+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lifting cars with pinch welds

Post Thanks / Like

Lifting cars with pinch welds

A lot of cars you can only lift by the pinch welds in a designated spot which is usually reinforced a bit, which leaves no where to place the jack stand because the floor jack is right where you need to place the jack stand. There are different solutions offered one of which is the pricey Rennjack. I had a thought and tell me if I am crazy for even thinking about making something like this. My thought is to take a heavy gauge length of square or rectangular tubing the length of the rocker panel, then manufacture an "H" shaped piece (2 total) that would hold a pinch weld pad on the top of the tubing and the bottom of the H would saddle the tubing and slide along it's length where it could be drilled and pinned or bolted into the tubing to match up to the lifting points front and rear of a particular vehicle. Of course the top of the "H" would be very short, just enough to hold the pinch weld pad and keep it from slipping out the side. One could also forgo the pad and just make a steel pad with a slot. Then one could simply lift one whole side of the car by jacking the center of the tubing and place jack stands under the tubing, quick and easy. A piece of material shaped to fit the jack stand saddle could be welded to the underside of the tubing, or just a few short pieces leaving the center part flat for the floor jack. (Solid pieces of lumber could also be used) Just to be clear I am talking about small cars weighing under 5K. What do you think? Doable or just plain crazy?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lifting cars with pinch welds

Sounds doable, but I'd guess you would need multiple versions as each car will be different.

But I have yet to see a car that did not have additional jack points. My Honda can be jacked at front center on the frame and rear center on the tie-down hook, per manual. Then I support on the pinch welds with stands. My wife's BMW has a front center subframe jack point and the rear center box around the pumpkin. Same punch weld support points.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to think about crap like that, then I got my first two post lift, haven’t thought about it for decades.

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about jacking rails like they make for mustangs, I bought a set for mine but I would think you could make some for just about any car.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-m...-555-5205.html

CR

Post Thanks / Like

I've never actually worked on a car that I couldn't use a standard floor jack on?

The front is always the easy one, occasionally the rear is a little tougher to find a spot.

Plus, the Minnesota rust often ruins the pinch weld area.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I've never actually worked on a car that I couldn't use a standard floor jack on?

The front is always the easy one, occasionally the rear is a little tougher to find a spot.

Plus, the Minnesota rust often ruins the pinch weld area.
    No doubt, after a few years the entire rocker panel area is gone

9. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My MK7 TDI can only be jacked up in the front at the pinch welds, VW does not recommend placing a jack on the sub frame. There are no inboard jack pads from the factory but the pads and modified undercarriage covers can be bought for about $200 but they are still a problem because they are directly inboard of the jacking point by a few inches and the only way to fit a stand in there is to jack the front high enough to be able to swing the floor jack around and partially under the front wheel. The pad kit is really intended for post type lifts. Before I spend $200 for this less than ideal solution that only fits one car I am looking for options that will be useable on more than just one car. The rear is not an issue as I can lift it easily by the axle. Rust is not a concern here.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

How about welding up some version of this?

Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that and it is definitely on the table.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist