Thread: .035 Flux Core Weld Wire

Post Thanks / Like

.035 Flux Core Weld Wire

Got on the internet this morning ,and researched this weld wire .035 flux core. I ran across several brands , Kiswell USA , PGN , Yeswelder , Blue Demon to name a few. All priced about the same, somewhat cheaper then the name brands, Hobart, Lincoln, etc.

My question is am I going to get what I paid for, its not like i'm in production welding here, but if I can save a few bucks I am all for it. Any advice on these brands . I recently purchased a Lincoln Pro 180, and welded with the sample of flux core , its all I need now for welding, so I just need to get a 10 lb. roll or two of some brand coming . Brands mentioned were all on Amazon .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: .035 Flux Core Weld Wire

Quote Originally Posted by weldaholic View Post
    Got on the internet this morning ,and researched this weld wire .035 flux core. I ran across several brands , Kiswell USA , PGN , Yeswelder , Blue Demon to name a few. All priced about the same, somewhat cheaper then the name brands, Hobart, Lincoln, etc.

My question is am I going to get what I paid for, its not like i'm in production welding here, but if I can save a few bucks I am all for it. Any advice on these brands . I recently purchased a Lincoln Pro 180, and welded with the sample of flux core , its all I need now for welding, so I just need to get a 10 lb. roll or two of some brand coming . Brands mentioned were all on Amazon .
    For hobby stuff it won't make too much difference... however the better brands will work better sometimes... depending on exactly what you're doing for smaller stuff I like to stick with 030 wire anything less then 3/8 thick.... and remember there are lots of different types of 'wire' single pass wire will be more forgiving on the cheaper brands.. at least that's my experience

I usually buy the 2 roll packs of 10 pounders on ebay for .030 and .035 comes out to about $28-$33 a roll delivered usps flat rate... depending on what type of wire I'm going for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    For hobby stuff it won't make too much difference... however the better brands will work better sometimes... depending on exactly what you're doing for smaller stuff I like to stick with 030 wire anything less then 3/8 thick.... and remember there are lots of different types of 'wire' single pass wire will be more forgiving on the cheaper brands.. at least that's my experience

I usually buy the 2 roll packs of 10 pounders on ebay for .030 and .035 comes out to about $28-$33 a roll delivered usps flat rate... depending on what type of wire I'm going for.
    Thanks, only tried .035 on some 1/4 plate ,seemed okay. This project will be a mixture of 3/16 plate, and 3/16 wall tubing. Size of the bead ,and speed I was going it did not seem too excessive.

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure you don't buy the wrong flux cored wire.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

5. Likes weldaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And don't forget to pop up some pics... we always love pics!!!! even if it's just so we can laugh at....er... I mean with you at your welds

Post Thanks / Like

And don't forget to pop up some pics... we always love pics!!!! even if it's just so we can laugh at....er... I mean with you at your welds
    I will have to figure out how to post pictures. No rush on this project , don't need them right now. Waiting for it to cool down a bit here, my work shop is in my garage ,and it been pretty hot.

Well just practicing with it ,the welds look pretty good , but its possible I could get beat up a bit

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Just make sure you don't buy the wrong flux cored wire.
    I will stick to the 71, should be okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for clarification... E71T-11 is a 70,000 tensile strength all position multipass wire for carbon steels speced by the AWS.

While E71T-GS can be a lot of things and will vary between brands but should... be UP to 70,000 tensile strength and MIGHT be all position and PROBABLY be singlepass.

All these can vary by manufacturer because it is a General Standard wire. This is why the -GS wires are usually cheaper as they don't have to adhere to the AWS ratings or testing requirements so most -GS wire is coming form china/india these days( the cheaper stuff anyways).

11. Likes 12V71, weldaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for clarification... E71T-11 is a 70,000 tensile strength all position multipass wire for carbon steels speced by the AWS.

While E71T-GS can be a lot of things and will vary between brands but should... be UP to 70,000 tensile strength and MIGHT be all position and PROBABLY be singlepass.

All these can vary by manufacturer because it is a General Standard wire. This is why the -GS wires are usually cheaper as they don't have to adhere to the AWS ratings or testing requirements so most -GS wire is coming form china/india these days( the cheaper stuff anyways).
    For the small gasless wires my preference has always been Lincoln NR-211 or Hobart 21B Fabshield. The no name stuff always seemed sketchy to me. Welded up a friends tubular dune buggy kit with .030 211 and a little Lincoln 125 machine, it's still cruising the dunes with not a single structural issue. The big bore VW engine doesn't seem to fare so well.

13. Likes ronsii, weldaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    For the small gasless wires my preference has always been Lincoln NR-211 or Hobart 21B Fabshield. The no name stuff always seemed sketchy to me. Welded up a friends tubular dune buggy kit with .030 211 and a little Lincoln 125 machine, it's still cruising the dunes with not a single structural issue. The big bore VW engine doesn't seem to fare so well.
    Well said

If I weld anything structural on a vehicle or something critical that could hurt if it failed I always make sure to run the -11 or name brand NR-211 like 12V71 mentions but for most other general repair work I go through a *lot* of the cheaper stuff I laso do random tests once in a while when I'm trying out a new brand(chin) just to see how it compares... and a lot of times they do have a spec. sheet with the noname wire listing the element composition to compare to regular wires.

15. Likes 12V71, weldaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used a number of Blue Demon products without issue....TIG filler, MIG wire, brazing rod, etc. A while back they were much cheaper than many of the alternatives, but that seems to have changed a bit. One of the local welding shops nearby told me that they sell more Blue Demon than anything else...and they're a pretty big shop.

With that said, I use usaweld.com for comparing prices on stuff like wire and filler rods. It looks like their .035" flux core is a couple of bucks more expensive than Blue Demon on Amazon. I trust usaweld to put out good products, so I'd probably spend the few extra bucks to go with them over something I haven't used before.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 252 W/Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I use best price they all have to meet specific as list for wire.

If buy tons of wire it will get very costly.
    Most of welder's want Lincoln wire or rod but they are paying the bill, Just save or get a Lincoln wire box and put the low cost wire in the Lincoln box and have a happy welder.

Dave

Last edited by smithdoor; 09-05-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Yeah, the NR-211 us the better wire IMHO. It's more predictable, and stable. I also use Blue Demon, but it's generally not as pretty when done.

For anything you're gonna do with a small amp welder, the .030 is about the best choice. The little units generally don't have enough nutz to take advantage of the .035 wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Yeah, the NR-211 us the better wire IMHO. It's more predictable, and stable. I also use Blue Demon, but it's generally not as pretty when done.

For anything you're gonna do with a small amp welder, the .030 is about the best choice. The little units generally don't have enough nutz to take advantage of the .035 wire.
    I like Esab Core-shield 15 in .035.. (single pass only) My little 120 volt unit has all the power to run it very well. The Kiswell USA .035 is pretty good, but not as nice as the Esab wire.. You will have a hard time finding a better running wire then the Esab (IMO) .030 does not run as nice as .035 if you have the correct little machine..The little inverter flux-core units handle it with ease. I have the Klutch unit. and my friend has the Little Century FC-90. When using smaller 2 pound rolls only in those, but it will it burn in very nice.
    Last edited by Brand X; 09-06-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I like Esab Core-shield 15 in .035.. (single pass only) My little 120 volt unit has all the power to run it very well. The Kiswell USA .035 is pretty good, but not as nice as the Esab wire.. You will have a hard time finding a better running wire then the Esab (IMO) .030 does not run as nice as .035 if you have the correct little machine..The little inverter flux-core units handle it with ease. I have the Klutch unit. and my friend has the Little Century FC-90. When using smaller 2 pound rolls only in those, but it will it burn in very nice.
    I have no way to know , but this Lincoln 180 sure burns this .035 pretty nice. It was some of the reason I went with 180 instead of the the smaller welders, and with the higher voltage input. Any wire feeder I have run before this Lincoln, were the big Millers we had in our shop, so non of the issues the smaller machines have .

As far as Esab wire, thats what I bought a lot of , dual shield 1/16 ,and .045 mig. My welders preferred that wire. Looks like for this project I will stick with the name brand, I sure like the way the Lincoln wire runs ,so thats what I will use. I will for sure try other wire later on .

Thanks everyone for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Thing is, I have ran many 175/180 amp welders with .035 self-shielded wire, and know what they weld like. The Little 120 volt inverter machines run it just as nice, but you will have to have a very good input line to do so.. If ran from a generator of proper size, and full output 120 line on them, you can see the little 120 volt machines outputting 170/180 amps with enough voltage to do so..Not arguing that the 120 volt machines are better for it, just super handy for what they are. My Esab Caddy-mig 160 will output over 200 amps,but It such a nice C02 welder, I run gas with it.. The 120 volt machine is a great addition to the little Esab. I am only talking self-shielded .035 single pass wire in them,and for outdoor use. (In my case)
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Blue Demon is my go to brand, very well priced and clean burning. I've run a lot of their E71T-11 and enjoy it every time.

23. Likes weldaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you guys thoughts on the Gel to keep weld splatter off the nozzle, and contact tip. I ordered it,and my guys used it, but never payed much attention to how well it worked . I noticed them a lot cleaning the inside of the nozzle ,so just curious if its really worth the money. I never welded with those guns at work enough to really know, I do know when I picked one to use it usually had a fair amount splatter build up on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you guys thoughts on the Gel to keep weld splatter off the nozzle, and contact tip. I ordered it,and my guys used it, but never payed much attention to how well it worked . I noticed them a lot cleaning the inside of the nozzle ,so just curious if its really worth the money. I never welded with those guns at work enough to really know, I do know when I picked one to use it usually had a fair amount splatter build up on the inside.
    I don't use the anti spatter on the nozzle for fluxcore because I just use the cone nozzle not a gas one. It is sometimes useful to put it on the piece that you're welding or on your table if you know you're going to be running really hot to keep the BB's from sticking to it.

26. Likes weldaholic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    I don't use the anti spatter on the nozzle for fluxcore because I just use the cone nozzle not a gas one. It is sometimes useful to put it on the piece that you're welding or on your table if you know you're going to be running really hot to keep the BB's from sticking to it.
    Thanks, I think I will weld for awhile without ,and see how it goes .

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Lincoln NR211, but also have some Forney & a couple of other offbrands, if I care about looks then I'll change it to Lincoln or GMAW. I'm trying to use up my off brands first but not having much luck. It's been too hot outside all summer, especially when ya really don't have anything that HAS to be done. My evaporative cooler motor died in May & I didn't want to fork out the money for it( at least 200 for that motor), so I've been looking at options.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

29. Likes ronsii liked this post