Thread: Miller Pipe Pro 304 - How to keep the varmints out?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Miller Pipe Pro 304 - How to keep the varmints out?

I recently bought a Miller Pipe Pro 304. Mostly what caught my eye was the 12k watt generator. Having a welder combined would be nice too. It has about 2700 hours on it.

I opened it up and the mice had been living in the inverter. Not surprisingly the welder doesn't work. I got it pretty well cleaned up. The generator seems to work fine. There are two boards inside the inverter (voltage regulator and power board) that control much of the generator function so I guess these work ok since the generator seems to do it's thing fine. I changed all the fluids and filters and have been using it for about 2 weeks. I think I will remove the inverter assy for a good cleaning in the future. I plan to work on getting the welder working but that will be over time. I found a Technical manual for this welder on ebay and this has a lot of detailed info so it will be an interesting project.

The weather proofing is not so good and it has lots of holes in it for mice to enter, spiders, etc. I'm considering building a skid to set it on, getting it up off the ground will be a help and maybe closing up the fork lift pockets and any other big holes- maybe screw on covers. Also, it seems like it is not too rain resistant.

I suppose all the Miller engine driven welders share much of these issues. Anybody got any suggestions on improvements? Maybe a rain hood made from 16 ga or so to go over the whole thing?
    Last edited by pdeal; 09-13-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller Pipe Pro 304 - How to keep the varmints out?

Saw a video of a person partially fill 5 gallon buckets with concrete set jack stands inside the buckets. Then set his vintage car on the jack stands. Vehicle was suspended a few inches off the ground. Rodents cannot climb the buckets.

Post Thanks / Like

Now there's one! I sort-of live in the woods and it's a never ending battle with them. I put poison around to try to reduce the numbers but it's still a battle. Then there are also the little mud bees that fill up every hole in every exposed outlet with mud. I have to put electrical tape over any exposed outlet. Then there are the spiders. And on it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

We started using those ultrasonic rodent scare things around our farm.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a product called Fresh Cab that we use in tractors & equipment to keep them out. Works pretty good & will last a couple of months. works in any enclosed space. Most implement dealers carry it in stock or it can be ordered from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Bot.../dp/B00L236OMW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    We started using those ultrasonic rodent scare things around our farm.
    I installed a bunch of those if different areas quite a few years ago... still saw evidence of the little buggers so don't know how good they really work...or maybe they significantly cut down on the number of rodents and there were just a few 'tougher' ones doing all the damage???

Post Thanks / Like

after my kubota tractor got wires eat up, started using dryer sheets on tractor and got 2 cats. moth balls in small dishes set around help with the rest.
    lincoln 125sp
    monkey wards 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

I was getting mice in my shop(pole building with sheathing and vinyl siding). I started using Just One Bite bait. Inside and outside.
    Still were getting in so I went to the local scrapyard and got some stainless swarf. Stuffed that in the corners of the building and sprayed foam in it and no more.
    Still using the bait outside.

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

had the little buggers living in my camper for the winter. Got some dryer sheets and cloves in a tin cup. Also put some moth balls around. Not sure if that is what kept them away but it worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

good old fashioned moth balls work great..just put some around the base of the welder an no rodents will come close...every few months when they dissolve, just replace..I have been using them for decades to keep all the critters out of equipment and shops....

Post Thanks / Like

Careful on the use of mothballs!!! I seem to remember reading a study that links them to Alzheimer's or some other memory issues... but I can't remember exactly what it was...

13. Likes 12V71, Hobbytime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Careful on the use of mothballs!!! I seem to remember reading a study that links them to Alzheimer's or some other memory issues... but I can't remember exactly what it was...
    only in confined places the fumes could be an issue...if I remember correctly...

15. Likes ronsii liked this post