Thread: 89' Sa250 alternator melting wires

Post Thanks / Like

89' Sa250 alternator melting wires

Picked up a machine the other day had no problems. Welding fine power to outlets. Get home from a job and noticed wires coming from oil pressure sender looked melted. Followed the wires(melted) around to the ammeter gauge and to the splice with the alternator wire(melted) to the idle control switch(not melted). I'm not sure what's going on here. Is my alternator bad? The wires are burning shortly after start up. Also is a diesel machine with Perkins 3 cyl. D3 152 model
    Last edited by Weldingseabee; 08-21-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 89' Sa250 alternator melting wires

I am no expert but maybe the voltage regulator in the alternator has gone bad and the alternator is putting out more voltage than it should normally do. One check is to start the machine and probe the battery terminals to see what voltage the alternator is sending to it. Good luck, I hope you get the issue sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like

After cleaning all grounds and replacing the melted wires everything seems to be fine. I believe the original wire was corroded inside the insulation. Good luck if anyone else runs into the same problem. Thanks Rugrat for taking the time to help.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to hear that you got the issue corrected!