Thread: Powermax 30 Air uses a lot of consumables

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Powermax 30 Air uses a lot of consumables

I am new here and found this place during my search for an answer. Here is my question/problem.

I bought a used Powermax 30 Air machine for a project I have going on. I need to cut 3/16" steel and thinner. Yesterday I finally had time to start this project and I am having an awful time cutting. It makes a huge mess and takes several attempts to cut to 3/16" plates. After one cut (20 inches) which starts out good but ends messy I have to replace the electrode or it barely cuts.

I was watching some YouTube videos on the machine and in the videos it makes nice clean cuts. Not the machine I have. I can get nicer cuts with a cutting torch.

I am curious as to what might be the issue. I am thinking maybe the water separator is not working? I was hoping it is something simple and/or common.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powermax 30 Air uses a lot of consumables

are you using real hypertherm consumables bought at a trusted source?? otherwise you can be using chinese crap..also call hypertherm for FREE advice on what may be the issue..

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe your humidity is super high? I know in my Thermal 35c all in one unit it has a huge built in water separator of super high quality. Not just a little dink unit that does very little for removing water..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

The consumables I bought on Ebay so there is a chance they are counterfeit. The store I bought them from has a web site and appears to be a Hypertherm dealer. I will see if someone near me is a dealer and I will buy some to rule that out.

Humidity was 37% at 77deg. yesterday when I was using it.

I am connected to a 240 volt circuit. I had the same issue with 120v and thought maybe I needed more amperage but that does no appear to be the issue.

If the consumables don't fix it I will call Hypertherm to discuss and possibly send it in. I just figured I would ask here because being a hobbyist I only really use this stuff on weekends and holidays. So calling Hypertherm is not an option until Tuesday.

I appreciate the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Like already said check the water separator. Drops of water are deadly for consumables.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

1st electrodes and nozzles should be replaced in pairs for best cuts.
    2nd work clamp must be connected to clean rust and paint free metal.
    3rd cut nozzle should be just off the metal when starting. 3/16 you will want to start on the edge. After cut arc is started the nozzle can be dragged.
    A small amount water at the nozzle is normal for these units.
    So you will want to make sure you have genuine Hypertherm consumables.