Thread: Me or the Welder

Post Thanks / Like

Me or the Welder

I'm new to welding and purchased the Titanium Flux 125 DC from HF.
    I keep burning through the metal at the recommended power setting, I'll lower the power but still will burn through.
    The Titanium power is A -J and the wire speed is 1 -10. The pic is of 14 gauge metal with recommended power setting at 4-5 and wires speed at D-E.
    I'm keeping ~ 3/8 inch wire lead distance to the material. Also adjusting the speed of the weld. I also experienced this with thicker metal at the higher recommended welder settings.
    I'm going to replace the ground clamp that came with the welder as it's cheaply made. I'm not sure if I just need more time welding or the welder is having issues?
    I'd like to take a welding class but that's not going to happen with current events.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GEH; 09-12-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Me or the Welder

It's you... just keep practicing, once you get to the point of being able to see the puddle 'going' to melt through and you are able to move it accordingly you'll find it just takes a 'feel' for it... You need to gradually move the gun a bit faster the longer you are welding on a given piece of metal as the heat will build up and make it easier to burn though at the same speed that you started at...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly not an expert, and maybe I'm seeing things backwards, but are you pushing or pulling when you move? One or two look like you were pulling the gun and that makes it much harder to see the puddle.

The other thing is that in some cases too low of a wire feed which increases the arc length which will widen the puddle and that causes you to have to move slower, and the extra heat input leads to burn through. The charts are really just a starting point, and sometimes you have to try both higher and lower to find the happy spot that works for you.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 252 W/Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, it's you. More practice with playing with settings so you can dial it in properly. Also, for flux cored wire I tend to use closer to 1⁄2" than 3/8".
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Solid wire or Flux-core? Flux-core needs to be pulled and solid wire pushed.

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

it's definitely you not the machine, 14G is pretty thin to learn on, but at least with MIG welding I think 3/4 of the learning curve is learning how to set the machine for for you weld and the application, I couldn't give you the settings I would use for that application because I definitely weld different to you, you have to figure it out for yourself with a lot of trial and error.

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good little flux core welder. I've had good success with mine on 18 gauge on up to over 1/4". Their recommended settings are a bit hot for some welds. The type of joint makes a difference on heat/wire feed settings. I tend to keep the settings equal with mine: a-1, b-2, c-3 and so on. Keeps things simple and works. On 14g I would start with c-3 and see how that works. Use between 1/2" and 3/4" stick out because the flux core requires more spacing to shield the weld properly. Drag, don't push flux core. Watch for good penetration in your joint. Inside corners take more heat, where outside corners take less. Practice, practice, practice...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Solid wire or Flux-core? Flux-core needs to be pulled and solid wire pushed.
    I missed that as well...he said it's a Titanium Flux welder from HF, so it has to be flux-core.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 252 W/Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

You can get good weld with 120 volt welders. But is harder to do.
    As Oscar said the sick out of wire. If look in manual it will show a drawing.
    I found only use 0.030" [0.8mm] flux core wire. They say you use 0.035 [0.9mm] but it is cold weld and harder to make good weld.

Like other said in this post practice it will take hours and hours. Find scrap iron.
    Mig and Flux core is easier than stick welding.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GEH View Post
    I'm new to welding and purchased the Titanium Flux 125 DC from HF.
    I keep burning through the metal at the recommended power setting, I'll lower the power but still will burn through.
    The Titanium power is A -J and the wire speed is 1 -10. The pic is of 14 gauge metal with recommended power setting at 4-5 and wires speed at D-E.
    I'm keeping ~ 3/8 inch wire lead distance to the material. Also adjusting the speed of the weld. I also experienced this with thicker metal at the higher recommended welder settings.
    I'm going to replace the ground clamp that came with the welder as it's cheaply made. I'm not sure if I just need more time welding or the welder is having issues?
    I'd like to take a welding class but that's not going to happen with current events.