+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weldanpower 150 help

Post Thanks / Like

Weldanpower 150 help

Have a 150 AC only. Runs, and has power to the front panel, but welds like poo. Sorta runs a 1/8 7018 cranked to 150, but a really unstable arc that barely stays lit. I tested the field capacitor and cleaned the rings/brushes, and the tap contacts, but can't figure how to get the selector shaft out to clean/inspect that portion. Any help on that would be appreciated, along with anything else that would make this thing weld like my old Red crackerbox?

Thanks,
    Troy
    Fabricator 252i
    FP120
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor torches

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weldanpower 150 help

Try 7018AC rod. 7018 rod is for DC power. will weld on ac if the weld voltage is high enough 80vac plus ocv. If your welder is around 60ac you will have a hard time keeping the arc going if you can get it started.
    OR try some 6011 in the same size rod. If that welds good. switch to the 7018AC rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    Try 7018AC rod. 7018 rod is for DC power. will weld on ac if the weld voltage is high enough 80vac plus ocv. If your welder is around 60ac you will have a hard time keeping the arc going if you can get it started.
    OR try some 6011 in the same size rod. If that welds good. switch to the 7018AC rod.
    73v is what I get on the meter. Rod is 7018ac. 6011 doesn’t run much better.
    Fabricator 252i
    FP120
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor torches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tkevan View Post
    73v is what I get on the meter. Rod is 7018ac. 6011 doesn’t run much better.

After posting that, I started second guessing myself. Went out and actually looked at the rods, not the plastic container I refill. Yep, you nailed it. E7018, not 7018ac.😳 Fresh box of Lincoln 1/8 7018ac from my local Big Box store, and she’s good to go at 105a. I guess I just suck at 6011.

Thanks for the prod.
    Fabricator 252i
    FP120
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor torches

Post Thanks / Like

So I bought this 150 from a guy. Ac only, but I only need it for the occasional repair on the property, so I paid his asking price of 500. Probably a bit high for a Briggs unit, but it was converted to electric start, and he's helped me out in the past, so I didn't haggle. Question is, what do I need to do for maintenance on the welding end, other than cleaning the slip rings, and making sure the brushes are moving freely? First engine drive.

Thanks.
    Fabricator 252i
    FP120
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor torches

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist