Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor prices?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor prices?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Can someone explain to me why a GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor has gone from $1800ish to $2800ish in less than two years????????
    well, i think your off on your time frame. but i know how it is, time flys, and when you pay $, it seems like you just paid that quarterly bill a moth ago, or how the hell, can this be due again.

the one i watch/use, was about 6- 7 yrs ago that they were 1800. then they jumped to about 2300. then they jumped in couple hundered dollar incruments every yr/couple yrs, and last yr when i checked, were at 3000 from gm (ive seen 150$ less from other distributors). about 1.5 yrs ago, gm ran out for a while. then about yr ago, they brought them back, but under new part #. i havent been able to get 4 bolt in yrs. they also discontued the 305/5.0
    now i dont know what yrs your talking, but im talkin 1988 - + maybe mid 90S, or 94ish, not sure where it stops

2. Likes Pipeliner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i Used to love browsing the goodwrench engines in the jegs catalog.

It is a shame about the prices but to be fair $1800 for a crate motor was too sweet of a deal to last (I remember a $1600 4 bolt 350!). Most shops would be about there for a rebuild, if not more.

4. Likes Pipeliner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    well, i think your off on your time frame. but i know how it is, time flys, and when you pay $, it seems like you just paid that quarterly bill a moth ago, or how the hell, can this be due again.

the one i watch/use, was about 6- 7 yrs ago that they were 1800. then they jumped to about 2300. then they jumped in couple hundered dollar incruments every yr/couple yrs, and last yr when i checked, were at 3000 from gm (ive seen 150$ less from other distributors). about 1.5 yrs ago, gm ran out for a while. then about yr ago, they brought them back, but under new part #. i havent been able to get 4 bolt in yrs. they also discontued the 305/5.0
    now i dont know what yrs your talking, but im talkin 1988 - + maybe mid 90S, or 94ish, not sure where it stops
    This will be for an ‘81 square. Replacing a 2x rebuilt motor with 140k on it. It won’t bore for a 3rd go. Just looking at the barebones 195hp 4blt main.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post

the one i watch/use, was about 6- 7 yrs ago that they were 1800.
    I knew I wasn't drunk...... and only $1700 - this was Feb 2018

I'm just wallowing in it a little longer before I bite the bullet.

Name:  2-14-18.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  57.9 KB
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    I knew I wasn't drunk...... and only $1700 - this was Feb 2018

I'm just wallowing in it a little longer before I bite the bullet.

Name:  2-14-18.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  57.9 KB
    LOL., OK, i like it. i like what your showing there . I'll go back on my notes, (give me a few days) and find the part number/price/dates of the one i was thinking of for '88- ??. i got one from the 70's also, i built a 454 for in '99. its still going, but i dont ever want too have to rebuild a complete motor again, if i can buy one new for it.

8. Likes Pipeliner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Why not use a 400 and save some work. Or buy a big block and gets the most power for the money
    The 400 small block was never a good choice, the water jackets did not fully encircle the center cylinders so they had a tendency to heat a little, you could do more with a 350 & stroking it.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    The 400 small block was never a good choice, the water jackets did not fully encircle the center cylinders so they had a tendency to heat a little, you could do more with a 350 & stroking it.
    Yeah, I went through 3 400's in a couple years in my old 77' finally switched trucks for a 460, same mileage but more power

12. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

pipeliner, looks like you got the evidence, for you time/pricing claim.
    but, for '87-95 part #12681430 (2 bolt 5.7), what i said was fairly accurate time and price wise. a yr to the month, i was quoted $3013, $3058 from gm dealers. my long time gm guy told me his cost was $2712, and he'd sell it to me for $2812. two yrs ago it was no more than 2 hundred less. i know i can get it $150 or so, less on internet, but if something isnt right, i want a parts counter i can physically go to, not emailing someone on the other side of nation, so i pay the extra few bucks. thanks for the thread, now i know i can still get a new 4 bolt for my older stuff
    i
    Last edited by 123weld; 08-25-2020 at 07:21 PM.