Thread: Millermatic vintage issues

Post Thanks / Like

Millermatic vintage issues

I'm having problems with a millermatic vintage welder I got for free . Itll run fine for a few minutes and then every time I pull the trigger it just burns the wire and wont stick more out and clicks and stops. Its annoying as hell . I think that's why It was free . I checked the ground connection and positive connection and all seem fine . I checked contactor but I dont see anything wrong there . Any ideas where to start ? I put a new liner in today after it started acting up and still doing it .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "I'd Rather die on my feet , than live on my knee's"

64' Lincoln Sa 200 Redface Code 5496 - Sold
    72' Lincoln Idealarc 250 (Roundtop)
    MillerMatic Vintage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Millermatic vintage issues

So are you experiencing wire feeding issues? Are the drive rolls slipping?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a copy off owners manual with your serial #

Follow set up instructions and trouble shooting section.

What wire are you using, is it clean and last post pictures.

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...O1311V_MIL.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Liner or drive rolls are most likely the cause. The bottom drive roll may be in too far. It is supposed to be adjustable with a crush washer behind it but many times the drive roll has been tightened all the way down. Sometimes you have to pull it off and put it back on to get it right. The wire has to run in the center of the drive roll. Also the braid in guns can go bad and will weld a little and then cause the wire to stick. If you have another known good gun, then try it first...

Post Thanks / Like

the drive rolls are brand new , the liner is new . i adjusted the tension according to the manual , i even tried more tension and less tension and it still does it . right now it is currently at its worst . i tried useing it today to weld stuff for my tractor and i got so agrivated with it that i put it away and went and used the farms mig and no issues there . Every time i try to start welding today it would make a spark on the metal and pop and thats it , the wire almost stuck to the tip and sucked almost flush with the end of the tip. a few taps against metal and the wire would stick back out a little , try again and again and again same thing happens. I dont really know where to start looking , the drive rolls seem perfectly in line with each other , i have the correct size wire for them and they are facing the correct way. the liner i put in is for the correct size wire as well . any ideas ? thank you

sorry took soo long to get back , havent had time to look at it with work .

MillerMatic Vintage

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I’ve found when setting up my 8VS feeder is that if I put the gun in all the way it is possible to contact the drive rolls and interfere with the feed.

Post Thanks / Like

That type of instant burn back makes me think your machine has lost control of the voltage and is feeding a high voltage spike.

Or the voltage is fine, but the wire feed quits.

Either way, it may take two sets of eyes to see what's happening during welding.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you verify that the wire is feeding properly? Have you pinched it between your fingers and pulled the trigger to make sure feeding is not an issue? If feeding is not an issue then I think Dave has the next best idea with voltage issues. I have read about issues like this relating to a bad bank of capacitors but I honestly don’t know the first thing about the machine in question.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple other things I've seen over the years before.

1: Wire on the spool has backlashed and sometimes will over wrap itself. As wire dereels off the spool while being fed, the point where it's over wrapped by another wrap of wire will cause hesitation and it'll burn back to the tip.

2: Had a customer bring a vintage in once complaining of the same as you. Pulled my hair out trying to figure it out. Finally took the wire out of the machine and took the spindle off that the spool rides on to check the pressure adjusting hardware. Come to find out someone had dismantled it before and had put a lock washer in place of a flat washer, which would make it "hang" up just enough to cause the burn back.

May not be your problem but it's something to check.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses , I'll look more tommorow , I did look after the comment about the gun being inserted too far , not sure if this is correct or not but the liner portion does touch the drive rolls sticking out from the gun .

MillerMatic Vintage

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me for reviving my old thread , but I finally figured the issue out last week . I put the machine in the corner of the garage and haven't messed with it again till last week . It kept sticking thr wire to the tip. And popping instantly . Long story short the liner metal spring was touching the feed rolls barely inside the machine , im guessing it was shorting itself or something. I fixed that and instantly machine runs flawlessly. I've used it non stop since and no issues at all . Before I could not use it at all it wouldnt do nothing .

MillerMatic Vintage

12. Likes AlabamaJoe, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Sometimes it's the little things that are really a pain to sort out. I ran a Vintage briefly and was impressed...very smooth running machine.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 252 W/Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I love it , very nice to use Name:  Screenshot_20201011-211033_Gallery.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  66.7 KB

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MillerMatic Vintage

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! Those are nice machines.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.