Thread: How can I fix this bench?

Post Thanks / Like

How can I fix this bench?

We have this old bench that is full of rust but 1 part has rusts that ate away the metal. I did buy a piece of aluminum rod (3/4") which is the perfect size for the replacement. I am now wondering how do I go about doing this? I am new to welding and currently own a MIG 130 amp unit. Any suggestion would be awesome!

Name:  20200902_141356.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  20200902_141323.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  77.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can I fix this bench?

Well.... you won't be able to weld the aluminum to the steel bench frame as they are dissimilar metals.

I would keep it simple and get a piece of steel tubing like whats already there.. looks like there are two welds on each end of the existing design... unfortunately they left the ends open so water could run in an rust things up... when you reweld you 'could' weld completely around the joint.... but the thickness of the existing vertical tubing may pose problems to a less experienced weldor by blowing through the metal!!

So what I would recommend doing as the easiest fix for a less experienced weldor would be to cut the existing rusty steel out of there at the green line... thereby leaving a thicker 'weldfilled' area for you to weld up to.

Name:  banch-rust1.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  80.7 KB

3. Likes !sledhead! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How can I fix this bench?

Cut the old piece out and go buy an 8 foot section of similar material.

Then practice spot welding.
    Until you feel comfortable.
    (if not you will surely blow through it)

Also do what ronsii said
    Leave those existing welds for a little extra meat to zap onto.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on OD of horizontal , schedule 40 standard black pipe maybe better for you then tube with a thinner wall.
    Once old is removed you could holesaw uprights so horizontal pipe will slide inside. Cut it long enough so it will fit inside each upright.
    This will make welding much easier and you don't have to worry about holding it to tack.
    Make sure it's square to uprights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes ronsii, weldaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Depending on OD of horizontal , schedule 40 standard black pipe maybe better for you then tube with a thinner wall.
    Once old is removed you could holesaw uprights so horizontal pipe will slide inside. Cut it long enough so it will fit inside each upright.
    This will make welding much easier and you don't have to worry about holding it to tack.
    Make sure it's square to uprights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I thought about the holesaw idea also as a way for him to use his aluminum tubing but I have seem some of the import benches and they are really really think tubing in the first place!! so didn't want to weaken the verticals...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Yeah, I thought about the holesaw idea also as a way for him to use his aluminum tubing but I have seem some of the import benches and they are really really think tubing in the first place!! so didn't want to weaken the verticals...
    You could bevel that sch 40, and get it tight against the far side of that vertical, and will support the upright from giving. To me thats your best option. More or less like a gusset . Anyway thats how I am visualizing it. The upright can't collapse if its got that sch 40 to collapse first.

Post Thanks / Like

Cut it out. Leave it out. Weld the top to the leg, if necessary.

10. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies! Appreciate it very much!