Thread: Miller Pipe Pro 304 - How to keep the varmints out?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Miller Pipe Pro 304 - How to keep the varmints out?

I recently bought a Miller Pipe Pro 304. Mostly what caught my eye was the 12k watt generator. Having a welder combined would be nice too. It has about 2700 hours on it.

I opened it up and the mice had been living in the inverter. Not surprisingly the welder doesn't work. I got it pretty well cleaned up. The generator seems to work fine. There are two boards inside the inverter (voltage regulator and power board) that control much of the generator function so I guess these work ok since the generator seems to do it's thing fine. I changed all the fluids and filters and have been using it for about 2 weeks. I think I will remove the inverter assy for a good cleaning in the future. I plan to work on getting the welder working but that will be over time. I found a Technical manual for this welder on ebay and this has a lot of detailed info so it will be an interesting project.

The weather proofing is not so good and it has lots of holes in it for mice to enter, spiders, etc. I'm considering building a skid to set it on, getting it up off the ground will be a help and maybe closing up the fork lift pockets and any other big holes- maybe screw on covers. Also, it seems like it is not too rain resistant.

I suppose all the Miller engine driven welders share much of these issues. Anybody got any suggestions on improvements? Maybe a rain hood made from 16 ga or so to go over the whole thing?
    Last edited by pdeal; 09-13-2020 at 06:23 PM.