+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safety Glasses AND pancake hood OR pancake hood?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Safety Glasses AND pancake hood OR pancake hood?

So here's a general question: I gather that safety glasses are intended to keep sparks and stuff out of the eyes. The place I'm about to start working is, as they should be, very diligent about safety glasses. No problem with that, like my eyes a lot, will do. Got a scoop hood and a regular flip hood which I gather one wears safety glasses under for...well, safety. OK good, cool with that. I also have a pancake hood which I love. NOTHING fits under that. The box seals out everything. So, does the box sealing out everything count AS the safety feature? I gather that some have the sticker on them that says OSHA approved--mine doesn't say it on it but some do but it's the same thing. Do I then just flip on the safety glasses when I don't have it on/down OR do I need to find some that are kinda goggle like instead of big winged that will fit under it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safety Glasses AND pancake hood OR pancake hood?

Most of the plants that I work in require safety glasses on all the time, even under the hood. OSHA approved is not correct terminology, OSHA requires safety equipment to meet certain requirements set by others, I think your hood would need to be ANSI approved in order for OSHA to accept it. Here is a link for a pancake hood that meets these criteria. A pancake hood is almost exclusively used in pipeline work, I have only seen one or two in industrial setting over many years.

https://www.originalpancakebrandweld...od-for-glasses
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Waters safety glasses will fit under a pancake. Real thin earpieces & small round lenses.Should be ANSI approved.

http://www.plwelder.com/store.php/categories/tom-waters

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the hood is approved as primary eye protection, which is what the safety glasses are for. I doubt you can get away with only the pancake. Probably not impact tested like the eyewear. But check and see what it says on the engravings/impressions in the hood. If you see ANSI Z87.1+ then you are good with hood only.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    But check and see what it says on the engravings/impressions in the hood. If you see ANSI Z87.1+ then you are good with hood only.
    One model of Wendy's pancake, the Z, has the ANSI sticker on it and Original Pancake has one as Leightrepairs said. I checked Wendy's site after seeing the OP one and it's apparently new as of May that they had it. I think I'll call Wendy's tomorrow and order their Z model because the one I have is from them.

As for it not being common other than with the pipeline guys, I can see why they use them so heavily but the advantages indoors are still huge with getting rid of backlighting glare. I mean HUGE. I see stuff I never saw before, way way wider field of view because of the contrast and having the lens so much closer to my face. Just sculpting yesterday with horseshoes I was able to see the whole sculpture I was working on instead of just a couple of inches in either direction. This will be a massive help to me running long seams on tool boxes, truck beds, etc.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 08-16-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just be aware, that just having the ANSI approval might not get you out of wearing safety glasses. I know nothing about pipeline work so I am not speaking about that, but in most industrial plants today safety glasses are standard PPE with few exceptions. The most common exception that I know of is when wearing a full face respirator, but not a welding hood, and arguing with the safety man is usually a no win. In the end it will be what ever the rules are where ever you are working and many places will have rules that are different then OSHA, you should remember that OSHA rules and regulations are the bare minimum that must be meet, not the gold standard. I do work in many places whee if all you meet was OSHA regs they would quickly show you the way off property.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    Just be aware, that just having the ANSI approval might not get you out of wearing safety glasses. I know nothing about pipeline work so I am not speaking about that, but in most industrial plants today safety glasses are standard PPE with few exceptions. The most common exception that I know of is when wearing a full face respirator, but not a welding hood, and arguing with the safety man is usually a no win. In the end it will be what ever the rules are where ever you are working and many places will have rules that are different then OSHA, you should remember that OSHA rules and regulations are the bare minimum that must be meet, not the gold standard. I do work in many places whee if all you meet was OSHA regs they would quickly show you the way off property.
    Ah good point. I'll wait to see what they say. If I gotta get the Original model 500 and those glasses to work with it then I'll do it, definitely gotta follow the rules to get paid. This particular place isn't a plant but they are conscientious enough to have had me go through a pretty extensive physical complete with hearing, vision, and lifting tests. They didn't say wear a respirator but I'm going to do that anyway because I am very interested in being safe, and I hate the smell and taste in my mouth if I don't anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

It can't just say ANSI, it needs to exactly say Z87.1 or it does not qualify as safety eyewear. I am not familiar with this type of shield but if it makes it impossible to also wear safety glasses, I would think they would get it approved to the eyewear standards to cover you. But you will need to find out if that is true or not and then proceed as appropriate.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

If you get the right safety glasses, you can wear them all day long under any normal welding hood, and you won't even notice them.

But with that close fitting trim of a pancake hood, I don't think it would be comfortable or practical at all.. unless you specifically trimmed it to fit over the glasses? Try a different hood?

If you're welding, the hood is the eye protection, otherwise it's glasses and/or grinding faceshield. We've always turned a blind eye (har-har) to the practice of taking glasses off when hood is down, as long as they're not taking the mickey - ie. walking around without any eye protection at all.

Post Thanks / Like

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear safety glasses, under the hood (any kind of weld hood) or not or just walkin around **** flies around in a shop and will find it why into your baby blues or browns.

I work outside all the time and the wind blows gring dust evrywhere and ive got **** in my eyes just from without even workin anything and had to get it drilled out

11. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Situation resolved, at least for this location: wear glasses unless welding or otherwise wearing a face shield for stuff like grinding and plasma cutting. Eyes always covered by something work suitable. Either my existing Wendy's or new OP 500 works. Guys were noticing glasses fogging up a lot, particularly with the Covid masks, and it was realized that foggy glasses under hood are unsafe because it obscures your vision.

Post Thanks / Like

From,
    https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...perator-safety

Enhanced grinding options
    For many welding operators, grinding is a large and time-consuming — but necessary — part of the welding process. Some newer helmets offer a grind mode, which is a good option when the grinding is mostly post-weld cleanup work. With an external grind control option, the push of a button or flip of a switch puts the helmet into grind mode and adjusts the lens, which helps improve productivity and safety since there is no need for the operator to remove the helmet to make adjustments.

Some helmets provide the ability to flip up the auto-darkening lens while keeping the rest of the shield down. This opens up a clear grinding shield beneath the auto-darkening lens to provide the operator a clear view of the work surface for critical grinding applications and setup work. It should be noted that safety glasses are still required underneath helmets with clear grind shields. If using a welding helmet for grinding, be sure to look for the ANSI Z87.1+ marking, as the “+” indicates that the helmet is certified to protect against high impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes, there are flip up pancakes, might get that as my next one. I'm becoming something of a glutton for welding hoods lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    Ah yes, there are flip up pancakes, might get that as my next one. I'm becoming something of a glutton for welding hoods lately.
    Yeah it sounds to me like you got quite a collection of em....problem is you only got one head to put em on. I had one of those pancake hoods once, got one helluva of a sunburn on the one side of my face, last time i used it and i gave it to some fella who needed a weld hood one day, he liked it and wanted to buy it from me i told him if he wanted it it was his. Have a great day and good luck

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Professional glasses are indeed essential for protecting your eyes from sparks and debris, especially in a work environment that prioritizes safety.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tefoward View Post
    Professional glasses are indeed essential for protecting your eyes from sparks and debris, especially in a work environment that prioritizes safety.

Since your pancake hood doesn't have the OSHA-approved sticker, it might be a good idea to wear safety glasses when you don't have it on or when it's flipped up. This extra precaution ensures that your eyes are protected at all times.
    As for the question of whether the sealed box of the pancake hood counts as a safety feature, it does provide a level of protection. However, safety glasses offer an additional layer of defense, especially in situations where the hood might be lifted or removed.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there an advantage to a pancake hood? I had one for a bit and wasnt to impressed with it so I gave it to a fella that wanted it.

Popeye

20. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ive not tried a pancake but they seem to only be used by pipe welders with a tilted head to one side.
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled
    hobart handler 100

22. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some places just don’t allow pancake hood mo exceptions ! And they are designed for pipeline welders put them on and no backlight and you can walk with it on don’t have to raise your hood and with no back light and a #8 lens you can see the bevel so you don’t strike outside the bevel
    But I have seen some places just flat tell you they don’t allow them safety man one place I worked said it didn’t cover your whole face and he is correct if there are other people working close you could get hit with something

24. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    Some places just don’t allow pancake hood mo exceptions ! And they are designed for pipeline welders put them on and no backlight and you can walk with it on don’t have to raise your hood and with no back light and a #8 lens you can see the bevel so you don’t strike outside the bevel
    But I have seen some places just flat tell you they don’t allow them safety man one place I worked said it didn’t cover your whole face and he is correct if there are other people working close you could get hit with something
    They're really a niche item. Seems like they'd only be good for overhead. And like you said, they don't cover the sides of your face... you COULD put on a Nomex balaclava, though.
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 1 Week Ago at 09:08 PM.
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Never been a fan of pancake hoods. They were made for one purpose only and they do that very well.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

27. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like freebird said they were designed for one purpose { like a lot of tools and safety equipment } they are for guys that weld all day and are in the same position varying on left or right handed wore one for 20 still have two of them. They have a purpose and a place

29. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist