+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How cheap can you go??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How cheap can you go??

Hot start is a biggie with the 120 volt machines.. High OCV is not enough most times to help with that.. The little Ironton has a real nice arc start with 7018 rods and enough arc force to do the job.. I think a lot of the cheapr machines miss those marks..

I believe your machine is really the very bottom on working at all. Good job, you found it.. I am on a new path with 120 volt stick welding machines.. Just depends if somebody swipes the deal from me?
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to see inside of these units to see how are they built.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by avistar23 View Post
    I'll sell it to you for $65 shipped so you can find out.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

4. Likes angelo c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I'll sell it to you for $65 shipped so you can find out.
    Heck, I'll take it for that price. I would like to play around with a few different rods to see how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by avistar23 View Post
    Name:  hamwelder.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  9.1 KB

7. Likes 12V71, N2 Welding, Oscar, Oldendum, nbb, Dave66, angelo c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Heck, I'll take it for that price. I would like to play around with a few different rods to see how it works.
    I'll consider it. Didn't think anyone was gonna bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll consider it. Didn't think anyone was gonna bite.
    Sounds like the stuff my step sister did as kids. She didn’t want to play with her toy until I wanted to play with it, then she wanted to play with it some more.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

10. Likes Lis2323, 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Sounds like the stuff my step sister did as kids. She didn’t want to play with her toy until I wanted to play with it, then she wanted to play with it some more.

I've decided to keep it, forever and ever!

12. Likes N2 Welding, 12V71, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My son had a friend when they were early teens that loved to take things apart to see what was inside. I finally had to put a stop to his coming over to the house. He loved to see what was inside but had no desire to re-assemble things... Don't mind helping someone learn but they have to learn the whole process from together to together again...AND working Ahhhh youth...what a wonderful thing that is wasted on the young.
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was gonna be worse! Everything is...gulp.....neat and tidy!

(The yellow 3-wire connector is disconnected because I was measuring the knob potentiometer. Basic linear 1kΩ pot.

Full size Pics:

This looks better than some "other color" welders I've seen internal pics of. Won't mention any brand names.
    Last edited by Oscar; 12-07-2020 at 09:37 PM.

15. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked up one of these to run it through it's paces. Sold my Ironton 80i to try this out.. Was a $90.00 amazon deal.. I am surprised the lift arc works so well.. Good solid stick welder too.. These are the same as the older model Klutch units... but the lift-arc never really worked on the later version Klutch units. Good stick arc starts, and stays going real easy. Good OCV, and seems to have enough of a hot start to work.. Nothing worse then the issues that a 120 volt stick machine can have.. Really the last three little 120 volt machines have been really good little units with 7018-3/32 rods on a good 20 amp circuit.. They all will push a suspect 120 volt line at full tilt

https://onlinetoolsupplystore.com/pr...lding-machine/
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

17. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fine tuned my $92.00 120 volt plasma. The IGBT in these little units do a good job in them.. 1000 times better than a older mosfet unit,, Key is buying the correct/decent consumables for the torch..

Here are some cuts on a good 20 amp breaker(pulls more amps) 1/2 down to 10 ga..

By the way, last stick machine (Blue Demon) was bought for $90 new, and sold for $140.. Back to the Ironton 80t for me..
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Brand X; 12-24-2020 at 08:52 PM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

you cut that 1/2" steel on a 120V/20A breaker? Mighty impressive? Just what consumables are you using? Unobtanium?

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap China stuff, but I've always had the best luck here..A few things that matter.. Correct .039 nozzles/electrodes, and most important thing is the swirl rings. Most China made ones are drilled at random. If you put ones that spin the air correctly, it will make a huge difference when using the .039 nozzles (30 amp nozzles/ 70 psi flowing) Really the 1/4 inch cut quality/speed is much improved, and overall sever is too.. The life on these consumables is very good too.. This machine blows away the performance of the original Esab Handy Plasma 250 (120 volt only 18 amp machine) imported from Italy years ago.. Herocut is made by Arc Sonic, and has stepped up the low cost Plasma machines.The pierce is really good too.. Punching throw .250 really fast. That was with the older non upgraded consumables. Bet it does 3/8 without issues now. Another test though..

https://www.weldingstop.com/18866L-N...40-p18335.html
    https://www.weldingstop.com/18025L-N...de-p18334.html
    https://www.weldingstop.com/18785-PT...es-p18324.html
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

21. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I've always thought 039/040 cutting nozzles for were for 40A systems. I wonder what would happen if you constricted the orifice even more by using an 0.8mm hole. I've thought about TIG welding-shut the orifice on a tip, then drilling it out to a specific diameter. Good catch on the swirl ring, as they are most definitely not all the same.

Post Thanks / Like

You could find smaller nozzle sizes in the short style.. I think the performance is about as good as it's going to get with this setup. You have to remember it's a $92.00/28 amp plasma cutter..

I was thinking combining these consumables with the Arc Sonic 240 volt only 45i plasma cutter. I am not into multi voltage/feature packed units in the low cost range. Keep it simple, and there is some good low cost options..This 35i is proving my point.. The Ironton 80t stick machine from Northern tool has a lot of the same things going for it. Has a good hot arc start with 7018, and runs it super nice overall..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I have had/used all the high-end machines from all over the world.. I am generally more impressed just how good the cheap stuff is today.. I am not really sure if it would be all that smart to throw one of your pulse machines around either. If I can get a good solid warranty on a cheap machine for little money, I am all in.. I will not spend a lot of money on a China made machine. It's just has to fit a lower end cost mode for me, and do the job. My other friend that has had many machines, has came to the same conclusion on some of these low rent units.. Tough, and really good value, if you know what to look for.. That is the key, understanding what you are buying. If you look at some of the Cheaper units from Lincoln in the mig units.. They are not even close to the toughness of the older SP units, They are now just in the range of all the little China units, and if you want a tough unit, buy a used old one.. Fence builders are about the worst on machines, and they just don't hold up.. unless you spend really big bucks.. In that case i will just use my LN-25 setup for toughness.
    I share your interest, I have a Lincoln SW200 and PM 180 and a a/c tombstone but bought the prime weld out of curiosity and then 2 of the yes welder machines. I paid about one 11 for the yes welder 165 and it is a good little machine. I ran it on 120 and 240 and on my generator and it performed great on all three. the yes welder mig is a good machine as well but I was unable to find a nozzle for it at air gas and had to wait about 2 months on nozzles from yes welder but they refunded my money because of the wait so I got several as well as some diffusers and tips for free. I gave the 165 to my grandson's and son in law and will be buying the 200 amp version for myself. I have tons of lead but as someone else mentioned it sure is nice to stretch one extension cord instead of 2 heavy leads. I built a gate arch way last week outside on my layout table and the 165 and a few 6011's made short work of it and everything was set up and broken down a lot quicker than it would have had I stretched out leads instead of one 12 gauge cord. the yes welder mig will eventually go to the grandsons as well but I will enjoy it while it is here. another reason I like the idea of the light weight and cheap machines is that I won't cry much if the generator runs away or goes squirrely and fries something but I would shed some tears over the Lincolns. In the end it's each of our own money so why not do with it what brings you a little pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like

Another couple to add to the mix that iv found a bargain and do perform for flux core is the little Century from Lowes or Home Depot Iv had it about a year, been super handy runs great off my little 3k honda generator I can throw it all in the back of my little UTV for projects around the property also can be run off extremely long lengths of extension cord.
    The other to mention Iv owned for some years is the Klutch 140 mig,On this one I modded an HTP gun to fit,I run 030 INE wire on 75/25 works amazing to 3/16 also accurate down to 20 gauge for autoboy work.runs neck in neck with my little ESAB caddy..

Scott recommended these to me zero regrets owning them
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i
    Firepower fp-200
    MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

Post Thanks / Like

In case you don't know,Jim builds some pretty cool stuff with all his tools. (Brain) He never posts pics those fancy hot rods, but does really nice work. We both like quality in tools,but have soft spot for machines that are a good bargain. That is why he owns a Esab/Lorch 220i, and a Herocut 35i
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one Project of his.. Single stage Red @ $800.00 a gal. No wonder he buys cheap welders.. He also sent me a few pics of his latest unit.(not this pickup) Really nice stuff.. LS powered/etc..
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

28. Likes ronsii, farmersammm, whtbaron, angelo c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I agree. The stuff being produced today at the price point they are selling it is crazy, even with typical inflation the lower-end stuff just keeps getting lower in price! I think by next year we might have vending machines for welding machines the size of a 1L bottle of soda pop! So small, you can't even plug in the dinse connectors! Pop in a $5 bill, out comes a 200A stick welder at the break/lunch room of your workplace!
    Look at this video i linked to in a thread here 11 years ago. Its just about that size. The original one was taken down from youtube but another similar one from that thread is still up.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...-video-Youtube

Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Klutch ST80i lunchbox stick welder
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (1953)
    Clausing 6339 Lathe (for sale)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Scott ! trying out and working with new tools keeps these projects interesting
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Caddy160I
    ESAB powercut 650
    Esab 220i tig
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    INE SKYLINE 1500
    Klutch 140i
    Firepower fp-200
    MEASURE TWICE IS FOR MORONS

Post Thanks / Like

Fine tuned my $92.00 120 volt plasma. The IGBT in these little units do a good job in them.. 1000 times better than a older mosfet unit,, Key is buying the correct/decent consumables for the torch..

Here are some cuts on a good 20 amp breaker(pulls more amps) 1/2 down to 10 ga..

By the way, last stick machine (Blue Demon) was bought for $90 new, and sold for $140.. Back to the Ironton 80t for me..

Come On, Just have to ask- is this for real??
    Did the little CUT 35 actually make the 1/2" cut in the pics or are you jerking our chains?

My 50 amp Arcsonic boarded 50 amp ( lotos ) unit would be Very hard pressed to make a cut that nice using 240VAC

Several people would love to have a cheap china unit that can severe 1/2 for under $200.

just want to know if this is for real Brand X
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

Post Thanks / Like

The .500 is a sever cut, and it's about the max the machine will do.. I would guess my .250 is a much better cuts then you will get too.. I have a lot of experience with the real Esab PT-31 torches/machines, and know what works with that torch design. Most people that buy the cheaper units have zero knowledge on making them work correctly. They just think they suck because they have no real clue on setting them up correctly.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

33. Likes 455dan, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The .500 is a sever cut, and it's about the max the machine will do.. I would guess my .250 is a much better cuts then you will get too.. I have a lot of experience with the real Esab PT-31 torches/machines, and know what works with that torch design. Most people that buy the cheaper units have zero knowledge on making them work correctly. They just think they suck because they have no real clue on setting them up correctly.
    Thanks

A friend has been asking and I wanted to make sure -before telling him about the set up you posted.

I also linked this thread over on tractorbynet for a person asking about inexpensive set up's that will cut 3/8 with a rare 1/2 sever cut.

From reading your posts over the years i am aware that you do a lot of plasma cutting and are more than a little familiar with what's available.

For anyone with an air compressor that wants another way to cut metal, seems like a no brainer for the money.

Thanks again
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist