+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harbor Freight's cheapest grinder can be modified to be a great tungsten sharpener

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight's cheapest grinder can be modified to be a great tungsten sharpener

After not being able to find my bench grinder I've had in storage (I moved to a different state and it's been there for 2 years), and after getting a new welder, I decided to get a new bench grinder. After doing some research, I purchased Harbor Freight's cheapest 3" grinder and a 3" 150 grit diamond wheel off Amazon and the results have been good to say the least! I made a little video a couple months ago, and I've used it a lot so far. Honestly, this grinder probably isn't powerful enough to do much more than grind tungsten, but its quiet, small, and dirt cheap!

2. Likes FlyFishn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight's cheapest grinder can be modified to be a great tungsten sharpene

Excellent!

I've seen those grinders before.

Several years ago I bought a variable speed 6" bench grinder for sharpening knives. I use the fine wheel on one side. I bought a Razor Sharp Edge Making System from Woodvcraft based on a recommendation from a local knifemaker. I use the slotted paper wheel out of the kit for polishing edges. I don't do too much with the fine stone wheel because even it being "fine" on a low speed grinder it can still take off a lot of metal on a blade quickly. The paper wheel is another story - it is a blessing for getting sharp edges as long as the blades are formed properly and aren't overly dull (if they are they need some stone work to bring the edge back before buffing on the paper wheel).

For the purpose of sharpening tungsten the diamond wheel probably is a fantastic option. In fact, I would imagine the paper wheel would separate with the point of the tungsten. It is meant for blade edges. It is made out of layers of cardboard paper so a flat or curved blade is fine, a point - not so much. I'd be interested to try it, though.

Just FYI - your diamond wheel isn't spinning true. When you spin it by hand you can see the wobble clearly in the video. The way you are sharpening the tungsten off the table (table on the grinder) it might not matter. I suspect that is also what is causing the grinder to walk across the desk - the vibration from the untrue wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight's cheapest grinder can be modified to be a great tungsten sharpene

Im looking for something like that for drill bits. I use 5/8 and 3/4 bits in my projects. I wonder if that wheel is too narrow, Your thought?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist