+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old eyes giving me grief! Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Old eyes giving me grief! Any suggestions?

At the age of 69, in 2016 I came out of retirement from an unrelated profession to explore a hobby in steel fabrication. I attended a community college and graduated with honours in 2017, but welding was always a problem. I understand the theory but it's the eyes which seem to be the missing connective factor. As soon as I strike an arc in stick I can't see anything except the arc. There is sometimes enough light with a fillet weld where both plates can reflect light. Haven't any idea where I'm going on the piece after that. I've tried all electronic adjustments possible to the helmet but to no avail .. Any of the older folks out there with the same problem? If so, how did you correct it? Or is it something that really ends welding? Tig is a bit better and mig gives me a fair amount of grief under similar circumstances. Thanks for any replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old eyes giving me grief! Any suggestions?

I have a similar problem. One thing that's been recommended but I have yet to try is a bright light on the welding area. I have a 250w halogen work lamp that I'm going to use to light the area.
    Before I got an autodark helmet I used a 500w light so that I could see the work before I struck an arc. Worked like a charm so I expect that that more light will help even with the arc lit.
    David
    Millermatic 130
    Primeweld 225
    Victor Journeymen

Post Thanks / Like

If you wear bifocals or transition lenses you'll find you can't look thru the lower part under the hood. Go to the local drugstore and try different reading glasses 'til you read fine print 12" to 15" out and then go to your LWS and buy a cheater lense of that same power. You have to train yourself to look at everything around the arc and ignore the arc. I know this sounds crazy but once you accomplish this it will all be easier. It's a matter of watching the puddle and not the arc.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Same problem here. A couple things that help:
    Welding in bright sunlight makes a difference, adding strong shop light doesn't except that you can see where you're starting better
    I wear progressive lenses in my glasses. I got a cheap pair of my reading prescription only made and that helps a lot. Readers from the drugstore didn't help me because I have astigmatism.
    I got a different helmet, that helped
    I taped a black cloth over the back and sides of my hood which cuts out extra light. That helps.
    I added a cheater lens which helped a lot. Went through a couple different ones, I think what's on there now is 2x.

I can't say which did the most, the combination helps a lot. But maybe I'd give a slight nod to the new helmet. I used to use a cheap Harbor Freight auto dark hood until it died. After a ton of research, I settled on the Harbor Freight Vulcan hood and what a difference! Amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DAvidRS. I have tried some lights to the extent the plastic lenses in front of the LED got powdered with burn marks. It's about the leading area which I have trouble seeing. I've pretty will given up on Stick and will try tig. As I recall from some time ago, the light is better, not as "fireworks-like" as stick so I can see short distances into the welding direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    If you wear bifocals or transition lenses you'll find you can't look thru the lower part under the hood. Go to the local drugstore and try different reading glasses 'til you read fine print 12" to 15" out and then go to your LWS and buy a cheater lense of that same power. You have to train yourself to look at everything around the arc and ignore the arc. I know this sounds crazy but once you accomplish this it will all be easier. It's a matter of watching the puddle and not the arc.
    I have 3 sets of glasses, Tri, bi and close-up . I use the close-up with the hood as that Rx is the bottom part of each lens. I like your suggestion of not looking at the arc. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    Same problem here. A couple things that help:
    Welding in bright sunlight makes a difference, adding strong shop light doesn't except that you can see where you're starting better
    I wear progressive lenses in my glasses. I got a cheap pair of my reading prescription only made and that helps a lot. Readers from the drugstore didn't help me because I have astigmatism.
    I got a different helmet, that helped
    I taped a black cloth over the back and sides of my hood which cuts out extra light. That helps.
    I added a cheater lens which helped a lot. Went through a couple different ones, I think what's on there now is 2x.

I can't say which did the most, the combination helps a lot. But maybe I'd give a slight nod to the new helmet. I used to use a cheap Harbor Freight auto dark hood until it died. After a ton of research, I settled on the Harbor Freight Vulcan hood and what a difference! Amazing!
    Thanks! Not always able to be outside and I have some issues with light getting in through the back of th helmet . Plugging it seems to be a good idea. My helmet is of fair+ quality so.I think I'm ok there. going to try to get real close to the arc to get close focus and try to look all around it rather than at it. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

What has worked for me is:

1. Dark cloth on back of hood that prevents any light from entering.

2. Bright light on the welding area,

3 Optrel Crystal 2.0 hood.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

9. Likes mule47, Tool Junkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem. Luckily, I searched for "welding cheater lens" and found a bunch of different strengths. I had purchased one of the large screen auto Yes Welder helmets and they fill 1/2 the screen and I'll tell yeah, I thank God I found them.
    If you have a wide view helmet, try them out. I read that some welding supplies sell them. I got them on Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

What shade are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    What has worked for me is:

1. Dark cloth on back of hood that prevents any light from entering.

2. Bright light on the welding area,

3 Optrel Crystal 2.0 hood.

Yeah, what he said!

I have been struggling with the same problem for about 2 years, and finally had enough.I had tried the lights, and a back cover( which did help some) but it was still not enough. I bit the bullet and bought a new helmet. An Optrel Crystal 2.0.
    It was liking having cataract surgery. I didn't realize how much I wasn't seeing!

Name:  20210502_130656.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  76.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

This one way to go
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QXPM6Y...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I use magnifier safety glass under hood.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mule47 View Post
    At the age of 69, in 2016 I came out of retirement from an unrelated profession to explore a hobby in steel fabrication. I attended a community college and graduated with honours in 2017, but welding was always a problem. I understand the theory but it's the eyes which seem to be the missing connective factor. As soon as I strike an arc in stick I can't see anything except the arc. There is sometimes enough light with a fillet weld where both plates can reflect light. Haven't any idea where I'm going on the piece after that. I've tried all electronic adjustments possible to the helmet but to no avail .. Any of the older folks out there with the same problem? If so, how did you correct it? Or is it something that really ends welding? Tig is a bit better and mig gives me a fair amount of grief under similar circumstances. Thanks for any replies.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist