+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What type of helmet to use with my welder?

Post Thanks / Like

What type of helmet to use with my welder?

I don't weld a lot. A few times a year, for a few minutes at a time. Seems though that it hurts my eyes. When I'm done welding, my eyes feel very fatigued and almost as if I've been taking looks at the sun. And the older I get, the worse it gets. Didn't think too much of it until today. My eye sight is progressively getting worse on its own. I don't want to facilitate it by using the wrong helmet!

I was given the welder and a helmet seen in the attached pics. The welder runs off 110.

I googled this but I see there are different recommendations for different types of welders... and ashamedly, I don't know what mine is considered. I'm not using gas. Just flux core wire.

Advice appreciated!

Name:  DSCN1000.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  126.7 KBName:  DSCN1001.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  96.8 KBName:  DSCN1002.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  111.1 KBName:  DSCN1003.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  94.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What type of helmet to use with my welder?

Your eye fatigue is not from the helmet. Even in the clear state the lens protects your eyes from harmful UV rays.

I would bet yer eyes are just old like mine.

The shade darkness is for comfort, you might try a darker setting and see how it feels.

When was the last time you had an eye exam ?

My problem is that the dark shades are too dark and my eyes strain too much.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Your eye fatigue is not from the helmet. Even in the clear state the lens protects your eyes from harmful UV rays.

I would bet yer eyes are just old like mine.

The shade darkness is for comfort, you might try a darker setting and see how it feels.

When was the last time you had an eye exam ?

My problem is that the dark shades are too dark and my eyes strain too much.
    Thanks. Let me clarify a bit. It's not that my eyes feel fatigued after welding that concerns me. It's the fact that when I'm done, it's as if I've been an idiot and looking at the sun for a bit... with white spots.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as that weldin hood is workin right it should be fine, if you arent certain about that because of your lack of experience ( pardon me Im not trying to bust your balls, experience would let you know its workin right) let a welder try it out for a minute or 2 and he could let you know its workin right.

Personally i never was crazy about autodark weld hoods, too may times they go dark when i dont want em to, or they will get out of dark mode if a shift my head to see around a corner or something. I guess im just a cranky old fart that dont wanna get domesticated or somethin.

And yes old age has a way of wearin out your eyeballs along with evrything else on or in your body.

Me and Jesus need to have a serious heart to heart conversation about this thing they call an aging process

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you have the right helmet for your welder.

AWS recommends a DIN setting of 11 (minimum) for your 135-amp arc welder. So, if you're using it as set (around 12 DIN) you should be good, but could go darker.

My helmet is usually set to 12, and I find having work lights focused on the weld area lessens the contrast and is easier on my eyes. More on auto-darkening lenses.
    Dave
    WelditU.com

Lincoln Weld-Pak 140HD
    Hobart Handler 140

Post Thanks / Like

#10 is the standard shade for welding. For that machine a #9 would be suitable for some users. #12 is what you use for high amps or gouging. I think you're confusing the Din rating for UV/IR with the welding shade numbers. If the helmet is working properly and the lens isn't damaged it should be fine but I'm wondering if the lens is darkening? Is the lens solar powered only or does it have a battery back up? Auto lenses can go bad and not darken. If inexperienced might not notice because the lens is a shade 3/4 before welding. You can definitely get eye fatigue from having too low a shade of lens. You might not get flashed but your eyes can get sore and some people get headaches.

Post Thanks / Like

While OSHA does recommend a #10 shade for 60-160 amp GMAW and FCAW welders, both ANSI and AWS recommend a #11.
    Dave
    WelditU.com

Lincoln Weld-Pak 140HD
    Hobart Handler 140

Post Thanks / Like

Your lens actually does go dark when you strike the arc, right?? You've tested that? If so, then you probably need to darken your setting. Can't tell from your pic what it's set on right now. I'm almost 73, have rough vision and have no trouble with my auto-dark helmet or with my eyes after welding with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should geta good comprehensive eye exam & explain your issue with the doctor, I would think you need to see an Ophthalmologist rather than an Optometrist.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Get another helmet from someone to try.
    That helmet may not be doing it's job.
    It's possible the sensitivity setting could be slow reacting from age. It's not reacting fast enough.
    I only have one set of eyes and wouldn't gamble with a cheap hood.
    Many use a HF and like it . I'll stick to my $275 Miller. Although it's over 10 years old.
    I'll be upgrading to the Miller Digital infinity next.
    Adding a halogen light will help too . A photography light is really nice if you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep... a friend lent me his cheapy Princess Auto (similar to Harbor Freight in Canada) to try and I couldn't use it... too slow to darken. I wasn't going to buy an auto hood after that, but the kids got me a $300 Hobart autodarken one year for xmas and I love it. Getting a little long in the tooth now but I've been using it for probably close to 10 yrs. With 62 yr old eyes I echo many of the sentiments above on getting your eyes checked... lighting up your project better with passive lighting helps as do cheater lenses or reading glasses under the hood. See if a LWS will let you test drive another helmet and see what you think. A solid lens helmet in a proper shade would be better than an autodarken that isn't working right.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist