Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59

Thread: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Some places need to know the name on the neck ring or have you bring proof you bought the cylinders from a legitimate supplier. They don't want other suppliers filling their "stolen" cylinders so are returning the favor to other suppliers. There's lots of stolen and missing cylinders but impossible to keep track of them with millions out there.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    I thought this was more an issue of size.

    I was told by my LWS (Portland, Oregon) that the 150's don't have named necks and are by definition customer owned.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    I thought I would share this as well. Called the next closest supplier near me (1hour away) This is their prices.

    Thank you for your interest. We sell a 124 cf cylinder for outright purchase in addition to the 83 cf size. Most competitors freely swap out the 83 cf sized cylinders while the 124 cf cylinder fills are done by Praxair for cylinders purchased from us.


    I can provide the following contract prices if you set up an account with us (I sent you an online application in a separate email):

    Please let me know if you need delivery costs. I need the delivery address to provide cost.



    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
    I thought this was more an issue of size.

    I was told by my LWS (Portland, Oregon) that the 150's don't have named necks and are by definition customer owned.
    All smaller than 125 cu ft are customer owned as well as the odd size that you mention the 150 cu.ft. is always customer owned but since they are few and far between. When you need gas if your place doesn't fill on site it is a problem. Drop it off and come back in 1-2 weeks. Otherwise if you need gas you loose it for a 125 but at least you can always get gas after you loose your prize 150 bottle.

    The small 80's and even the 150 are always a blank ring though. They can have gas company names on them but don't matter to the Suppliers you have an account with as they know no body ever rented the bottles of that size or if they did it was so long ago anyone could have most any name on them originally or from bottle swaps.
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-19-2020 at 12:57 PM.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    that you mention the 150 cu.ft. is always customer owned but since they are few and far between. When you need gas if your place doesn't fill on site it is a problem. Drop it off and come back in 1-2 weeks.
    Not been my experience, I have no clue if they fill on site but I always get a different cylinder with sealed cap and zero wait. I could take it to another sole proprietor LWS and get it for $50 ($7 cheaper). Again, cylinder exchange, no wait.
    Last edited by crazybrit; 08-19-2020 at 12:59 PM.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
    Not been my experience, I have no clue if they fill on site but I always get a different new cylinder with sealed cap and zero wait. I could take it to another sole proprietor LWS and get it for $50 ($7 cheaper). Again, cylinder exchange, no wait.
    I used to have a 150 and it was often the gas you wanted was not in stock in a 150. Not so much a issue in Fort Lauderdale at Praxair but up here in Ocala we have only Matheson and Airgas but neither fill on site. Matheson has low stock of customer owned and Airgas only sends your bottle out and you get it back the next week filled.

    You can't get even genuine customer owned 250's these days around here. Matheson never has them. Airgas you have to drop of and come back in a week for everything.

    If they have any 150's often I see they are just pretending it is a 125 and it is in with the 125's and they are swapping it that way.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    I used to have a 150 and it was often the gas you wanted was not in stock in a 150. Not so much a issue in Fort Lauderdale at Praxair but up here in Ocala we have only Matheson and Airgas but neither fill on site. Matheson has low stock of customer owned and Airgas only sends your bottle out and you get it back the next week filled.

    You can't get even genuine customer owned 250's these days around here. Matheson never has them. Airgas you have to drop of and come back in a week for everything.

    If they have any 150's often I see they are just pretending it is a 125 and it is in with the 125's and they are swapping it that way.
    Well, consider this a major shout out for Central Welding in Portland Oregon. I've always been very happy with how they've treated me. Helps that they are a 2 mile drive from my house. The other shop, Jones welding ($7 cheaper) I've only been to once. Seems a cool place. I'm not a fan of big national companies like AirGas and Matheson. I suspect if you do enough volume you can get good prices from them but otherwise they're way too expensive.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Are DOT-stamped vs ISO-stamped customer-owner cylinders treated as equal for refilling and transportation purposes?
    LINCOLN Power MIG 210 MP

    LINCOLN Ranger 330 MPX

    MILLER Thunderbolt AC/DC

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 190C

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 45XP

    HOUGAN HMD 505

    HOUGAN HMD 130

    FEIN/SLUGGER 14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
    Well, consider this a major shout out for Central Welding in Portland Oregon. I've always been very happy with how they've treated me. Helps that they are a 2 mile drive from my house. The other shop, Jones welding ($7 cheaper) I've only been to once. Seems a cool place. I'm not a fan of big national companies like AirGas and Matheson. I suspect if you do enough volume you can get good prices from them but otherwise they're way too expensive.
    All I can say is “FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS SHOP ST AIRGAS. “. Vote with your feet !!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    I've been keeping an eye on these. They regularly sell for 79.99 + 42 shipping. If you don't want to bid he sells them outright and has a best offer option. I did confirm these have a good date, and dot stamp.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/402369869657

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ctbme02; 08-22-2020 at 09:54 AM.

  11. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
  12. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lockhart,Tx (BBQ capitol of the world)
    Posts
    1,134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
    Are DOT-stamped vs ISO-stamped customer-owner cylinders treated as equal for refilling and transportation purposes?
    ISO stamped cylinders conform to all DOT specs and then some.
    I purchased an ISO stamped cylinder and my LWS told me that no gas supplier can refuse to fill or exchange an ISO cylinder, even though some will try out of ignorance.

  13. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    I feel for you guys! I have zero problems with any of this crap locally. I can buy anything up to 125 ft³ and swap in whatever so long as the hydrotest is good. Some of those prices are rediculous!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  14. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Check the local mom n pop places( if Airgas hasn’t ruined them yet and put the, out of business). You may be surprised. That 125 is going to pay for itself in a few years with the prices everyone is charging to fill the small ones.
    See what Indiana Oxygen is selling too. That shipping looks like a deal breaker to me.......


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    => UPDATE:

    My e-Bay purchase of a 80 CF argon cylinder was cancelled by the seller as they would not ship to Hawaii.

    Local Craigslist has some used cylinders but they looked like they were leased units someone was selling illegally.

    I ended up purchasing from IOC in Indiana for $195 (https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...lium-and-mixes), for delivery to my freight forwarder in California, for ocean freight to Hawaii. $195 each 80 cf cylinder, free shipping to California. My freight forwarder charge was $106 from California to Hawaii for one cylinder and $107 for two cylinders. I decided to purchase two 80 CF cylinders and, total cost for the 2 is about $500, delivered to me.

    If I leased/rented a cylinder from AirGas here the daily rental/lease if $1.30 per day, so after 1 year it would have been near $500 for only 1 cylinder. Purchase was a better deal.
    LINCOLN Power MIG 210 MP

    LINCOLN Ranger 330 MPX

    MILLER Thunderbolt AC/DC

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 190C

    HYPERTHERM Powermax 45XP

    HOUGAN HMD 505

    HOUGAN HMD 130

    FEIN/SLUGGER 14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW

  16. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Why buy a new cylinder? My local gas supplier only does exchanges. If you buy a nice shiny new cylinder you get a different one in return. Also after a period of time the cylinder needs to be tested.

    Just go to your local supplier and buy a tank filled. Then when you need gas you only pay for the fill and they just swap tanks with you.

  17. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by edgephoto View Post
    Why buy a new cylinder? My local gas supplier only does exchanges. If you buy a nice shiny new cylinder you get a different one in return. Also after a period of time the cylinder needs to be tested.

    Just go to your local supplier and buy a tank filled. Then when you need gas you only pay for the fill and they just swap tanks with you.
    That is what you do if the price is not a problem but when you can buy second hand 125 and 250 cylinders used for $100 -$150 why would you not do that. Like you said don't matter they are swapping it out anyhow.

    I have never been charged for a out of date hydro at any place that swaps cylinders.

    That would never work. Are they going to pay you when you bring in a cylinder with a brand new date and they give you back one with only 3 years left. They all do not care or charge for hydro's ever at any one of at least 6 suppliers I have done business with over the years.


    The local supplier will charge more than online. If it was that simple nobody would ever have a issue getting a cylinder at a good deal. It is cheaper to buy new or refurbished than buy one from them 99% of the time.

    Otherwise the answer to tank/gas would always be just go to gas supplier and buy one from them. That is not really the best answer unless you must have it now today at any cost. If you have even a few days finding a cylinder used isn't that difficult in most areas.

    Craigslist is full of them all the time.

    https://miami.craigslist.org/search/...tanks&sort=rel

    $140 for 125 cu ft with gas.

    https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/tls...181302852.html
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-06-2020 at 12:18 PM.

  18. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Only buy new.
    Used tank's may fail the test and then have yard art.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
    My LWS's (Matheson and Airgas) sells 60 cf gas cylinders for more than $230 each, and I noticed that eBay has new 80 cf for $205, including delivery.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-CF-WELDI...1&isGTR=1#shId

    More than 900 sold and 99% positive reviews.

    Anyone on WW purchased/used these cylinders?

  19. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Only buy new.
    Used tank's may fail the test and then have yard art.

    Dave
    What, every used tank is automatically out of date ? You can't see the date for your self and decide to buy or not ? Even if it needed a hydro it doesn't make a bit of difference at majority of suppliers. They are all almost on exchange program.

    You exchange them so nobody even looks at the date and doesn't matter anyhow if it is out of date they still exchange it and they pay for the hydro it needs. All part of exchange program.

    If it fails a hydro they own it now so who cares. It is usually only grossly rusted cylinders that fail hydro when they should have been rejected based on precheck visual examination of the cylinder already. In any case they eat any that fail. They sure as heck don't put your name on the tank and call you up later to tell you a cylinder you exchanged last month just failed hydro. They all go into the inventory pool. If one gets trashed they don't care as that cost is figured in already.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-06-2020 at 03:36 PM.

  20. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
  21. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    ...my LWS told me that no gas supplier can refuse to fill or exchange an ISO cylinder, even though some will try out of ignorance.
    My local Airgas refused to fill a brand new tank which had ISO, but no DOT stamp.

    Make sure your new tank has this DOT stamp.

  22. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    If your gas supplier and tank is for exchange.
    But if you are buying a tank and it is not exchange it is best to buy new tank or may or may have costly yard art.
    Very old or from other parts of world are not DOT and can not get tank filled.

    Most gas suppliers want buy there tank for exchange.

    But like gambling buy use.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    What, every used tank is automatically out of date ? You can't see the date for your self and decide to buy or not ? Even if it needed a hydro it doesn't make a bit of difference at majority of suppliers. They are all almost on exchange program.

    You exchange them so nobody even looks at the date and doesn't matter anyhow if it is out of date they still exchange it and they pay for the hydro it needs. All part of exchange program.

    If it fails a hydro they own it now so who cares. It is usually only grossly rusted cylinders that fail hydro when they should have been rejected based on precheck visual examination of the cylinder already. In any case they eat any that fail. They sure as heck don't put your name on the tank and call you up later to tell you a cylinder you exchanged last month just failed hydro. They all go into the inventory pool. If one gets trashed they don't care as that cost is figured in already.

  23. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    If your gas supplier and tank is for exchange.
    But if you are buying a tank and it is not exchange it is best to buy new tank or may or may have costly yard art.
    Very old or from other parts of world are not DOT and can not get tank filled.

    Most gas suppliers want buy there tank for exchange.

    But like gambling buy use.

    Dave
    If it was their tank you wouldn't own it they would and it would be a lease/rental bottle. If that is all they would fill/exchange you are at the wrong place for certain. Buy a new tank with their name on it you are really not smart as you just bought THEM a tank. You will only be able to do fill exchange it at their business and completely worthless for resale.

    A customer owned tank is a customer owned tank no matter where it came from or where you are taking it. They will exchange or fill either one just the same at any supply house of Praxair, Airgas or Matheson that I have ever visited all over state of Florida at least.

    I have no less than 20 tanks and any one of them can be taken anywhere for fill or exchange. BECAUSE I OWN THEM. Almost every one was purchased used.

    Real simple stuff. Blank or "Customer Owned" neck ring on anything 125 cu ft or bigger is customer owned. The 150 cu ft is also a customer owned bottle regardless of neck ring. Everything smaller than 125 cu ft is customer owned regardless of neck ring.

    Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    My local Airgas refused to fill a brand new tank which had ISO, but no DOT stamp.

    Make sure your new tank has this DOT stamp.
    Sounds like a new tank just as risky, eh ? Heard that before that the ones from Harbor Freight are ISO and some places will not fill them.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-06-2020 at 08:09 PM.

  24. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Cyberweld has a good price on a 60 cu ft tank. Perfect addition to your big tanks if you need portability.

  25. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    914
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Cyberweld has a good price on a 60 cu ft tank. Perfect addition to your big tanks if you need portability.
    Then you just buy a high pressure hose and fill them yourself off your 250's or 330's so you don't get robbed on refills for the little guy.

  26. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,843
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    Taking about getting a tank filled.
    If tank fails test then you have yard art. Part test is if it stamp and meets DOT spec.
    So own a tank that can not be filled.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    If it was their tank you wouldn't own it they would and it would be a lease/rental bottle. If that is all they would fill/exchange you are at the wrong place for certain. Buy a new tank with their name on it you are really not smart as you just bought THEM a tank. You will only be able to do fill exchange it at their business and completely worthless for resale.

    A customer owned tank is a customer owned tank no matter where it came from or where you are taking it. They will exchange or fill either one just the same at any supply house of Praxair, Airgas or Matheson that I have ever visited all over state of Florida at least.

    I have no less than 20 tanks and any one of them can be taken anywhere for fill or exchange. BECAUSE I OWN THEM. Almost every one was purchased used.

    Real simple stuff. Blank or "Customer Owned" neck ring on anything 125 cu ft or bigger is customer owned. The 150 cu ft is also a customer owned bottle regardless of neck ring. Everything smaller than 125 cu ft is customer owned regardless of neck ring.



    Sounds like a new tank just as risky, eh ? Heard that before that the ones from Harbor Freight are ISO and some places will not fill them.

  27. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 80 cf argon cylinders from eBay?

    502 test post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,603,982,441.55497 seconds with 12 queries