Thread: Cylinder question

Post Thanks / Like

Cylinder question

So I bought 2 oxygen cylinders and the company name around the top is a welding supply in Atlanta. I am in Birmingham, Alabama. Will air gas still swap these out?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cylinder question

Go to air gas and find out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a problem swapping cylinders at my Air Gas. I occasionally get cylinders from Southern Welding if I need to because they are open on the weekend and have then swapped them at Airgas and vice versa never had an issue.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to ask them. No two Airgas stores seem to have the same policy.

A while back I bought a welder and got a 330 bottle of trimix with it that was nearly empty...it had an Airgas label on it. I called them to ask if it would be possible to swap it for straight Argon. They said there was no such thing as a 330 owner bottle and they couldn't swap one because "the computer won't even let us do it" or something along those lines. I called a different Airgas and asked the same question. They said it could be done, but since I wasn't the original owner, and the bottle was out of date I'd have to pay for a test...seemed fairly reasonable.

At that point I decided to see if the LWS I normally deal with would swap it rather than deal with Airgas. My LWS was a little worried because it only had a 5 year test the last time, so they sent it out, it came back as a 10yr test. They filled it and it wound up costing me $100 for the test, new valve and a fill....and they'll swap it going forward rather than sending it out.

I've read similar stories about Airgas in the past...they simply aren't consistent from store to store with their policies even within the same state or metro area.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 252 W/Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Air Gas can really suck ! They bought out my guy that was one mile away from them. Sure ,they would exchange my tanks but their price was crazy high.
    Every supplier is different . Another local will only exchange tanks bought from them.
    My current guy is about 30 miles away and worth the drive for the savings. I'll exchange a bunch to make it worthwhile and he does my 300 oxygen too.The others are 125 and 150 size.
    Ask what the cost is to recertify if tank is outdated. My guy was $25 while air gas was $50.