+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got myself a project this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Got myself a project this weekend

Well I gotta tell ya, the the gods of steel and welding have smiled on me for a very long time, I hope their cousins and brothers the gods of wrenches and motors do likewise. Im putting a new injector pump, injectors and return lines on my girlfreind this weekend. Itys been a long time since i had to mess around and pretend to be a mechanic, I used to tear **** apart and fix it when i worked out in the strippins as their employee years ago, I was called a welder/mechanic, before i went to work on my own. I did dozers haultrucks loaders and whatever else. I remember most of it. Hopefully this goes well, I got what Joe calls heat soak problems in the pump, figured I may as well do the whole works and be done with it, all I gotta do is find a 12 pt, 8mm or 5/16 socket, thought i had one but of course I dont...road trip to the hardware stores and auto parts stores. I see lots of coffee and tobacca in my future this weekend

2. Likes 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got myself a project this weekend

Had to do the VP44 pump on my 99 Dodge a couple of years back. Real genius engineers putting the computer control right on top of the pump subject to all the heat and vibration. Had to buy a special tool to get the pump out but other than that the whole job wasn't bad except for the #6 injector clear in the back.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    Well I gotta tell ya, the the gods of steel and welding have smiled on me for a very long time, I hope their cousins and brothers the gods of wrenches and motors do likewise. Im putting a new injector pump, injectors and return lines on my girlfreind this weekend. Itys been a long time since i had to mess around and pretend to be a mechanic, I used to tear **** apart and fix it when i worked out in the strippins as their employee years ago, I was called a welder/mechanic, before i went to work on my own. I did dozers haultrucks loaders and whatever else. I remember most of it. Hopefully this goes well, I got what Joe calls heat soak problems in the pump, figured I may as well do the whole works and be done with it, all I gotta do is find a 12 pt, 8mm or 5/16 socket, thought i had one but of course I dont...road trip to the hardware stores and auto parts stores. I see lots of coffee and tobacca in my future this weekend
    Hey POP, I have the socke you need, I wrenched so long that there isn't much I don't have, I'd loan it to ya, but I got a sign on my toolbox that says, " I MAKE MY LIVING WITH SNAP-ON TOOLS SO DON'T ASK TO BORROW THEM", That statement is largely true with a few exceptions. Personally the only SNAP-ON tools I bought were specialty stuff I couldn't get anywhere else. My original set from CRAFTSMAN served me very well through my years.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Hey POP, I have the socke you need, I wrenched so long that there isn't much I don't have, I'd loan it to ya, but I got a sign on my toolbox that says, " I MAKE MY LIVING WITH SNAP-ON TOOLS SO DON'T ASK TO BORROW THEM", That statement is largely true with a few exceptions. Personally the only SNAP-ON tools I bought were specialty stuff I couldn't get anywhere else. My original set from CRAFTSMAN served me very well through my years.
    i found the socket i needed in a can of sockets my Mom gave me when my Dad died. I got 3 or 4 socket sets and not a one of them had a socket like that metric or standard. Seems like years ago i f i remember right all you could find was 12 point sockets too, because it seemed like i was always lookin for 6 point ones for to use on the machinery, I dont really remember, but i found it and its back together now

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    i found the socket i needed in a can of sockets my Mom gave me when my Dad died. I got 3 or 4 socket sets and not a one of them had a socket like that metric or standard. Seems like years ago i f i remember right all you could find was 12 point sockets too, because it seemed like i was always lookin for 6 point ones for to use on the machinery, I dont really remember, but i found it and its back together now
    There was a time that 12 points were the "thing", that's what my tool set came with, I added 6 pointers in sets up to about 1", then got to a point that I needed 1 1/8" in a 6pt & couldn't find them ANYWHERE! I also had 3/8 DRIVE 6 PT MID LENGTH in TD & METRIC, they got discontinued too I lost the 10mm somewhere and cant replace it! That's the thing I hated about wrenching, every time you turn around there's a new type of head configuration, TORX, INVERTED TORX, BUNGA i SAY!!!!!
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

9. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    There was a time that 12 points were the "thing", that's what my tool set came with, I added 6 pointers in sets up to about 1", then got to a point that I needed 1 1/8" in a 6pt & couldn't find them ANYWHERE! I also had 3/8 DRIVE 6 PT MID LENGTH in TD & METRIC, they got discontinued too I lost the 10mm somewhere and cant replace it! That's the thing I hated about wrenching, every time you turn around there's a new type of head configuration, TORX, INVERTED TORX, BUNGA i SAY!!!!!
    LOL!!!! you forgot 5 point... yes I have a few of them.. don't use em' much but when you need them you need them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    LOL!!!! you forgot 5 point... yes I have a few of them.. don't use em' much but when you need them you need them!
    And 8 point and all the different security bits and on and on and on for eternity! LOL
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 09-12-2020 at 10:44 PM.
    JEFF

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist