Thread: Returning Welder

Post Thanks / Like

Returning Welder

Hello everyone my name is Nathan and im a 27 year old entry level welder. I am a returning welder. I took 2 years of marine trades vocational class at my high school and that was where i found welding. I got an internship for welding at a local welding warehouse where i live that is also one of the few places that is qualified to do aws certifications. So i went to their welding school did the internship did everything except overhead welding and osha certification. I did welding for my senior project my senior year of high school. Then i graduated in 2012 and went back later that year to retake the welding course as a regular student and did the overhead test and got my osha certification. But i didn't take it anywhere i decided i wasnt sure if i wanted to be a welder, not cause i don't like welding i actually really liked it and did really good with it, but just wasnt sure what i truly wanted to do at the time cause i was a big video gamer so i went my own way for a bit. Tried to get into video game design college but it was to expensive and then family problems arised and a lot of bouncing around happened for me so my life was crazy for a while and then it calmed down a bit these past several months. But opportunity is knocking at my door again for welding so im taking it. I have applied at General Dynamics Electric Boat. I have an interview at the end of this month. I have training in FCAW, SMAW, GMAW(pulse)in 3G vertical and 4G overhead, Regular GMAW 2G horizontal. And an introduction to GTAW, weld symbols, distortion control, oxy/fuel cutting, and carbon arc gouging.

I do have a slight problem though. Due to bouncing around my welding books have been lost over the 8 years about the different processes that the school gave me so im looking for a good book so i can read and refresh my memory on some of the stuff. I know i can go on amazon and buy some good books. But does anyone have any recommended books?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Returning Welder

Welcome to the forum! I dont have any books but I hope you can find some soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah hopefully thanks for the welcome.
    Trained In
    GMAW 2G (Horizontal)
    FCAW 3G Vertical and 4G Overhead
    SMAW 3G Vertical and 4G Overhead
    GMAW(Pulse) 3G Vertical and 4G Overhead
    GTAW (INTRO)
    Carbon Arc Gouging (INTRO)
    Weld Symbols (INTRO)
    Distrotion Control
    Oxy/Fuel Cutting (INTRO)

Post Thanks / Like

This is considered the bible on welding and isn't that expensive. A welding supply may have it. Lincoln has several other good books too.

https://www.jflf.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PH

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to group
    I agree with Welder Dave
    Lincoln has very good books on welding.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    This is considered the bible on welding and isn't that expensive. A welding supply may have it. Lincoln has several other good books too.

https://www.jflf.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PH

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with books of course, what you really need now is plenty of arc time to get that muscle memory going again for your entry test. Find out what you will be tested on and practice that on some scrap.
    Great informative vids on weld.com and weldingtipsandtricks.com covering all aspects of welding and the latest gear and settings.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Best wishes with your interview and future endeavors and hope life holds many good things for you!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Nothing wrong with books of course, what you really need now is plenty of arc time to get that muscle memory going again for your entry test. Find out what you will be tested on and practice that on some scrap.
    Great informative vids on weld.com and weldingtipsandtricks.com covering all aspects of welding and the latest gear and settings.
    I don't need to worry about the tests just yet. The place i applied for they train you anyway. You can apply there with no experience and they train you to their standards, they don't use aws because they work on nuclear submarines. But yes I do need my own welder at home probably flux core unless I talk my grandfather into cleaning some of the basement down stairs.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Flux core does great job. I would look for 240 volt far less headaches over the 120 volt.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WeldsFargo View Post
    I don't need to worry about the tests just yet. The place i applied for they train you anyway. You can apply there with no experience and they train you to their standards, they don't use aws because they work on nuclear submarines. But yes I do need my own welder at home probably flux core unless I talk my grandfather into cleaning some of the basement down stairs.