+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking dual shield .052 uphill test tomorrow, looking for tips

Post Thanks / Like

Taking dual shield .052 uphill test tomorrow, looking for tips

Never ran dual shield. It’s a uphill test and that’s about all I know. For a company welding bridges and I got a 9:00 am test tomorrow that I need to ace! Seen Jody on welding tips and tricks run 23 volts and 260 wire with .045 but will those settings be close for .052? He was welding 1/4 in the video. And kept the torch straight on at the metal. Not aimed up at all, is that normal? Or little aimed up ok? I never really ran uphill on mig so I’m little worried. Machine was always to hot to do so typically

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking dual shield .052 uphill test tomorrow, looking for tips

Are there any other qualifications required for the job? If you've never run Dual-Shield especially vertical up, I think could be quite a challenge to pass a test on the first try. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

motolife313

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Never ran dual shield . . . It’s a uphill test and that’s about all I know . . .
    I never really ran uphill on mig so I’m little worried . . .
    Unless you can run E6010 Up-hand [open root] on prepped 6" pipe - you
    are wasting - your limited time, and talent . . .

Don't take the test - it is years beyond your skill ability . . .

hth

Opus

4. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Dislikes docwelder disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ignore OPUS FERRO, sorry mate but you are being a C*&% to OP here, what the hell does being able to run 6010 open root have to do with running duel shield? seriously go back in the deep hole you came from mate, I don't want to speak for everyone on this forum but I hope I do, this is a place to learn and ask for advice, not cut people down with this elitist crap.

I think at this point I have a pretty good reputation around this forum for the welding that I've shown here but let me tell you something, the first time I took a stick pipe test (TIG root, 7018 fill and cap) and stainless (304 pipe with 316L wire) I'd never done it before, I'd welded a bit of stick in a maintenance role but I'd never done a stick pipe weld and I'd only welded stainless with TGX flux core filler in power station boilers so I'd never set up a purge, I got a call to go do a weld test for a big liquid natural gas production plant, they paid my flights and accommodation halfway halfway across the country to go for the test, not the job and I somehow managed to bubble my way through the test and get the job.

within a month of that job I was putting out this on the stick side.

and this on the stainless TIG

The next job was another gas plant using duel shield, I'd never done that before either, again bubbled my way through the test and within a few weeks was producing this.

And this on the stainless duel shield

Now i've never run .052 duel shield so I can't give you any settings, but ASK THE INSPECTOR, that's what I did, I told the bloke doing the testing I didn't have much experience, and he gave me a starting point for voltage and wire feed speed, but to be sure look up a few .052 wires and see what the wire manufactures recommend and start there, duel shield is VERY forgiving even if the settings arnt perfect.

6. Likes ronsii, motolife313, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This entire conversation has been done before. It's deja vu all over again.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

It does matter what advice you give Moto...

He will walk in there and ignore everything.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

ask for practice pieces first to set up the welder setting for your style of welding. don't hurt to ask?
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

10. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    This entire conversation has been done before. It's deja vu all over again.
    The mig advice I was looking for last time was about a welder with inaccurate volts and wire speed. That’s why the last thread didn’t work well. That welder is fully broken now and we are using a different machine. Don’t work there any more anyways. They didn’t wanna pay for skill so I’m looking for a place that does. Have a good day

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you ttoks! I would probably need to find a door chart on a welder on the web to find the settings for .052. Not totally sure thickness. Probably 3/8

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doubt there will be a door chart. It's probably an industrial welder with a separate wire feeder. I've ran .045" and it's similar to 7018 but you have to move faster and don't really need to pause at the edges. The person giving the test can likely help you get set up but you still should ask for a practice piece to help set the machine where you like it. I did a test with Metal-Core once and the guy was trying to help me but suggested too hot of setting. It was a multi-pass weld in flat position. First pass went great and then for some reason I kept getting porosity. He tried too and couldn't understand it so let me practice for quite awhile. I finally gave up. Looking into after the fact is where I think running too hot was the problem. Just one of those times when nothing seemed to go right. I was wondering if you needed to be a journeyman welder or any other similar qualifications in addition to the weld test.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 08-28-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Best to look wire spec to get an idea. The one really big difference is CTWD contact to work distance. It is about 3/4" to 1" for it to work properly. Its really hard at first to get used to that if you have always done short circuit mig.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...d71M/c3101.pdf
    https://www.hobartbrothers.com/uploa...lement_71M.pdf

I don't think there will be a door chart with dual shield info. Voltage should be close to the same as .045, wire speed should be slower. Ask questions if you can, and listen to what they tell you. Some people are friendly, and will help if you ask. Others are not so friendly, and won't help you. In the end you will have gained something from the experience, whether you pass the test or not. Best of luck, hope something good comes of it.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

He said he set up the welder and I should have asked to have him set it up for uphill but figured I could get paid more if I set it up myself. Flat welds were set up from him at 29 and 370 wire or so. I set it up for 25 and 270 or so. Played with that a little. Single and triple passes. First time running dual shield and first time going uphill with mig. I liked it a lot and could see myself doing this weldingName:  29E58848-5EEA-473F-A180-CD8E19E988D7.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  82.5 KBName:  67006C02-215C-43F8-BA4A-6B34BEDE2706.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  95.3 KBName:  852CB3E0-9B7F-42A1-9DFC-C5898F8E8296.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  112.2 KBName:  9C188C35-61A1-4FF3-B64A-9F35A30058EE.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  116.9 KB

18. Likes ronsii, ttoks, albrightree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any weld test I did there was always a procedure. Although they can be pretty vague.....it will give you a starting point. Read the procedure, dial in the machine with a couple practice beads.....do the test.....pray to the welding gods....

Good luck
    Interprovincial RedSeal Welder and Steamfitter
    Miller Maxstar STL 110v
    Miller Blue Star DX 185
    Lincoln 180

Post Thanks / Like

but figured I could get paid more if I set it up myself
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    He means if we set it up for him
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

22. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hold an all position flux core CWB ticket. It covers duel shield, self shielded and metal core wires. The test is done with .045 duel shield wire.
    Duel shield wire welds vertical up nicer than anything else out there. Its so easy to run, just get the settings in the zone.
    Some dual shield wires run very nice on 100% co2 and other duel shield wires prefer 75/25 gas.
    Your shielding gas type used will influence voltage and wire feed settings.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a little bit of worm tracks and spatter but overall pretty good. Bigger question is... Did you get the job? They probably have a set pay rate. You don't get extra for setting the machine. Part of the job is knowing how to set the machine. Good shops more experienced guys will usually help out the newbies.

25. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that was my first time running uphill and really didn’t want the weld to fall out. New it looked a bit small putting it in. Could have it looking really strong if I had a day practice but they probably didn’t wanna train me. I actually wanna call them back and ask them to do that. Maybe work a day for free learning at there place. Didn’t get the job. I was also thinking I will practice 6g tig at my parents on my tig welder and start doing that for a living possibly and make some really good money. Only problem I always had was getting the root to be exposed in the pipe on the inside of it. Never have anyone there to show me tho. I wanna try again. Just need to get 2” pipe and go to my friends machine shop and bevel them on the lathe. Thanks for the nice words btw

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    ask for practice pieces first to set up the welder setting for your style of welding. don't hurt to ask?
    the last d1.1 i took there were scrap pieces already in the booth but i always carried some just to fine tune the machine and warm up my welding arm.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

The mig advice I was looking for last time was about a welder with inaccurate volts and wire speed. That’s why the last thread didn’t work well. That welder is fully broken now and we are using a different machine. Don’t work there any more anyways. They didn’t wanna pay for skill so I’m looking for a place that does. Have a good day
    good for you moto! keep looking until you get paid what you think you're worth. my last gig treated/paid me like i was the last welder on earth but it took about 15 years to find it.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

30. Likes motolife313, ronsii, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that was my first time running uphill and really didn’t want the weld to fall out. New it looked a bit small putting it in. Could have it looking really strong if I had a day practice but they probably didn’t wanna train me. I actually wanna call them back and ask them to do that. Maybe work a day for free learning at there place. Didn’t get the job. I was also thinking I will practice 6g tig at my parents on my tig welder and start doing that for a living possibly and make some really good money. Only problem I always had was getting the root to be exposed in the pipe on the inside of it. Never have anyone there to show me tho. I wanna try again. Just need to get 2” pipe and go to my friends machine shop and bevel them on the lathe. Thanks for the nice words btw
    Generally you need to be a journeyman and then you can test for your pressure ticket(s) for doing pipe welding. Each process has it's own test(s). You have to do the stick test first before you can qualify for Tig. Initial test is on 6" sch. 80 pipe in 6G with 1/4 done in 3G. No matter how good you can weld, you can't just walk into pipe welding. Know a guy who's dad owned a specialty welding shop. 95% of the work was Tig. When he took his apprenticeship his Tig welds were better than the instructors so they asked him to help others who were having problems. He was pizzed because the highest mark they give for Tig is 75% because Tig is introductory. His Tig welds were flawless. After he got his journeyman ticket, he couldn't get his Tig pressure tickets until he had his stick pressure ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    the last d1.1 i took there were scrap pieces already in the booth but i always carried some just to fine tune the machine and warm up my welding arm.
    Another poster claimed professional welders would be laughed at for asking for some scrap to set their heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but I have 7 MIG welders in the shop and they all set a little different on the flux core.. 3 Airco 300 amp, 450 amp Miller, 500 amp Miller, 300 amp Pow Con and 300 amp Thermal Dynamics.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry it didn't work out Moto but keep trying!
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Was the non-invitation for employment solely based on the weld? Perhaps, he was encouraging you to ask for help as needed. That might have been an important part of test. Don't think you can go wrong asking question. Good luck

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist