+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SA-200 Project

Post Thanks / Like

SA-200 Project

Picked up an SA-200 from Craigslist 2 days ago. 1957 Model. Bought it for my son for his birthday. He is the welder. Was in dry storage at a local marina for many years covered up in the back of a building. No gas tank or hood. Other than those 2 pieces missing, it looks complete. Owner of the marina bought the place 4 years ago. It was taking up space and he had no interest in it and just wanted it gone. Gave him $200. Engine turns over easily, generator armature and commutator look good. Needs paint and some TLC. A few wires dangling. Hooked up a battery and it cranks over but no output from the magneto. Haven't gotten into that yet. If it had spark I would have probably had it running today. Maybe tomorrow. We have another working SA-200 to look at if we need to figure something out. If it happens to be junk then I am not out that much $.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by WFM; 09-07-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SA-200 Project

This might help if your not familiar with the magneto

Post Thanks / Like

Always thought PA fought for the Union

4. Likes Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    This might help if your not familiar with the magneto
    Good video but different mag. Mag did have some oil in it. Rotor was pretty well worn. Cap was very dirty inside. Cleaned it as best as I could and polished the contacts but still no spark. Maybe that is why it was put into storage in the first place. It is an American Bosch mag. With the price of all the parts, I am thinking of going with an electronic ignition conversion. Engine has very good compression so I am pretty confident that it is good.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill's Welder Repair is another shop specializing in SA200's. 57 short hood 5 gear is very desirable. Mag seal bad and filled with oil will cause a no spark condition. A lot of people prefer a mag.

http://www.billswelderrepair.com/home.html

Post Thanks / Like

I would vote to keep the magneto, this requires no battery to operate vs the electronic ignition does. The other plus for magneto is being able to use hand crank.

http://standardmagneto.com/
    For magneto parts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/230602246682
    Another option from Standard Magneto

One more option

Last edited by guajilloweld03; 09-08-2020 at 12:09 PM.

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the impulse type magneto as starts better even a low battery or hand crank.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    I would vote to keep the magneto, this requires no battery to operate vs the electronic ignition does. The other plus for magneto is being able to use hand crank.

http://standardmagneto.com/
    For magneto parts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/230602246682
    Another option from Standard Magneto

One more option

Post Thanks / Like

Bolted on an axle and yoke from another welder so we could pull it outside and pressure wash it. Came pretty clean. Found a new mag thanks to guajilloweld03. This is turning into a nice father/son project.

Post Thanks / Like

Got things painted. Saw some gunk coming out of the water pump so decided to remove it and take it apart. It was loaded with crap that looked like dried mud. Saw the same gunk in the block so decided to take off the head. Glad we did. Water jackets were plugged with crap. The engine would have overheated. Think we got most of it cleaned out. Bought a full engine gasket kit. Took off the oil pan. The lower end was very clean and looked good. Little bit of sludge in the lifter galley but it cleaned up nice. Just got everything back together. Found a gas tank but it still needs mounted. Couldn't find a decent price for a mag so installed electronic ignition. Couple more things to do and we can try to fire it up.
    Last edited by WFM; 10-06-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It runs great and it welds. Still need a hood but have the materials to make one. Buttoning it up for the winter. Finish it in the spring.

13. Likes FlyFishn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work WFM. But you know painting it blue isn't going to make it a Miller.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist