Thread: One of the dumbest things I've done.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the dumbest things I've done.

A colossal waste of time. LMFAO.
    Backstory:
    When I bought my house, my grandparents had moved into a home, and gifted me their washer/dryer. On the trip down, the start knob popped off, and for the last 3 years I've been grabbing a little 1/4" plastic rod to turn it on.
    Annoying.

Tonight after finishing up some things on my Jeep, I saw my milling machine (hard to miss lol) and a brass mortise lock "dummy cylinder.

So I wasted a couple hours making a new knob. It's a little small, but loads better than nothing.
    Name:  IMG_20200909_200754.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  76.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200909_200759.jpg
Size:  78.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20200909_200841.jpg
Size:  49.8 KB

2. Likes ronsii, 12V71, Capt B, DavidR8, Mikel_24, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One of the dumbest things I've done.

Now that you fixed the knob... the rest of the machine will break at least that's what would happen around here

Post Thanks / Like

If that's the dumbest thing you've ever done, you haven't lived yet. If it even makes the top ten for this week you need to do more.
    Last edited by bent; 09-10-2020 at 03:32 PM.

5. Likes DavidR8, wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice. But your not done. You need to engrave an arrow/pointer using your mill. You have at least another hours work.

Were you questioning your logical reasoning with each pass? Were you thinking I need to stop, but couldn't resist another pass?

Did you hold it up admire it and say, " I still got it,after all these years"
    Last edited by tapwelder; 09-10-2020 at 04:15 PM.

7. Likes Fnord5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Nice. But your not done. You need to engrave an arrow/pointer using your mill. You have at least another hours work.

Were you questioning your logical reasoning with each pass? Were you thinking I need to stop, but couldn't resist another pass?

Did you hold it up admire it and say, " I still got it,after all these years"
    Lol that's like the second thing I've ever machined

Post Thanks / Like

Replacement knobs are only $5.99
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Exactly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Or less at a used appliance place.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC - sold
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com
    MyWelds.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    Lol that's like the second thing I've ever machined
    Lol.

So you haven't experienced the, spending 8 hours/days making special fixtures to hold a part that takes an hour to make.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol.

So you haven't experienced the, spending 8 hours/days making special fixtures to hold a part that takes an hour to make.
    Nope. I'm just a guy with a Bridgeport in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol.

Or spent 5 days making a mill fixture for a CNC for the ENTIRE program to be canceled 20 minutes after test run is done and part is on the CMM. Long story short I was moonlighting at a job shop, finished the fixture, went to work the next day, and they announced the ENTIRE program was canceled. Called my buddy at the job shop, test article for the fixture had just come out of the machine and was about to go on the CMM. That was a HUGE waste of time, but paid fairly well.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

What's the fun in buying one? You said that was like the 2nd thing you've machined, that's great, if you hadn't done it then you would still be looking for your second project. I made my living for almost 14 years as a machinist & at one point in life my wife had a Rainbow vacuum cleaner, they were a high dollar vacuum that filtered through water, their weak point was an aluminum seal rilng that was about .045 In. thick around the perimeter, with a flange that was about the same thickness, so to make a long story short, between the high alkali water and not the best maintenance by the wife not emptying it regularly, that seal corroded away, I got it off & measured it out & drew it up & made a new one from bronze, that one outlasted the vacuum. The other big one there was new bronze gears for their tv antenna rotators.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Rainbow vacuums were amazing! My grandparents had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    Or spent 5 days making a mill fixture for a CNC for the ENTIRE program to be canceled 20 minutes after test run is done and part is on the CMM. Long story short I was moonlighting at a job shop, finished the fixture, went to work the next day, and they announced the ENTIRE program was canceled. Called my buddy at the job shop, test article for the fixture had just come out of the machine and was about to go on the CMM. That was a HUGE waste of time, but paid fairly well.
    That reminds me of the hammer mill they brought to the shop & wanted it rebuilt, the hammers replace, new bearings and liners, etc. This thing was going to be used to CRUSH COAL to make their own form of COKE, I took the job & did what needed to be done, it had all been spec'd out by the company engineers, so I finished it up & calmly walked into the bosses office to ask "what's going to happen when the sparks start flyin'" ? He's like "whattaya mean", I said," well those hammers are a manganese alloy as are the liners, they want to pulverize the coal for furnace fuel, I think the coal dust is gonna be a little EXPLOSIVE". His eyes opened up & he hauled azz to engineering office, needless to say there was a new rebuilt hammer mill sitting there ten years later, I I kinda felt like an ahole, but hey those engineers & bosses should have caught it before it got started, Had I pointed it out , they would have likely said to do it anyway!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

18. Likes Fnord5, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    That reminds me of the hammer mill they brought to the shop & wanted it rebuilt, the hammers replace, new bearings and liners, etc. This thing was going to be used to CRUSH COAL to make their own form of COKE, I took the job & did what needed to be done, it had all been spec'd out by the company engineers, so I finished it up & calmly walked into the bosses office to ask "what's going to happen when the sparks start flyin'" ? He's like "whattaya mean", I said," well those hammers are a manganese alloy as are the liners, they want to pulverize the coal for furnace fuel, I think the coal dust is gonna be a little EXPLOSIVE". His eyes opened up & he hauled azz to engineering office, needless to say there was a new rebuilt hammer mill sitting there ten years later, I I kinda felt like an ahole, but hey those engineers & bosses should have caught it before it got started, Had I pointed it out , they would have likely said to do it anyway!
    Probably would have felt worse if you hadn't said anything.

20. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
    Probably would have felt worse if you hadn't said anything.
    I had to bring it up, nearly 500 employees working there, basically there were 4 shifts in operations with each department having a repair crew also 4 shifts, this allowed full coverage and days off, then there were the 4 craft shops, Electric shop, Pipe shop, Boiler, Tinsmiths, & Insulators shop and the Machine shop and Locomotive shop. I just found it hard to accept that it had gone through the whole approval/engineering groups without someone saying "isn't coal dust explosive". My conscience wouldn't let me be responsible for killing an entire shift possibly
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 09-11-2020 at 01:10 AM.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

22. Likes ronsii, Fnord5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always subscribed to the " why buy it for ten dollars if you can make it for a hundred...) method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    I have always subscribed to the " why buy it for ten dollars if you can make it for a hundred...) method.
    About 2 hours of machine time, at least 100 bucks.
    It was all freestyle, if I was trying to go to a drawing, it would have taken 10x that because nothing was done to size aside from the hole for the start switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good to me.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.