Thread: Got myself a project this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Got myself a project this weekend

Well I gotta tell ya, the the gods of steel and welding have smiled on me for a very long time, I hope their cousins and brothers the gods of wrenches and motors do likewise. Im putting a new injector pump, injectors and return lines on my girlfreind this weekend. Itys been a long time since i had to mess around and pretend to be a mechanic, I used to tear **** apart and fix it when i worked out in the strippins as their employee years ago, I was called a welder/mechanic, before i went to work on my own. I did dozers haultrucks loaders and whatever else. I remember most of it. Hopefully this goes well, I got what Joe calls heat soak problems in the pump, figured I may as well do the whole works and be done with it, all I gotta do is find a 12 pt, 8mm or 5/16 socket, thought i had one but of course I dont...road trip to the hardware stores and auto parts stores. I see lots of coffee and tobacca in my future this weekend

2. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got myself a project this weekend

Had to do the VP44 pump on my 99 Dodge a couple of years back. Real genius engineers putting the computer control right on top of the pump subject to all the heat and vibration. Had to buy a special tool to get the pump out but other than that the whole job wasn't bad except for the #6 injector clear in the back.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Well I gotta tell ya, the the gods of steel and welding have smiled on me for a very long time, I hope their cousins and brothers the gods of wrenches and motors do likewise. Im putting a new injector pump, injectors and return lines on my girlfreind this weekend. Itys been a long time since i had to mess around and pretend to be a mechanic, I used to tear **** apart and fix it when i worked out in the strippins as their employee years ago, I was called a welder/mechanic, before i went to work on my own. I did dozers haultrucks loaders and whatever else. I remember most of it. Hopefully this goes well, I got what Joe calls heat soak problems in the pump, figured I may as well do the whole works and be done with it, all I gotta do is find a 12 pt, 8mm or 5/16 socket, thought i had one but of course I dont...road trip to the hardware stores and auto parts stores. I see lots of coffee and tobacca in my future this weekend
    Hey POP, I have the socke you need, I wrenched so long that there isn't much I don't have, I'd loan it to ya, but I got a sign on my toolbox that says, " I MAKE MY LIVING WITH SNAP-ON TOOLS SO DON'T ASK TO BORROW THEM", That statement is largely true with a few exceptions. Personally the only SNAP-ON tools I bought were specialty stuff I couldn't get anywhere else. My original set from CRAFTSMAN served me very well through my years.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Hey POP, I have the socke you need, I wrenched so long that there isn't much I don't have, I'd loan it to ya, but I got a sign on my toolbox that says, " I MAKE MY LIVING WITH SNAP-ON TOOLS SO DON'T ASK TO BORROW THEM", That statement is largely true with a few exceptions. Personally the only SNAP-ON tools I bought were specialty stuff I couldn't get anywhere else. My original set from CRAFTSMAN served me very well through my years.
    i found the socket i needed in a can of sockets my Mom gave me when my Dad died. I got 3 or 4 socket sets and not a one of them had a socket like that metric or standard. Seems like years ago i f i remember right all you could find was 12 point sockets too, because it seemed like i was always lookin for 6 point ones for to use on the machinery, I dont really remember, but i found it and its back together now

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    i found the socket i needed in a can of sockets my Mom gave me when my Dad died. I got 3 or 4 socket sets and not a one of them had a socket like that metric or standard. Seems like years ago i f i remember right all you could find was 12 point sockets too, because it seemed like i was always lookin for 6 point ones for to use on the machinery, I dont really remember, but i found it and its back together now
    There was a time that 12 points were the "thing", that's what my tool set came with, I added 6 pointers in sets up to about 1", then got to a point that I needed 1 1/8" in a 6pt & couldn't find them ANYWHERE! I also had 3/8 DRIVE 6 PT MID LENGTH in TD & METRIC, they got discontinued too I lost the 10mm somewhere and cant replace it! That's the thing I hated about wrenching, every time you turn around there's a new type of head configuration, TORX, INVERTED TORX, BUNGA i SAY!!!!!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

9. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    There was a time that 12 points were the "thing", that's what my tool set came with, I added 6 pointers in sets up to about 1", then got to a point that I needed 1 1/8" in a 6pt & couldn't find them ANYWHERE! I also had 3/8 DRIVE 6 PT MID LENGTH in TD & METRIC, they got discontinued too I lost the 10mm somewhere and cant replace it! That's the thing I hated about wrenching, every time you turn around there's a new type of head configuration, TORX, INVERTED TORX, BUNGA i SAY!!!!!
    LOL!!!! you forgot 5 point... yes I have a few of them.. don't use em' much but when you need them you need them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    LOL!!!! you forgot 5 point... yes I have a few of them.. don't use em' much but when you need them you need them!
    And 8 point and all the different security bits and on and on and on for eternity! LOL
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 09-12-2020 at 11:44 PM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

12. Likes ronsii liked this post