Thread: regulator leak

Post Thanks / Like

regulator leak

I purchased a Hobart 140 about 3 years ago and have just been using flux wire. I just got a tank with C75 and installed the regulator for the first time. Unfortunately it has a bad leak. I leaks at the regulator body. When the fitting from the tank was threaded in it didnít seal. I tried to remove it just one time with a vice grip and it didnít move. I have no idea how to get it out so I can put tape on the threads. The regulator body and gages make it a shape I canít put in a vice.

Was wondering if I could use a heat gun on the body to try free it.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: regulator leak

The fitting is leaking where it goes into the regulator? Best to slide the nut back and use a socket on the nipple. It should be a hex shape. Normally they are pretty tight. You have to get creative but should be able to clamp the edge of the regulator in a vice. I ran into a similar problem changing a fitting but worked with a guy who did regulator repairs. He clamped a corner of the regulator in a vice and used a socket on the nipple. Make sure the fitting is leaking and not the regulator first. Don't use heat on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Best to slide the nut back and use a socket on the nipple.
    The leak is defiantly coming from the threads on the nipple. I can see a bit of teflon tape but it didn't work. It's a big leak.

I tried that with a 6 point socket, it's soft brass and I think any more pressure then I applied and it will round it. I guess I have nothing to lose. I can try to get it stuck into a vice and then use the socket and small pipe wrench. As long as I don't break the regulator I can probably get a replacement nipple. It was never tested at the factory that's for sure. I would have expected a bit better QC from Hobart. Might as well have gotten a mig welder from Harbor Freight and saved 250 bucks.

And, thanks for taking the time to answer my original post.

Post Thanks / Like

Could it still be on warranty? Most machines have a 3 year warranty. I wouldn't knock the machine just because the regulator leaks. You could also call Hobart/Miller and see what they say. They might even supply a new regulator if it's never even been used or suggest a service center that could change the nipple. Worst they can do is say the warranty is expired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokey9701 View Post
    The leak is defiantly coming from the threads on the nipple. I can see a bit of teflon tape but it didn't work. It's a big leak.

I tried that with a 6 point socket, it's soft brass and I think any more pressure then I applied and it will round it. I guess I have nothing to lose. I can try to get it stuck into a vice and then use the socket and small pipe wrench. As long as I don't break the regulator I can probably get a replacement nipple. It was never tested at the factory that's for sure. I would have expected a bit better QC from Hobart. Might as well have gotten a mig welder from Harbor Freight and saved 250 bucks.

And, thanks for taking the time to answer my original post.
    Is it a regulator with two round gauges, or a flow meter with a round gauge and a flow tube? Can you post a picture? Sometimes they come with different ways to attach the hose and all of the fittings will be stacked together...but they will leak if you try to use them that way.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 252 W/Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Is it a regulator with two round gauges, or a flow meter with a round gauge and a flow tube? Can you post a picture? Sometimes they come with different ways to attach the hose and all of the fittings will be stacked together...but they will leak if you try to use them that way.
    It has 2 round gauges. I was able to back it out seal the threads and now it's fine. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd guess it's a flow gauge. 2 round gauges but the delivery is in CFH rather than PSI. Glad you got it fixed easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes when nipple is tight and you don't want to round it off and booger it up you can tighten it extra tight to a tank and twist the regulator off it that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the regulator issues sorted out about a week ago and put thing aside. So today, I had to fabricate a steel part for a motorcycle carrier. In the past I have always used stick welders and with this little Hobart I just used flux wire for small things to save on the expense of a cylinder. Well I switch the polarity to EP and fired it up and I had no idea how much better MIG with gas is over stick and flux wire. All of a sudden, my welds almost look like I know what I'm doing. No spatter BBs all over the place, not smoke. Just a light clean up and ready to go. Live and learn.
    Last edited by smokey9701; 09-03-2020 at 02:18 PM.