+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor prices?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor prices?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Can someone explain to me why a GM Goodwrench 350 crate motor has gone from $1800ish to $2800ish in less than two years????????
    well, i think your off on your time frame. but i know how it is, time flys, and when you pay $, it seems like you just paid that quarterly bill a moth ago, or how the hell, can this be due again.

the one i watch/use, was about 6- 7 yrs ago that they were 1800. then they jumped to about 2300. then they jumped in couple hundered dollar incruments every yr/couple yrs, and last yr when i checked, were at 3000 from gm (ive seen 150$ less from other distributors). about 1.5 yrs ago, gm ran out for a while. then about yr ago, they brought them back, but under new part #. i havent been able to get 4 bolt in yrs. they also discontued the 305/5.0
    now i dont know what yrs your talking, but im talkin 1988 - + maybe mid 90S, or 94ish, not sure where it stops

2. Likes Pipeliner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i Used to love browsing the goodwrench engines in the jegs catalog.

It is a shame about the prices but to be fair $1800 for a crate motor was too sweet of a deal to last (I remember a $1600 4 bolt 350!). Most shops would be about there for a rebuild, if not more.

4. Likes Pipeliner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    well, i think your off on your time frame. but i know how it is, time flys, and when you pay $, it seems like you just paid that quarterly bill a moth ago, or how the hell, can this be due again.

the one i watch/use, was about 6- 7 yrs ago that they were 1800. then they jumped to about 2300. then they jumped in couple hundered dollar incruments every yr/couple yrs, and last yr when i checked, were at 3000 from gm (ive seen 150$ less from other distributors). about 1.5 yrs ago, gm ran out for a while. then about yr ago, they brought them back, but under new part #. i havent been able to get 4 bolt in yrs. they also discontued the 305/5.0
    now i dont know what yrs your talking, but im talkin 1988 - + maybe mid 90S, or 94ish, not sure where it stops
    This will be for an ‘81 square. Replacing a 2x rebuilt motor with 140k on it. It won’t bore for a 3rd go. Just looking at the barebones 195hp 4blt main.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post

the one i watch/use, was about 6- 7 yrs ago that they were 1800.
    I knew I wasn't drunk...... and only $1700 - this was Feb 2018

I'm just wallowing in it a little longer before I bite the bullet.

Name:  2-14-18.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  57.9 KB
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    I knew I wasn't drunk...... and only $1700 - this was Feb 2018

I'm just wallowing in it a little longer before I bite the bullet.

Name:  2-14-18.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  57.9 KB
    LOL., OK, i like it. i like what your showing there . I'll go back on my notes, (give me a few days) and find the part number/price/dates of the one i was thinking of for '88- ??. i got one from the 70's also, i built a 454 for in '99. its still going, but i dont ever want too have to rebuild a complete motor again, if i can buy one new for it.

8. Likes Pipeliner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Why not use a 400 and save some work. Or buy a big block and gets the most power for the money
    The 400 small block was never a good choice, the water jackets did not fully encircle the center cylinders so they had a tendency to heat a little, you could do more with a 350 & stroking it.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    The 400 small block was never a good choice, the water jackets did not fully encircle the center cylinders so they had a tendency to heat a little, you could do more with a 350 & stroking it.
    Yeah, I went through 3 400's in a couple years in my old 77' finally switched trucks for a 460, same mileage but more power

12. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

pipeliner, looks like you got the evidence, for you time/pricing claim.
    but, for '87-95 part #12681430 (2 bolt 5.7), what i said was fairly accurate time and price wise. a yr to the month, i was quoted $3013, $3058 from gm dealers. my long time gm guy told me his cost was $2712, and he'd sell it to me for $2812. two yrs ago it was no more than 2 hundred less. i know i can get it $150 or so, less on internet, but if something isnt right, i want a parts counter i can physically go to, not emailing someone on the other side of nation, so i pay the extra few bucks. thanks for the thread, now i know i can still get a new 4 bolt for my older stuff
    i
    Last edited by 123weld; 08-25-2020 at 07:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist