Thread: welder causing monitor interfernce

Post Thanks / Like

welder causing monitor interfernce

Ok guys, my welder is in my garage, the garage is on a separate breaker. My wife works from home, anytime I try to weld as soon as i step on the pedal her monitors blank out. How can i fix this ? I have put her work computer and monitors on a UPS but still having issues. I am using an alphatig

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: welder causing monitor interfernce

Ground your welder to earth ground might help. It is hi frequency that is doing it.
    Download a manual for a Miller TIG welder & read up on the hi freq interference & fixes.

3. Likes Kelvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwby View Post
    Ground your welder to earth ground might help. It is hi frequency that is doing it.
    Download a manual for a Miller TIG welder & read up on the hi freq interference & fixes.
    +1

Some ferrite core chokes (look for cheapos on ebay) on the cords between the monitor and computer might help, too.

You might also send a PM to Louie1961 on this forum about this. He has some expertise on RF.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what high frequency can do.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

If all else fails (I would try the ferrite chokes first, since they're probably cheaper), you might look for a shielded cord to go from the graphics card in the computer to the monitor. I don't know whether they even exist, but shielding the signal cord might help.

If you can find out the frequency/wavelength of the HF in your welder, that might help you figure out where to locate the ferrite choke on the signal cord (google how to use ferrite chokes -- there are formulas to figure out where to place them on cables to filter out various wavelengths).

If the HF is a high-enough frequency, its path will be close to "line-of-sight" and you might be able to block it by putting a grounded piece of sheet metal between the welder and the monitor -- again, this is a question for Louie1961.

It might also be worth a call to one of the welder manufacturers (I'd try Miller) to see if they have an electronics guru who might offer advice.

Let us know what you come up with and whether it works, please.
    Last edited by Kelvin; 09-09-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I would start by having a knowledgeable electrician look over your electrical service and be sure it is grounded properly and make sure what was used is still fully intact and doing it's job. Check the panel and be sure the grounding is done correctly and bond screw installed if it should be or neutrals and grounds separate if after first mean of disconnect.

https://www.esgroundingsolutions.com...ystem-testing/

Try grounding anything in garage made of substantial amount of sheet metal like any metal benches, tool boxes, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=danielplace;8767236]I would start by having a knowledgeable electrician look over your electrical service and be sure it is grounded properly and make sure what was used is still fully intact and doing it's job. Check the panel and be sure the grounding is done correctly and bond screw installed if it should be or neutrals and grounds separate if after first mean of disconnect.

I would start with this!
    You would not believe the stuff I've seen in main panels and sub panels including new installations!

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago, just for sh!ts and grins, I bought one of the little 80-90 amp Harbor Fright inverter shoe box welders to play with (uses high frequency start I've heard). My shop is about 80-90 feet from my house. Every time I used the HF welder, it would kick my DSL modem OFF! With my ESAB Miniarc 161LTS, none of my electronics have ever been affected.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it could be the machine itself doesn't have appropriate grounding.

I believe possible if the cabinet of the machine isn't properly grounded and shielding the emission it could considerably higher than they would otherwise be escaping.

Also if machine ground is actually just connected to the neutral because ground is missing or done incorrectly anywhere the interference could be traveling from machine and out the ground right into the same neutral your monitors 120 volt is sharing which it always does do somewhere but if it is also connected to a good working grounding system the effects are diminished substantially.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-09-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They make Voltage Stabilizer
    They work great I have used the Voltage Stabilizer in pass.
    The problem is power coming in to house but power company will not do anything.
    I am surprised you having that problem on today computers.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JHForman View Post
    Ok guys, my welder is in my garage, the garage is on a separate breaker. My wife works from home, anytime I try to weld as soon as i step on the pedal her monitors blank out. How can i fix this ? I have put her work computer and monitors on a UPS but still having issues. I am using an alphatig

Thanks,
    John