Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carriage Bolt Clamp

Post Thanks / Like

Carriage Bolt Clamp

Sammy's new thang

Need to do some holes. Fairly accurate, but not SpaceX accurate.

I've tried to explain how to set up a drill press vise with no drama involved.

Put the vise on the table, chuck up a center, and get a ruler.................

Name:  clamp2.JPG
Views: 669
Size:  231.7 KB

Set yer center using the fixed jaw as the baseline..............

Name:  clamp1.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  218.6 KB

And plop your piece in, and punch a hole.....................gaur-on-teeeeeed to be centered.

Name:  clamp3.JPG
Views: 665
Size:  197.8 KB

A truly sharp bit, if you gently start it, won't walk. At least for the purpose of a non Uber Critical workpiece.

Name:  clamp10.JPG
Views: 669
Size:  241.9 KB Forget all that Drill Doctor BS, get ya one of these. And a General Hardware drill bit sharpening guide/gage.

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carriage Bolt Clamp

Next, we gonna make some buttons............

Name:  clamp4.JPG
Views: 662
Size:  190.8 KB These are the rough blanks turned from some scrap (hence the center in one of 'em).

Next, it's time to dimension the booooogers..........

Name:  clamp5.JPG
Views: 656
Size:  211.0 KB Faced them first, then continued cutting the face until the thickness was correct.

Name:  clamp6.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  235.5 KB You can get close using the longitudinal feed wheel mic, but for the final few thousands.........use a pancake indicator. Makes ya feel like ya akshully know WTF yer doin'

Deburr, bevel, and sit back and admire it whilst sippin' the first beer of the evening (This is my weekly Beer Nite)

Name:  clamp7.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  203.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

So..................where we goin' with this fancified crap???????????????????????

The buttons have to "float".

Name:  clamp8.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  236.5 KB

They fits in the leeeeetle hole, and need to be able to scooch around a bit to center themselves.

Name:  clamp9.JPG
Views: 656
Size:  209.1 KB I'd tell ya the required diametrical cleeeeeeernce, but then I'd have to kill ya

Start weldin' the whole mess up tomorrow................Name:  stimpy2.gif
Views: 645
Size:  9.2 KB Well...........after a bit more machinin'...........

Post Thanks / Like

I had an old millwright instructor teach me how to sharpen a bit, I use his technique all the time.

6. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Millwrightdude View Post
    I had an old millwright instructor teach me how to sharpen a bit, I use his technique all the time.
    The last bench grinder I bought actually has the angle marked into one of the base guards... very handy. I'm curious though, you should post a video of the method you're using....
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to explain, Not sure I could do it in a short video. One thing to always remember, the cutting edge needs to be the tallest part of the bit . I seen guys sharpen a bit and do a good job but the relief part is higher than the cutting edge. Once they lowered the relief so its lower than the cutting edge it cut good. Another thing is tip angle, pay attention to the tip angle, to much angle won't cut worth a crap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    The last bench grinder I bought actually has the angle marked into one of the base guards... very handy. I'm curious though, you should post a video of the method you're using....
    It was all a mystery to me, until I watched this video on Youtube years ago. An older guy who just did it, and explained it simply. I'll try to find the video. MillwrightDude probably uses the same method I'd venture.

Do 3 passes on each side. Fist 2 passes, you cut your relief angle. The final pass, you get into the the cutting edge, and dress it. 3 each side, and they usually balance out. I use the drill gage to verify what I'm doing. Do not do your cutting edge until the final pass. Do your 3 on the one side, then move to the other side, and do the same 3. You actually remove so little material, and create so little heat, that you don't have to dip the bit till you're ready to use it.

I don't use the tool rest, I do it all freehand. I use the top of the old cutting edge as a guide. I hold it parallel to the wheel, and work from there. By balancing the cuts (3 each side), you don't take too much off, to the point you've ruined the profile.......you're always in the ballpark.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 09-14-2020 at 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to explain, Not sure I could do it in a short video. One thing to always remember, the cutting edge needs to be the tallest part of the bit . I seen guys sharpen a bit and do a good job but the relief part is higher than the cutting edge. Once they lowered the relief so its lower than the cutting edge it cut good. Another thing is tip angle, pay attention to the tip angle, to much angle won't cut worth a crap
    Yeah!!........you're talkin' the relief angle......most guys don't know how to cut the relief angle

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bench grinder dedicated to just sharping bits, one rock is for broken bits and the other is very fine for sharpening them.

Post Thanks / Like

You can take a bit and almost have a flat tip but with the tip cut right, with the right speed and it cuts so fast with out hardly any pressure. One thing I do is I use a heavy oil for cooling the bit when sharpening, Something the guy taught me.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to illustrate angles in a boring bar I ground a while back. Not all that fancy nomenclature........just an idea of clearance, and rake.

Name:  broken wheel121.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  98.9 KB Most metal cutting tools are "point" tools. You put a lot of force in a small area to remove material.

The vertical angle, back from the tip, towards the center of the cutter, is a relief angle. It gives clearance as the tip bites into the metal. Without this angle, the thing would scrape on the metal, and not cut it.

The horizontal angle, on the bottom of the cutter, is yet another clearance angle. It keeps the bottom of the cutter from trying to scrape along its entire diameter when plunging into the material. Only the sharp point is cutting.

Name:  broken wheel123.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  68.2 KB The leading edge of the cut is on the left side of the picture. It's the point. The rounded edge of the tool blank is the relief angle. It provides clearance, and allows the point to be forced into the work, and cut.

A milling cutter actually has more complicated angles than a drill bit.........drill bits only involve one clearance angle/relief angle. Think of a drill bit as a chisel.

Post Thanks / Like

You can take a bit and almost have a flat tip but with the tip cut right, with the right speed and it cuts so fast with out hardly any pressure. One thing I do is I use a heavy oil for cooling the bit when sharpening, Something the guy taught me.
    The coolest thing, and I'm bad about it I guess, is a high rake that literally pulls the tool down into the metal. Almost no down force on the drill. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't willing to resharpen pretty often to dress the edge. It's hard on edges. All about the angle.

Post Thanks / Like

I get pretty excited about this stuff...........it took me a long time to get down to it, and learn it.

Post Thanks / Like

It takes practice.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought this one did the best overall job explaining it, even though it is a bit out of focus at times.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

19. Likes geezer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like that guy, I've watched his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, that's the only video of him I watched, and I thought it covered all the bases well. I just wish there was better camera focus and view.
    -Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Aw Hell, it's a personality thing with his videos. Just my take. It's a matter of the minutia I guess.........mostly useless garble. Just my take. You should see the BS he gets into with a simple lathe bit.

Post Thanks / Like

It's just me...........I'm a grumpy old bastard. Don't take it to heart

Post Thanks / Like

This is a bit of a different way of doing it, a very simple way. It's been my go to technique now for a while, works great.

If you have a little more time on your hands, this guy has some awesome how to videos. One of the most, if not THE most popular diy/homeshop garage tinkering channel.

As the name suggests, its a long way around. But the guys style and sense of humor make it easy to watch and learn. I havent watched it in a while but I believe he goes and makes a drill bit completely from scratch using a blank piece of rod. Very thorough explanation.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

25. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I thought this one did the best overall job explaining it, even though it is a bit out of focus at times.
    Good instructional vid
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    It's just me...........I'm a grumpy old bastard. Don't take it to heart
    No worries, Sammmmmmm.

And yeah - This Old Tony does do fantastic videos. Pro quality, great detail, and they are fun/funny/easy to watch. I just don't always have that kind of time...
    -Dave

Post Thanks / Like

LOL @ "Chowdered right to ****" .... now he's talking my language!
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Got sidetracked yesterday.

Anyways.........did some slotting today

Name:  clamp11.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  224.4 KB

This particular slot had to be centered. Take some dye, scribe your mark with a caliper, then line it up with the wiggler. About as good as any method for something that's not particularly overly mogombo critical...........in a sorta get 'er done way. (Probably within about +-.002 )

Name:  clamp12.JPG
Size:  223.7 KB

Name:  clamp13.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  199.1 KB

Name:  clamp14.JPG
Size:  212.9 KB The slot isn't for looks. The purpose is to move the center of torque further towards the center of the upright piece of tubing. This way, it's integral with all walls on the upright, and less flexible.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too familiar with the settings on the HH190, so I figured I'd just crank it up enough so's it would give me some hopefully good fusion.

Name:  clamp16.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  200.5 KB

Turns out...........the little booger has a bit more dig than I thought it did. I haven't used it in a while, so I've sorta forgotten where the voltage should be for something like this.

Name:  clamp17.JPG
Views: 315
Size:  158.1 KB Name:  mutley.gif
Views: 317
Size:  9.3 KB The idea was to have enough heat for the nut, and focus it on the nut, while letting the puddle flow down into the 11ga tubing. I DEFINITELY GOT SOME FUSION I was doin' good not to burn through the nut

Today was a weird day............had to cut THREE of these to get the right size.......I did the calculations wrong on the first one, straightened out my numbers, AND CUT THE SECOND ONE THE SAME LENGTHName:  itsok.gif
Views: 314
Size:  1.3 KB......the third try was the charmName:  erniefp.png
Views: 316
Size:  13.7 KB