Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Howdy guys, been a while since I stopped by. I've sent a few folks over this way though. As the title states, I just picked up a SA250 D3 152, code 9599 from the scrapper for $400. It appears to be 99% complete. I have a few pieces of sheetmetal not pictured, and a part of the rotor that was removed which is also not pictured. I will get pics of the other pieces and add them in a little bit. It looks like the brushes have been pulled out of the holders, so I'm guessing they were trying to troubleshoot. Can I tie the brushes back out of the way and see about getting the engine running, or do these require output on the welding alternator to start/run? Anything I should check or look for before trying to spin it over by hand? I did check the oil, no coolant or water contamination. The radiator didn't appear to have much coolant in it. Haven't checked the fuel tank or filter yet.

    Here's the pics I have. https://imgur.com/gallery/7tkiolb I'll go lay out the sheetmetal and the rotor piece, snap pics, and add those to the gallery. TIA for any help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    New gallery link. https://imgur.com/gallery/LztmwEW


    Found a couple of wires that had been cut/severed. Also looks like the wires to the oil pressure sending unit need at least a section replaced. Radiator is indeed full of clean coolant. Tank is full of old diesel. I'm going to drain the oil and fuel. Nothing in IM407 is telling me what weight of oil to use. Nothing about the air filter either. I know this is a perkins engine, but no idea where to look on the casting for ID. Just found info on where to look for the serial number, so maybe I can find a manual. The coarse current rheostat is stuck, so I'm going to have to pull the hood for a good look at it.
    Last edited by machinisttx; 08-29-2020 at 04:16 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Got the cut/severed wires and the ones with missing insulation replaced or spliced. Fixed the coarse rheostat. Turned out that the spring was bent/misaligned. Replaced the fuel return line and siphoned ten gallons of stinky old red diesel out. Still another 3 gallons or so in the tank. Was going to pull the tank, until I realized it was banded like a pallet. I'd still pull it, but we don't use steel banding at work, so I can't put it back on the same way. Going to have to replace the sediment bowl/fuel valve....tried cleaning it out. Can't get it to flow more than a tiny trickle, then it plugs back up with gummy crap. It was terrible when I first took it apart. Finally found the serial number on the block, this one's a 1993. Figured it used 15w-40, found info to confirm. Convenient for me since I buy Rotella by the 5 gallon pail. Found oil/fuel filter numbers. It has the wrong oil filter on it. Planning on picking that stuff up and a new fan belt tomorrow after work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,600
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Perkins AD3-152 is one of the best engines ever made and sips fuel. I have one in an MF135 tractor. Biggest problem on SA250's was they vibrated a bit much at idle. 15W-40 would be a good oil to use.

  5. Likes machinisttx liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Perkins AD3-152 is one of the best engines ever made and sips fuel. I have one in an MF135 tractor. Biggest problem on SA250's was they vibrated a bit much at idle. 15W-40 would be a good oil to use.
    Got the oil/fuel filters, fan belt, and a new 120v duplex outlet today. Going to replace all the breakers too. Found that one of them was broken, figure the others won't be far behind.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    Here's the pics I have.
    Can you post pictures directly here? I can't see the pictures on the links you provided - the site requires registering, of which I am not going to do. I presume there are a lot of others in the same boat.

    As to the project - it sounds really cool. It might be a ton of work, but the end result will be worth it. I suppose it depends on how deep of a restoration you want to do - just a "fix up and get running" or "restoration". They are two different things.

    Best of luck with it!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,031
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
    Can you post pictures directly here? I can't see the pictures on the links you provided - the site requires registering, of which I am not going to do. I presume there are a lot of others in the same boat.
    This ^
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Sorry guys, I didn't realize imgur required you to register just to view. I just uploaded them here to weldingweb. Maybe this will work? https://weldingweb.com/vbb/album.php?albumid=5016

    Picked up new breakers a little while ago, along with some hardware and a new flapper for the exhaust. I never thought I would be disappointed by rain in September here in TX, but at least it held off long enough for us to get our dove hunt on this morning.
    Last edited by machinisttx; 09-01-2020 at 03:17 PM.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Quote Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
    Sorry guys, I didn't realize imgur required you to register just to view. I just uploaded them here to weldingweb. Maybe this will work? https://weldingweb.com/vbb/album.php?albumid=5016

    Picked up new breakers a little while ago, along with some hardware and a new flapper for the exhaust. I never thought I would be disappointed by rain in September here in TX, but at least it held off long enough for us to get our dove hunt on this morning.
    Thanks for the pictures. You can load them directly to the thread also. They don't have to be in an "album". To each their own. What I like about the in-thread pictures is you can describe them in the thread right along side the pictures. That and people replying can comment on the individual pictures by quoting them. So that adds some consistency to the conversation, I think.

    In any event, that machine looks like a lot of work. Pace yourself and tackle it in segments. Don't expect to throw in some new parts and have it work in a week. Enjoy the journey, don't get impatient for the destination and end up resenting the journey. Likewise, if something is going to need time to do it "right" - now is the time to do it "right". You hopefully won't ever have things torn apart or ground down to bare metal again in the future, so while you're there you should make sure things are done "right" (what ever you determine is "right" - either by your own judgement based on what you know or research, or what guidance you're offered here on the forum or elsewhere). Some times "just getting it running" isn't good enough. Making it "right" and making it "run" are two different things.

    Its kinda like a beater pickup truck. Do you want to get it running long enough to make it to the junk yard under its own power? Or do you want it to run well enough you can use it on the farm to haul stuff between fields the rest of the season and next several seasons?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. You can load them directly to the thread also. They don't have to be in an "album". To each their own. What I like about the in-thread pictures is you can describe them in the thread right along side the pictures. That and people replying can comment on the individual pictures by quoting them. So that adds some consistency to the conversation, I think.

    In any event, that machine looks like a lot of work. Pace yourself and tackle it in segments. Don't expect to throw in some new parts and have it work in a week. Enjoy the journey, don't get impatient for the destination and end up resenting the journey. Likewise, if something is going to need time to do it "right" - now is the time to do it "right". You hopefully won't ever have things torn apart or ground down to bare metal again in the future, so while you're there you should make sure things are done "right" (what ever you determine is "right" - either by your own judgement based on what you know or research, or what guidance you're offered here on the forum or elsewhere). Some times "just getting it running" isn't good enough. Making it "right" and making it "run" are two different things.

    Its kinda like a beater pickup truck. Do you want to get it running long enough to make it to the junk yard under its own power? Or do you want it to run well enough you can use it on the farm to haul stuff between fields the rest of the season and next several seasons?
    I'm trying to do it right. I've already fixed the bad wiring I found. Battery was dead in my DMM, and I didn't have my VOM, so I couldn't start checking electrical parts. If it isn't raining this afternoon I will be back to swapping new parts on and testing stuff this afternoon. Only real worry right now is that the field shunt coils might be shorted, based on everything that was disconnected. Hope that isn't the case.

  12. Likes FlyFishn liked this post
  13. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,031
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Happy birthday daddy. Fwt ready to est this cake like you eat ??? Wow!
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just saved a SA-250 D3 152 from the scrapyard, need some help with it

    Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Happy birthday daddy. Fwt ready to est this cake like you eat ??? Wow!
    Name:  db4bxu4-9acd190e-21c1-4624-9bad-4dd63f0e3fda.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  51.2 KB


    We got a little break(I thought) from the rain, so I went out to start swapping on new parts. Got the new breakers in, new fan belt on, and the exhaust flapper on. Then it went from a light sprinkle to a pretty steady slow rain....lightning included. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I'm still not gonna play with a big heavy chunk of steel/iron/copper out in the rain and lightning. Maybe it will slack off again and I can get the rest of the fuel drained/tank cleaned out/sediment bowl replaced/fuel filter replaced/oil changed and the other miscellaneous things done.
    Last edited by machinisttx; 09-01-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,603,140,549.34537 seconds with 13 queries