+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking dual shield .052 uphill test tomorrow, looking for tips

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taking dual shield .052 uphill test tomorrow, looking for tips

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    It does matter what advice you give Moto...

He will walk in there and ignore everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    This entire conversation has been done before. It's deja vu all over again.
    and that is the type of elitist crap I can't stand, so it comes easily to you, the bloke is asking questions to try and better himself even if he might not get it straight away, and going from the pics he posted he didn't do to bad for the first time running it, and he seems to have a pretty good attitude to not get his back up with A holes as well.

to put it bluntly, If I were on the job with the two of you and Moto and the three of you needed help with something, Moto would have it without question even if it meant some work on my end to get him up to speed, the two of you would be told to go pound sand and figure it out for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    and that is the type of elitist crap I can't stand.
    Just going by his past actions. simple as that.

Ive told the kid many times he is a good welder.... But the fact is, he loves to argue. You may not see it in this particular thread..... But that has usually been the case.

curse of the young, I reckon...
    The same for quitting your job before you have another one lined up..... Especially with 2 young children to support.

But you and I are just keyboard warriors.

“Que será, será ..........
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    and that is the type of elitist crap I can't stand, so it comes easily to you, the bloke is asking questions to try and better himself even if he might not get it straight away, and going from the pics he posted he didn't do to bad for the first time running it, and he seems to have a pretty good attitude to not get his back up with A holes as well.

to put it bluntly, If I were on the job with the two of you and Moto and the three of you needed help with something, Moto would have it without question even if it meant some work on my end to get him up to speed, the two of you would be told to go pound sand and figure it out for yourself.
    You don't get it. The dude comes on, asks for advice, then sets out to prove those who give him the advice wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were testing for me and you didn't either look around and find some scrap on your own or ask me for something and you busted that's on you. My world is make or break weld test everywhere and I always find something to check my heat and rig. Btw dual shield is very forgiving. Here's a pic of my first 6g tig root/hot .045 dual shield out.

Post Thanks / Like

It sucks you didn’t get the job. Kudos to you for trying.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

6. Likes motolife313, Lis2323, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking dual shield .052 uphill test tomorrow, looking for tips

In hindsight there’s a ton of stuff I shoulda done or done different in my life. moto will nail it next time or the time after....
    :

8. Likes tapwelder, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally got a few pics uploaded. Dual shield is pretty forgiving as already mentioned. I always set my volts and adjust the wire accordingly. This was a tig root and hot pass dual shield from there.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Couple pics of the tig root/hot pass.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going back today to test. Been running about 100’ of dual shield lately a day and hope I can pass this test this time. Still haven’t ran much uphill but that’s ok. I’ll probably just turn down the heat a touch on the uphill or just the wire. Haven’t been taking pics lately because my phone is so full. My boss has complimented me a time or 2 over the last couple weeks which is a rare thing to do for him. Tested last week on 1/16 dual shield wire and like said in this thread by a member the wire was much slower. 180 I think. I was running 300 on .045 wire. I think there running 1/16 wire here also. Going to practice on some test pieces first. When running the welders at my last place I had to leave a week ago I ran the welders the same setting in all positions. We welded over head 76% of the time and I never adjusted the machine. learned to keep a tight arc doing overhead and once getting used to it, it was about the same as doing a flat welding in the 1f position. Only ran downhill tho and not up. Even if I ugly the uphill up a touch on the test I’m hoping they will work with me and train me, then I can pick it up fast if they do so. Waiting for a tig Aluminum welding place to call me back today also. Today Was the last day there taking interviews. This place doing the core wire is right on the river doing big jobs and is not production work. Welding 3/4” metal here on the test so any setting on 1/16 wire running uphill would be appreciated. I’ll start on there setting then try the 1/16 wire settings at a place I tested last week and passed. They were running 180 wire and 28 volts. Wire seemed low tho. If I remember right when I took this test a while ago they were running 256 wire and 25 volts maybe. Going in at 10 and going to have breakfast in my leather welding jacket. That’s my new superstition since it got me the job last time

14. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  F1D23A12-6EBE-41D8-8635-07D3A23A8455.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  98.4 KBName:  617C6E6B-34B3-46FF-AC2A-4E7C73EEB885.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  56.0 KBName:  B213C1CC-16C4-4C93-BEF6-BE1FAB8515B1.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  37.2 KBsome work over the last couple monthsName:  35DDE999-3990-469F-94E5-1ACCC8E14307.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  102.9 KB
    Last edited by motolife313; 05-20-2021 at 11:26 AM.

16. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't plan on lathe beveled pipe on a jobsite, I've only known 1 fitter that whined for machined bevels & I finally shut him down, he ALWAYS seemed to show up when all the lathes were tied up and expect us to tear down while on a job so we could bevel his freakin pipe. The last time he did I explained what a pain in the A$$ it was. EVRERY OTHER FITTER I'VE SEEN OR WORKED WITH USED HAND GROUND BEVELS, & I've done plenty of grinding bevels by hand when I was a fitter helper.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

18. Likes 12V71, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used dual shield (E71T-1 w/CO2 0.52") wire for almost 30 years.
    It is great wire easy to use.
    It does need stick out from contact tip to work right (see chart below.. ).

Wish the best
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Never ran dual shield. It’s a uphill test and that’s about all I know. For a company welding bridges and I got a 9:00 am test tomorrow that I need to ace! Seen Jody on welding tips and tricks run 23 volts and 260 wire with .045 but will those settings be close for .052? He was welding 1/4 in the video. And kept the torch straight on at the metal. Not aimed up at all, is that normal? Or little aimed up ok? I never really ran uphill on mig so I’m little worried. Machine was always to hot to do so typically
    Last edited by smithdoor; 05-20-2021 at 07:48 PM.

20. Likes motolife313 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have been running little too much wire for the uphill root. Did have a read out in ipm. It was a miller wire feeder with 0-750 read out. I think it was a touch over the 2 mark. I was running about 25-26 volts on 1/2” plate. Didn’t Pass the uphill again but the horizontal welds looked really good. I was pretty much using the same settings for uphill. The bead had to be small or it wanted to fall. Probably shoulda tried lowering the volts and wire more so I could dwell a little longer going uphill. Maybe he will call me lol

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  F1D23A12-6EBE-41D8-8635-07D3A23A8455.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  98.4 KBName:  617C6E6B-34B3-46FF-AC2A-4E7C73EEB885.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  56.0 KBName:  B213C1CC-16C4-4C93-BEF6-BE1FAB8515B1.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  37.2 KBsome work over the last couple monthsName:  35DDE999-3990-469F-94E5-1ACCC8E14307.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  102.9 KB
    If this is the work you been doin lately I see no reason you wouldnt pass this test...maybe you are just a bundle of nerves needs to calm down. That work you doin here looks good

23. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How did test come out.

Dave

Never ran dual shield. It’s a uphill test and that’s about all I know. For a company welding bridges and I got a 9:00 am test tomorrow that I need to ace! Seen Jody on welding tips and tricks run 23 volts and 260 wire with .045 but will those settings be close for .052? He was welding 1/4 in the video. And kept the torch straight on at the metal. Not aimed up at all, is that normal? Or little aimed up ok? I never really ran uphill on mig so I’m little worried. Machine was always to hot to do so typically
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

it was all good but the uphill part. I’ve only ran uphill like 3 times on mig. The first time trying to get this job about 6 months ago and at another weld test the other day practing, the test was 3g horizontal and I passed the test but hours didn’t work. And doing this test again today so not much mig uphill practice, I did some stick uphill and noticed the root pass was little tricky going uphill, got a stick welder at home I like to play with. So still looking. I do other side work for now and will start doing some metal art in the next couple days for fun and going to be out looking still

Post Thanks / Like

Are you still working building dump boxes? That looks like a good job working with new material.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you quit another job Moto?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not working there for now. I got too much going on right now. I think they will rehire me soon

29. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not working there for now. I got too much going on right now.
    Enigmatic.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

31. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look for next job.
    There is a shortage of good welders today .

Dave

I’m not working there for now. I got too much going on right now. I think they will rehire me soon

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=smithdoor;8814459]I would look for next job.
    There is a shortage of good welders today

there's a shortage of workers in all vocational jobs. Lil twirps are afraid of getting their wittle hands dirty.

Post Thanks / Like

bad gateway fix

Post Thanks / Like

Did you quit or get laid off? That looked like a darn good place to work and they were helping you out. Don't sacrifice a good job because you have other stuff going on. Nobody on here went right to the top and had the best jobs early in their careers. Some 1st year apprentices spend most of their time grinding. You had an actual welding job. Don't dismiss that. If you quit they might be worried you'd quit again and hire someone else. If you were disagreeing with them or figured you disserved a raise or something, GET OVER IT. You can burn decent flux-core but aren't in the same league as say Ttoks on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Just looking for up hill settings on here. I’ll keep practicing with stick

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist