+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just an old retired steel fabricator

Post Thanks / Like

Just an old retired steel fabricator

Hi, Been retired now for 10 years. Spent just over 43 years in steel fabrication. Done a fair amount of weld projects at home, and in the plant in those years. Still doing a little here ,and there. Thought I would join the forum ,and learn a little about equipment , never too late to learn.
    Last edited by weldaholic; 09-02-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just an old retired steel fabricator

Welcome to group.
    What part of world is your shop.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by weldaholic View Post
    Hi, Been retired now for 10 years. Spent just over 43 years in steel fabrication. Done a fair amount of weld projects at home, and in the plant in those years. Still doing a little here ,and there. Thought I would join the forum ,and learn a little about equipment , never too late to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Welcome to group.
    What part of world is your shop.

Dave
    Its in Utah. Unfortunately they shut our plant operations down about 4 years ago now. They have a small crew ,and now all they do is ship the product , built at our other plants out of state. Ship it in, and ship it out. We built mostly highway safety products. Bridge railing , roll form highway guardrail, all the safety end treatments on the guardrail, bride rail etc. Depending where you live you have probably driven past miles of our guardrail. About a year before retirement we did literally hundreds of thousands of solar posts. They looked very similar to a guardrail post, they pounded in the ground to mount solar panels too. If you have driven south of Las Vegas ,you will see acres of those solar panels we supplied the posts for .

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

5. Likes weldaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to WW. Get in here, get your feet wet and post some shocking images of your creations
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Welcome to WW. Get in here, get your feet wet and post some shocking images of your creations
    In the process of building a couple pontoon carriers for me ,and one of my sons.They will enable us to haul our inflatable one man pontoons boats in a hitch receiver. Mine will be in the rear of my fifth wheel, his the rear of a travel trailer or his truck if wanted. The carrier folds down to put the pontoon in, and then back up vertical, and pinned. When we go with the fifth wheel, I had to disassemble the boat ,and store it in the fifth wheel, took up a lot of room plus having to assemble disassemble was a pain . Got the idea from a guy up in Montana this summer that built one ,hauls his in the back of a truck ,and camper. So I can't take credit for it, although I am changing things a bit

8. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At less you can retire.
    It sad that all talent is going.

I am retired too and very happy see what is happening in world.

I sold my business lock stock and barrel back 2004.
    My old line work will not come back for years.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by weldaholic View Post
    Its in Utah. Unfortunately they shut our plant operations down about 4 years ago now. They have a small crew ,and now all they do is ship the product , built at our other plants out of state. Ship it in, and ship it out. We built mostly highway safety products. Bridge railing , roll form highway guardrail, all the safety end treatments on the guardrail, bride rail etc. Depending where you live you have probably driven past miles of our guardrail. About a year before retirement we did literally hundreds of thousands of solar posts. They looked very similar to a guardrail post, they pounded in the ground to mount solar panels too. If you have driven south of Las Vegas ,you will see acres of those solar panels we supplied the posts for .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist