Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Synchrowave 250 150 amp breaker wire size

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Synchrowave 250 150 amp breaker wire size

Quote Originally Posted by Capt B View Post
    There is a main disconnect outside the building then inside there are two breaker panels side by side which I was calling the main panels both fed independently from the disconnect. The sub-panel is ran off of one of them.
    Gotcha.

All other wiring is done correctly and no other breakers trip. The front panel of the welder says 110 amp without the water cooler so not sure why everyone thinks it shouldn't trip the breaker. Voltage drops to 203 under load put an ammeter on it and was pulling 118 before breaker tripped.
    Theres your answer. If you've measured all the parameters you already know.

The panel the sub panel for welder is fed from only has 6 breakers in it out of the 30 available slots so it is not overloaded.
    Determining a panel is overloaded or not is not by the count of the breakers. A sub panel rated for 100 amps would be "overloaded" with a single 125 amp breaker, even though the box is mostly "empty". Load is based on current - whether that is 1 big breaker or 30 smaller ones. If the load demand on the panel gets to the amperage rating of the main breaker for that panel then you are under-sized.

In the same example, if you have a 100 amp box and 30 15 amp circuits that is (30 x 15) = 450 amps. The key, though, is the load all of them combined draw at one time. You aren't going to be trying to run 15 amps off all 30 circuits, but at some point you may get close to 15 amps on some. There again - load demand. Back to the same 30 breaker example - just 3.33 amps average on each breaker (3.33 x 30 = 100) would max out the load on that panel, if it is a 100 amp panel. Something to think about...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I knew the reason just wanted to make sure I was going with the correct wire size. Its a 200 amp panel other breakers are 20 amps most of them for exterior lighting that hardly ever gets used. I plan on using 2-2-6 and a 125 amp breaker.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

3. Likes William McCormick, FlyFishn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you sound like the lady who was overdrawn. Still got lots of checks, can't be overdrawn. Overloaded is about load, not how many breakers.

Commercial buildings change uses. Buildings set up as shipping warehouses get overloaded when used for shops.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Now you sound like the lady who was overdrawn. Still got lots of checks, can't be overdrawn. Overloaded is about load, not how many breakers.

Commercial buildings change uses. Buildings set up as shipping warehouses get overloaded when used for shops.
    Not overdrawn the only breaker in that panel in use other than the welder is a 20 amp outlet breaker the other 5 are 20 amp breakers for exterior lights that get used maybe twice a year definitely not while the welder is in use during the day. The building wasn't a warehouse.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Put that blue machine in the corner and fire up the red face! Problem solved!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
    60 amps at 230 is 13,800 watts. We'll call this the upper limit, although that may not necessarily be the case (I've been pulling 40-45 amps through a 30a breaker without it popping regularly, for example).

The OP is running a 100 amp breaker on a single phase of 208 WYE. If we assume the voltage is 208v that would be 20,800 watts - 7,000 watts more than your 60 amps.
    I don't think that makes sense. I've had multiple Syncrowave 250s with coolers...four or five of them. That's the same machine as the OP and while I set them up for 230V I didn't have a problem using them on either 40 or 60A breakers. If he's tripping a 100A breaker something else is wrong.

The machines I had varied slightly on their data plate. They called for 92-96A on 230V service and 105.8 to 110.4V on 200V service. If I could run a 96A machine at 250A output for extended periods of time on a 40A breaker and not trip it, I don't see how the OP can't run a 110A machine on a 100A breaker without tripping it at only 225A output. Something else has to be happening to cause the problem.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 252 W/Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Put that blue machine in the corner and fire up the red face! Problem solved!
    Red Face gets used a good bit for on site steel. Synchrowave is used for aluminum and stainless tig.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    I don't think that makes sense. I've had multiple Syncrowave 250s with coolers...four or five of them. That's the same machine as the OP and while I set them up for 230V I didn't have a problem using them on either 40 or 60A breakers. If he's tripping a 100A breaker something else is wrong.

The machines I had varied slightly on their data plate. They called for 92-96A on 230V service and 105.8 to 110.4V on 200V service. If I could run a 96A machine at 250A output for extended periods of time on a 40A breaker and not trip it, I don't see how the OP can't run a 110A machine on a 100A breaker without tripping it at only 225A output. Something else has to be happening to cause the problem.
    I can run it for short periods of time at 225 but eventually the breaker will trip. Seems right to me considering the amps listed for machine. Hopefully I’ll have time to change out wire and breakers this week and see what happens.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

I can run it for short periods of time at 225 but eventually the breaker will trip. Seems right to me considering the amps listed for machine. Hopefully I’ll have time to change out wire and breakers this week and see what happens.
    That still sounds like something else is going on. The data plate lists input amps at rated output amps, which is 250A on your machine and you're tripping the breaker at only 225A....10% below the rated output. That would lower the required input by 10% as well so it shouldn't be over 100A. Breakers will degrade over time and the more they trip the worse they get.

I looked at my records and I've actually run six different Syncrowave 250 with coolers on 40A and 60A breakers (all set for 230V) and never once tripped the breaker while welding. Yesterday I was running my Sync 250DX at 250A flat out for the better part of an hour on 1/4" aluminum fillet welds....no issues and that machine is supposed to draw 96A at 250A output.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    That still sounds like something else is going on. The data plate lists input amps at rated output amps, which is 250A on your machine and you're tripping the breaker at only 225A....10% below the rated output. That would lower the required input by 10% as well so it shouldn't be over 100A. Breakers will degrade over time and the more they trip the worse they get.

I looked at my records and I've actually run six different Syncrowave 250 with coolers on 40A and 60A breakers (all set for 230V) and never once tripped the breaker while welding. Yesterday I was running my Sync 250DX at 250A flat out for the better part of an hour on 1/4" aluminum fillet welds....no issues and that machine is supposed to draw 96A at 250A output.
    Maybe you're right I don't know picked up the wire today hopefully will have time to rewire tomorrow. I'll do more voltage and amperage readings after it's done to see what max amp draw is. I am going by output amperage on the dial also so who knows how accurate it is. Most of the welding I do is thicker aluminum so I am consistently around 225 or so on the dial. Pedal at 90-100% most of the time. If I set it at 250 I'll trip the breaker in 5 mins or less.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

I'll measure the output amperage with a meter as well.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

I also found something I've never seen today. The welder now is powered off a sub-panel that has 100 amp breaker in it which is fed from one of the main panels off a 100 amp breaker. The sub-panel was there when we moved in so we just fed welder from it. I opened it today and it has 2-6awg wires for each hot leg coming from the main panel. Not sure if that meets code. Looked in both panels and that is the only circuit fed with multiple wires like that.
    There is your problem, you have three current limiting devices not set up in a branch-configuration. You have to start big and end up with a 100 amp breaker. Throw in a 200 main, then feed the sub with a 150, then your 100 amp breaker. Or get a Dynasty.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I knew the reason just wanted to make sure I was going with the correct wire size. Its a 200 amp panel other breakers are 20 amps most of them for exterior lighting that hardly ever gets used. I plan on using 2-2-6 and a 125 amp breaker.
    That is a good call. I know that setup will work. When we changed a 125 amp breaker that fed the sub-panel the welder was on to a 100 amp breaker the welder drew 145 amps instead of 70.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    That is a good call. I know that setup will work. When we changed a 125 amp breaker that fed the sub-panel the welder was on to a 100 amp breaker the welder drew 145 amps instead of 70.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Thanks, pulled new wire today replaced breakers with 125's and had time to do a little testing. I cranked the welder up to 310 amps and padded some beads on a piece of 3/4 aluminum plate. Definetly pushed the limits of the duty cycle. The wire and breaker never got hot, nothing tripped. I was by myself this afternoon so didn't measure amperage or voltage but tommorow when I have some help I'll measure everything.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

16. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The welder now is powered off a sub-panel that has 100 amp breaker in it which is fed from one of the main panels off a 100 amp breaker.
    Thanks, pulled new wire today replaced breakers with 125's and had time to do a little testing. I cranked the welder up to 310 amps and padded some beads on a piece of 3/4 aluminum plate. Definetly pushed the limits of the duty cycle. The wire and breaker never got hot, nothing tripped. I was by myself this afternoon so didn't measure amperage or voltage but tommorow when I have some help I'll measure everything.
    So you have 2x 125 amp breakers - one at the main panel to feed the sub and one in the sub feeding the welder?

And the sub is a 200 amp panel? Fed with a 125 amp breaker?

I suppose if it works it works - you aren't overloading circuits if you aren't popping breakers. However, you are cutting yourself a bit short on the supply from the main panel breaker to the sub panel.

When you get a chance - check the voltage before and after the main panel breaker and again before and after the sub panel breaker - under load, of course. I'd be curious where your voltage drops are/what they are.

Post Thanks / Like

So you have 2x 125 amp breakers - one at the main panel to feed the sub and one in the sub feeding the welder?

And the sub is a 200 amp panel? Fed with a 125 amp breaker?

I suppose if it works it works - you aren't overloading circuits if you aren't popping breakers. However, you are cutting yourself a bit short on the supply from the main panel breaker to the sub panel.

When you get a chance - check the voltage before and after the main panel breaker and again before and after the sub panel breaker - under load, of course. I'd be curious where your voltage drops are/what they are.

We have 400 amp 3 phase 208 service with 2-200 amp panels. One of those panels has a 125 amp breaker that feeds a sub panel in the back that only feeds that welder. It also has a 125 amp breaker for the welder. I plan on checking voltage soon got busy today and didn't have time. Did use the welder a good bit though still haven't tripped a breaker.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

I'll measure the output amperage with a meter as well.
    That would be very interesting to know!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I took some readings today.

I measured voltage and amperage with everything on in building like a normal day except welder(welder and cooler powered on not welding) and then again with welder set on 310 amps full pedal for 30 seconds.

Panel at welder 207 volts 6 amps welder at idle.
    Panel at welder 194.5 volts 150 amps for a sec when peddle is hit then settles around 125-130

Main Panel after breaker 207 volts 6 amps welder at idle.
    Main Panel after breaker 197 volts 150 amps for a sec when peddle is hit then settles around 125-130

Main Panel before breaker 207 volts 6 amps welder at idle.
    Main Panel before breaker 197.5 volts 150 amps for a sec when peddle is hit then settles around 125-130

Disconnect panel outside after fuses 207.5 volts 54 amps one leg 38 other welder at idle.
    Disconnect panel outside after fuses 199.4 volts 200 amps when peddle is hit then settles around 180 amps on one leg, 190 amps when peddle is hit then settles around 170 amps on one leg

Disconnect panel outside before fuses 207.5 volts 54 amps one leg 38 other welder at idle.
    Disconnect panel outside before fuses 199.5 volts 200 amps when peddle is hit then settles around 180 amps on one leg, 190 amps when peddle is hit then settles around 170 amps on one leg

So the biggest voltage drop is before the disconnect. I called the local power company and spoke with an engineer who said as long as the service didn't drop below 195 it was within there tolerance for 208.

Amperage is a little off on machine output dial set on 310 and we measured 290 not sure if clamp on amp meter is the most accurate way to measure welder output.

I am the only one in the shop who runs the welders, lathe, or mill so there's never more than one ran at a time. Have 3 other guys working with me 2 mechanics and a carpenter. Most of there tools are pneumatic or cordless other than table saw and chop saw.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

21. Likes FlyFishn, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I took some readings today.

I measured voltage and amperage with everything on in building like a normal day except welder(welder and cooler powered on not welding) and then again with welder set on 310 amps full pedal for 30 seconds.

Panel at welder 207 volts 6 amps welder at idle.
    Panel at welder 194.5 volts 150 amps for a sec when peddle is hit then settles around 125-130
    Excellent info.

So you are loosing 12.5 volts under load, total. For all the panels and cabling you are dealing with that doesn't seem too terrible. Then again, how often are you going to run the welder wide open like that?

Main Panel after breaker 207 volts 6 amps welder at idle.
    Main Panel after breaker 197 volts 150 amps for a sec when peddle is hit then settles around 125-130

Main Panel before breaker 207 volts 6 amps welder at idle.
    Main Panel before breaker 197.5 volts 150 amps for a sec when peddle is hit then settles around 125-130
    1/2 volt lost across main breaker distributing power to the sub the welder is on. Not bad at that amperage.

Disconnect panel outside after fuses 207.5 volts 54 amps one leg 38 other welder at idle.
    Disconnect panel outside after fuses 199.4 volts 200 amps when peddle is hit then settles around 180 amps on one leg, 190 amps when peddle is hit then settles around 170 amps on one leg

Disconnect panel outside before fuses 207.5 volts 54 amps one leg 38 other welder at idle.
    Disconnect panel outside before fuses 199.5 volts 200 amps when peddle is hit then settles around 180 amps on one leg, 190 amps when peddle is hit then settles around 170 amps on one leg

So the biggest voltage drop is before the disconnect. I called the local power company and spoke with an engineer who said as long as the service didn't drop below 195 it was within there tolerance for 208.

Amperage is a little off on machine output dial set on 310 and we measured 290 not sure if clamp on amp meter is the most accurate way to measure welder output.

I am the only one in the shop who runs the welders, lathe, or mill so there's never more than one ran at a time. Have 3 other guys working with me 2 mechanics and a carpenter. Most of there tools are pneumatic or cordless other than table saw and chop saw.
    What are you running for welding power? AC or DC? If AC - at what freq? "Amps are amps are amps are amps" isn't quite a correct way to go about it. There are some that think amperage can be measured for anything with 1 meter. That isn't the case. DC vs AC, specifically, requires a specific meter, or meter setting, for both. A clamp-style power meter is likely good for utility power at 60hz. If your machine outputs something different for AC that could also affect the reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent info.

So you are loosing 12.5 volts under load, total. For all the panels and cabling you are dealing with that doesn't seem too terrible. Then again, how often are you going to run the welder wide open like that?

1/2 volt lost across main breaker distributing power to the sub the welder is on. Not bad at that amperage.

What are you running for welding power? AC or DC? If AC - at what freq? "Amps are amps are amps are amps" isn't quite a correct way to go about it. There are some that think amperage can be measured for anything with 1 meter. That isn't the case. DC vs AC, specifically, requires a specific meter, or meter setting, for both. A clamp-style power meter is likely good for utility power at 60hz. If your machine outputs something different for AC that could also affect the reading.
    Welding on aluminum with A/C. No frequency adjustment 60Hz. The funny thing is theres an ammeter on the front of the machine and when we where testing everything I forgot to check the readings on it to compare to clamp meter. I'll check it tomorrow.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

24. Likes William McCormick, FlyFishn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    There is your problem, you have three current limiting devices not set up in a branch-configuration. You have to start big and end up with a 100 amp breaker. Throw in a 200 main, then feed the sub with a 150, then your 100 amp breaker. Or get a Dynasty.

Sincerely,
    William McCormick
    This is not really true. You can daisy chain panels of same ampacity all day long and as long as the total load doesn't exceed the ampacity of the feed it is not a problem. If you have a defective breaker then sure otherwise non issue.

The condos I worked for 30 years on Fort Lauderdale beach have many main feeds that may go through 4-6 breakers before it gets to the roof equipment panels often all the same ampacity from from breaker in main switch gear feeding it all and same all the way to the roof. . Even voltage sensitive elevator equipment runs perfectly out of the panels. Been running for 50 years or longer like that.

You might have FPL feed coming out of transformer vault with breaker feeding it in a main distribution panel. Then say a 800 amp in that panel that feeds the EM transfer switch where it goes through the normal power breaker to feed EM panel in ground/basement then feed through or have another breaker to head for the roof where it may come up in the elevator equipment room and then maybe feed another electric room on the roof where the same ampacity feed that started in the main distribution finally ends. Then it will have a breaker in that EM panel to feed equipment with yet another breaker in a enclosure for disconnect means for a piece of equipment.

I did main switch gear, transfer and generator change outs there for the last 10 years of my career.

Excellent info.

It is only going to tell you the amps it is delivering ONLY if the load at the end of it is using the amps. Your reading will never match exactly. The short at the end is constantly changing and so will the amp load you read. Before you strike up it will be zero when you weld the resistance is constantly changing so of course the amp draw will also. That only tells you what you are using NOT what the machine is able to deliver at a particular setting.

The only way to test a machine for true amperage output is with a load bank to see what it is delivering by putting that much load on it.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-05-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post

It is only going to tell you the amps it is delivering ONLY if the load at the end of it is using the amps. Your reading will never match exactly. The short at the end is constantly changing and so will the amp load you read. Before you strike up it will be zero when you weld the resistance is constantly changing so of course the amp draw will also. That only tells you what you are using NOT what the machine is able to deliver at a particular setting.

The only way to test a machine for true amperage output is with a load bank to see what it is delivering by putting that much load on it.

I understand how it works. I tried different arc lengths etc. to get the max amperage I could. Makes sense that a load bank would be the only accurate way to test.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

I understand how it works. I tried different arc lengths etc. to get the max amperage I could. Makes sense that a load bank would be the only accurate way to test.
    Yes sir just like amp probing wires out of a breaker and only reading the actual load not the breakers full potential. Easy to figure you can't measure the welders output any differently. You need a steady load applied that can be adjusted up to the welders setting.

28. Likes Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not really true. You can daisy chain panels of same ampacity all day long and as long as the total load doesn't exceed the ampacity of the feed it is not a problem. If you have a defective breaker then sure otherwise non issue.

The condos I worked for 30 years on Fort Lauderdale beach have many main feeds that may go through 4-6 breakers before it gets to the roof equipment panels often all the same ampacity from from breaker in main switch gear feeding it all and same all the way to the roof. . Even voltage sensitive elevator equipment runs perfectly out of the panels. Been running for 50 years or longer like that.

You might have FPL feed coming out of transformer vault with breaker feeding it in a main distribution panel. Then say a 800 amp in that panel that feeds the EM transfer switch where it goes through the normal power breaker to feed EM panel in ground/basement then feed through or have another breaker to head for the roof where it may come up in the elevator equipment room and then maybe feed another electric room on the roof where the same ampacity feed that started in the main distribution finally ends. Then it will have a breaker in that EM panel to feed equipment with yet another breaker in a enclosure for disconnect means for a piece of equipment.

I did main switch gear, transfer and generator change outs there for the last 10 years of my career.

I have hooked up many large welders, I no longer hook them up if there is a double 100 amp breaker. The only exception is if the panel is a 100 amp main panel and the breaker to the welder is a 100 amp breaker that is no problem. However any other configuration where there are two 100 amp breakers feeding one feeding a sub panel I just don't bother. It has happened too many times. Really good electricians that ran into the same problem about 35 years ago first told me about it. I took what they said to heart but you know the cost of wire and breakers and of course I tried. And sure enough when you are working so close to the breakers output, they do not supply proper voltage. And as soon as the voltage drops the amperage goes way up, even while in midrange output.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

An electrician that was working in the Shoreham nuclear plant and his buddies first explained it to me 35 years ago. He also hooked up my welder for me using a branch type of supply. It was the only time that welder ever sounded so solid. I took what he said to heart, but you know the cost of wire and breakers, and of course, I just had to try. And sure enough, the voltage drop was greater, and the amps went through the roof.

Some of the more comical things that happened were that one time, we took out a 125 amp breaker feeding a subpanel that had a 70 amp breaker that was supplying the welder, used it for years. I could not weld for more than five minutes at a reduced amperage. The machine was drawing 145 amps in midrange output. I tried a 100 amp breaker at the panel, no good it kept popping. As soon as the proper voltage was restored, I was able to put in a 70 amp breaker to the welder and weld all day. This was not the first or last time it happened. My friend, who owned a motor rewinding company, just laughed as he recounted his attempt to supply a motor rewound for the Navy that required 100 amps continuous upon a start test. The breakers in the panel were limiting the current and causing a drop below 100 amps. So they connected the motor directly to unlimited amperage from the transformer. The transformer blew off the pole. The lineman that came to put it back explained that you could never run an induction device like a large motor directly from the transformer because it draws infinite amperage for a split second. The breakers are current limiting devices that reduce the amount of amperage drawn. As I started to ponder this wisdom, I did remember the wire that shorted out from a transformer to a house one day. It kept popping like a string of firecrackers. The pop was not like the pop you get when that happens after the breaker.

Sincerely,

William McCormick