+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dinosaur Linde Wire-Feeder

Post Thanks / Like

Dinosaur Linde Wire-Feeder

Hi guys it’s been awhile since I last asked any questions or posted so I figured, why not. I just grabbed a new to me Union Carbide SMW-35 wire feeder sled. It appears to be in decent shape, I’m just curious if I can run this off of an inverter with some slight tinkering. Still trying to figure out posting pics on here. Any assistance on that would also be appreciated. Thanks guys looking forward to hearing from you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dinosaur Linde Wire-Feeder

To post a picture, save it to a file on your computer. Then click the picture button at the top of the reply window and follow the instructions.
    Being an old feeder it should run on 115 volts. So the first question is does you inverter have 115 volts in its feeder plug? Then you have to find out how the contactor circuits function. will a simple switch closure turn the welder on or do you have to return 115 or 24 volts, or maybe 42.volts or is it AC or DC.
    if the SMW 35 is an older version of the mig35 it should use 115 volts AC with a 115 volt return for contactor. do a google search for esab mig 35. the manual for this feeder should be one of the first items found. look at address. should be ESAB.
    One way to run the feeder would be get 115 volts from a wall plug use it to power the feeder and a relay. The relay gives you isolation. feeder drives the relay and relay contacts close and turn welder on.
    Will need to know what welder model you have to be any better help.
    Let me know if you feeder matches up to the MIG 35. If not I will have to go into the archives and see if I can find your feeder.

Post Thanks / Like

Myst69

Quote Originally Posted by Myst69 View Post
    I just grabbed a new to me Union Carbide SMW-35 wire feeder sled.

I’m just curious if I can run this off of an inverter with some slight tinkering.
    I cannot answer your 'Inverter ?' - but, early Union Carbide wire feeders
    were 'Bomb Proof', and much much more reliable than Red or Blue . . .

Pics will tell - few retain model # from 40 yrs. < . . .

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

If it's comparable to a Mig 35 feeder it's a good feeder. Here's a manual that may be some help.

https://www.esabna.com/literature/ar...f-12-786-m.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thanks for everyone’s help, it does appear to be the older version of the esab MiG 35 all of those components look very similar. The inverter I was planning on running it off of was either my thermal arc 400 gms or my old powcon 200

Post Thanks / Like

Should run on the thermal arc, the powcon you will have to look at diagrams and see if it has the right power. then you might have to change the feeder to a normally closed contact from normally open.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist