapter for the 14-50 Receptacle that is on the Duromax.

You can purchase one off the shelf if you already have a 6-50 extension cord.

If you dont have the extension cord you might as well just buy the cord and the corresponding connecters.

14-50 P to plug in to the generator and then a 6-50r at the other end to mate up with yer welding machines.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Sell the Thunderbolt and get Miller Bobcat welder/generator. 10 times the generator of an inexpensive import and a decent welder to boot. Much better than the Thunderbolt.

Post Thanks / Like

A small MIG will will run well on a 4,000 generator. I would use a 240 volt .
    Odd's are you will not miss stick.

Dave

OK - thx all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Sell the Thunderbolt and get Miller Bobcat welder/generator. 10 times the generator of an inexpensive import and a decent welder to boot. Much better than the Thunderbolt.
    I'm a little confused about the mention of import - It's an older Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC stick welder - not sure of the year - not extremely old - but - is this not a domestic welder? (I don't care THAT much re: AHP 201 I have for TIG and a stick backup - it runs very well) Would love to get a Bobcat welder/generator - well - got some good information and personal exp. on this one - thanks as always guys....

Post Thanks / Like

180A of inverter MIG welding current will consume 30A which will use up 7kW of generator power and causes the voltage to drop to 225V from 240V. So you need about 12kW minimum to have good longevity and to,reduce voltage drop. I've used my troy-bilt which has <6%THD. You need clean power IMO.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

It's rare for anyone to regret overspending (oversizing) on a portable generator purchase—especially for welding use.

Once you run the numbers for wattage requirements, it comes down to balancing power, price and portability to get the operating output you need out of your welders.

More on sizing a generator for welding.

Good luck
    Dave
    WelditU.com

Lincoln Weld-Pak 140HD
    Hobart Handler 140

15. Likes farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigger gensets will always take more fuel per hour regardless of how much power you are using from them too... just something to think about if not using it all the time then a little extra fuel probably won't matter but if you run it every day you'll be paying a lot more for power.

Post Thanks / Like

I always found it interesting how many folk bought engine drive welders for the generator side only.

18. Likes ronsii, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I always found it interesting how many folk bought engine drive welders for the generator side only.
    The bobcats I'll be working this week were originally bought just to use as a backup genny only in the last couple years have they ever welded with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    cross off the Thunderbolt from the list for generator use. They just take too much power/surge.
    As a test I ran my Dialarc 250 off my Hobart Champion Elite, which is an 11Kw generator, and it worked just fine running typical 1/8" 7018 and certainly didn't seem to be struggling. I can't imagine that a Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC (had one of those in the past) would use much more power for the same output than a Dialarc 250.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    As a test I ran my Dialarc 250 off my Hobart Champion Elite, which is an 11Kw generator, and it worked just fine running typical 1/8" 7018 and certainly didn't seem to be struggling. I can't imagine that a Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC (had one of those in the past) would use much more power for the same output than a Dialarc 250.
    The 23HP engine on the Elite compared to the 18hp engine on the Duromax could be the small difference that allows it to work.

In general, the small mass of of small generators is the limiting factor when trying to use a welding machine on one.

The wall receptacle is backed by the PoCo generator and doesn't even flinch when you strike and arc.

The receptacle on small gensets gets kicked in the nuts harder by welding machines.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    180A of inverter MIG welding current will consume 30A which will use up 7kW of generator power and causes the voltage to drop to 225V from 240V. So you need about 12kW minimum to have good longevity and to,reduce voltage drop. I've used my troy-bilt which has <6%THD. You need clean power IMO.
    I meant to say "causes the voltage to drop to 225V from 240V on my generator".
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist