Thread: Budget Plasma cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Budget Plasma cutter

Hello, new the group. I am looking for a mid range plasma cutter. I am looking for something that will clean cut 1/2" . We use hypertherms at work but they are out of my price range. Looking to make a few extra bucks doing repair work and some fabrication in my shop. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Budget Plasma cutter

Welcome to the forum.
    A Chinese plasma importer but they may more along your line of which you may be wanting to pay. Just a warning, you pays your money and take your chances!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lotos 5000 and have not pushed it to that range... so no recommendations from me... but oxy fuel would do that mo problem

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

What's your actual budget?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Primeweld cut50d. 278$ and it works great so far. 3 year warranty, idk about the half inch cut capacity though, supposedly it will do it but I doubt it'd be very clean .

Post Thanks / Like

35 amps will cut 1/2 inch but not very fast. It would be hard to keep the torch steady for a almost clean cut. You best bet would be a 60 amp plasma. If you can find several units to perform some test cuts on and see if the speed and cut quality are what you want. Call all the welding supply stores near you and find out if they have any demo units or can have a rep stop by with a demo unit. If it wasn't for covid 19 you could look for any car shows or trade, maintenance shows where welders are displayed and demonstrated. In California the Tulare Farm show is a great place to play with the welders and plasmas. Just take a piece of the 1/2 metal you want to cut with you.

7. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to stay around $800 of lower,

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the Lotos LTP5000D over two years ago.50 amp and works great.Got it from Home Depot with a one year warranty. I took a lot of crap from a few members of this site however I am very satisfied with the purchase.Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the Jasic razor cut 45. I would spend the extra 100$ and get the hypertherm style torch vs the standard as consumable life is better and you don't need to use a standoff. 1/2" gives a real clean cut but a little slow. I have severed 3/4" with it as well. 3 year warranty on the unit

Post Thanks / Like

what do you plan on cutting? Do you plan on doing more cutting or gouging (e.g., weld removal, grooving, etc.)? What other cutting tools do you already have?
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Everlast 52I around the holidays (free shipping) and it works great. It has a connection and connector for CNC in case you want to hook it to a plasma table. I had a smaller plasma cutter and wanted to upgrade. I'm a hobbyist and not a manufacture. Very happy with the purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INXS2 View Post
    I bought a Everlast 52I around the holidays (free shipping) and it works great. It has a connection and connector for CNC in case you want to hook it to a plasma table. I had a smaller plasma cutter and wanted to upgrade. I'm a hobbyist and not a manufacture. Very happy with the purchase.
    Can it cut 1/2” clean per op’s desires
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...3064_200833064

There is a 60 amp model in reman.. The little Klutch power supplies are really good overall.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Can it cut 1/2 clean per ops desires
    Yes it can. Maximum quality is 3/4" and maximum severance is 1" (haven't tried it yet). As I was testing it out I cut 3/8" and my work bench (wasn't watching where I was cutting)! Like I said, I'm a hobbyist and I don't use it everyday. My last plasma cutter. 40 amp, sat for 3 years before I got this one. This one will probably sit that long too, but its there if I need it! I got it for the power and I might consider making a CNC plasma table.

16. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, ended up going with the primeweld cut60, a guy at work has one is is able to cut up to 3/4. He is pretty happy with it, at the time he has it hooked up to a cnc table. Couldn't pass up the 3 year warranty. Paid $640. Hope I made the right choice!

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal and good luck with it! I hope you get many satisfied years of using it!